Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

Unrestored original 1959 Ford Galaxie, very low mileage, original 292 V8:

14818078588_2d37c63bfc_c.jpgUnrestored Original 1959 Galaxie by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

15001593301_153def6225_c.jpgUnrestored Original 1959 Galaxie by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

15001592281_5afb9a717b_c.jpgUnrestored Original 1959 Galaxie by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

15004317332_e6f111508a_c.jpgUnrestored Original 1959 Galaxie by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

Series 1 E's have covered HL, thin taillights above rear bumper. Both 61-64 3.8's and 65-67s 4.2's PS external latches only on early cars 61 ~500 built

Series 1.5 E's have open headlights but essentially same as a 1. Late 67 production early 68

Series 2 E's have open HL, more chrome, taillights rectangular, under bumper. huge turn signals and side marker lights. Knock-off's replaced by center lock nut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_E-Type

"Less widely known, right at the end of Series 1 production and prior to the transitional "Series 1½" referred to below, a very small number 10 to 20 Series 1 cars were produced, with open headlights in the uk, these series one cars that had their head lights modified by removing the covers and altering the scoops they sit in, the headlights differ in several respects from the "production" Series 1½, the main being they are shorter at 143mm from the production Series 1½ at 160mm .[17][18]Production dates on these machines vary but in right hand drive form production has been verified as late as March 1968.[19] The low number of these cars produced make them amongst the rarest of all production E Types.

Following the Series 1 there was a transitional series of cars built in 1967–68, unofficially called "Series 1½", which are externally similar to Series 1 cars. Due to American pressure the new features were open headlights, different switches, and some de-tuning (using two Zenith-Stromberg carburetters instead of the original three SUs) for US models. Some Series 1½ cars also have twin cooling fans and adjustable seat backs. Series 2 features were gradually introduced into the Series 1, creating the unofficial Series 1½ cars, but always with the Series 1 body style. A United States federal safety law affecting 1968 model year cars sold in the US was the reason for the lack of headlight covers and change in switch design in the "Series 1.5" of 1968. An often overlooked change, one that is often "modified back" to the older style, is the wheel knock-off "nut." US safety law for 1968 models also forbid the winged-spinner knockoff, and any 1968 model year sold in the US should have a hexagonal knockoff nut, to be hammered on and off with the assistance of a special "socket" included with the car from the factory. This hexagonal nut carried on into the later Series 2 and 3."

Series 1

Jaguar_E_Type_Series-1_1961_Strother_Mac

Series 1.5

492-NTXT2_1.jpg

Series 2

24807801-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

I'd give you more pics but S2 is just too ugly to look at. Still have a 67 in family since new. Had 61, 64, 67, 67 1.5, and 69 2 seater. Open headlights killed it, all the trim got clunky. Sad.

Edited by keyser

which was about as bright as disallowing headlamps that turn with the front wheels, like on the Citroen big cars. You wouldn't want to see around the corner you are going through now would you. America is so full of idiots sometimes, especially those who make the rules.

jb

Speaking of headlight covers, I saw a shiny red covered-headlight VW Bug convertible (nice black-with-red-piping folded-top-cover), an early beige (small bumpers) VW fastback, and a non-rubber-bumper Corvette C3 convert, bright red too. All cars being driven.

America is so full of idiots sometimes, especially those who make the rules.

jb

Yup.

Series 1.5 E's have open headlights but essentially same as a 1. Late 67 production early 68

We just used to call 'em "late Series I" as opposed to "early Series I".

I guess we weren't hip enough to call 'em "1.5".

The later series one cars did have un-covered headlights, but retained the small, over-bumper parking lights (as per keyser's pix). These cars have also been wrecked and repaired, modified, etc. over the years, so you just never know what you've got until you dig into a specific car. Internet experts don't always get it right either.

Also running changes were made by Jaguar as the Series 1 morphed into 1.5 and then 2... so there can be some differences among Series 1.5 cars as the transition was being made. And 1.5 export cars were different at times from home-market 1.5 cars.

Very confusing...

As I implied, the red car could be the right year for a "1.5", but somewhere along the line it could have received an earlier bonnet. They interchange (although they have to be hand-fitted to the specific car; even the factory replacement bonnets came with an unfinished rear edge that had to be trimmed to fit). Collision repair wasn't always done in strict accordance with "correct".

Also you've got restorations, and "restorations" where whatever happens to be there is given a quick coat of shiny paint after the rot holes are fiberglassed over and bondoed or undercoated, and a dealer photographs the resulting mess and asks stupid money for it. Then some wannabe-expert re-posts the incorrectly-labeled photos, and more wrong information is spread like a virus. Pretty soon everybody is a Jag (or fill-in-the-blank) "expert".

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Funny how the "sealed beam" was the only legal lighting (headlights) in this country for ages (the Euro-style units were far superior in light output and management)...because the reflectors of the separate-bulb European-style units tended to tarnish sometimes (reducing light output)...but today, separate-bulb units are ubiquitous but the Fed doesn't seem to care that the crapp plastic the lenses are made of becomes yellowed excrement in a few years, reducing light output by as much as 50%.

America is so full of idiots sometimes, especially those who make the rules.

A sealed-beam headlight replacement used to cost a few bucks. Toyota says that replacing a normal non-LED headlight on a Prius should cost about $641 a side. The unit itself costs $484.70 and the average national labor rate at a Toyota shop is $93.75/hr.

:rolleyes:

A sealed-beam headlight replacement used to cost a few bucks. Toyota says that replacing a normal non-LED headlight on a Prius should cost about $641 a side. The unit itself costs $484.70 and the average national labor rate at a Toyota shop is $93.75/hr.

:rolleyes:

Yes, but in many cases you can buy just the bulb for $15 to $25. Replacing it its another matter.

Whereas the old "obsolete" round or rectangular bulbs (sealed-beam OR separate-bulb Euro-style) could be serviced with a phillips-head screwdriver from the front by most "average Joes"...though I HAVE seen several put in upside down) , it takes partial disassembly of the vehicle to get access to some of the more poorly-designed headlight installations in production vehicles. Ever see a car you had to take the wheel off of to get the headlight bulb replaced? I have.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Scott, regs didn't really start for 67 year, it was 68 production, so if it was a 68 built in June 67, it had to have side markers, belts, uncovered HL, and lame smog.

JCNA concours are knowledgeable, but E restoration is so stupid expensive, lots of klugeing happens. Series 1.5's with S1 signals often were converted to covered lights, as uncovered is nasty. I recently saw an awesome S3 converted to covered lights, dechromed, 5-speed, and Minilites with k/o's and a built 12. If it was roadster I'd own it.

Now that S1's bring stupid $, lots of rust buckets will get bondo'ed and flipped. And more S2's will get cheap conversions to S1's Caveat Emptor. :blink:

My E63S wagon has LED's everywhere, and beams follow road and adjust pattern on the fly. Not a single bulb in the car. Xenons awesome too, but ballasts can be heavy. Adaptive lights great for running rural and mountain roads.

Edited by keyser

I saw a 68/69ish Camaro sitting at a mechanic shop. Dark red with white stripes. Rally wheels, really clean.

Late 60s Elco. Parked under a tree, letting moss grow on it. Shame.

Late 40s/early 50s Chevy sedan. Not sure what it is. Sitting in a driveway, no front bumper. Been there for as long as I can remember. I hope it's a wip. Dark red, white top..

1969/70 Mustang, sitting beside a garage. Dark green, no fenders or hood. Sitting on jackstands.

Scott, regs didn't really start for 67 year, it was 68 production, so if it was a 68 built in June 67, it had to have side markers, belts, uncovered HL, and lame smog.

JCNA concours are knowledgeable, but E restoration is so stupid expensive, lots of klugeing happens. Series 1.5's with S1 signals often were converted to covered lights, as uncovered is nasty. I recently saw an awesome S3 converted to covered lights, dechromed, 5-speed, and Minilites with k/o's and a built 12. If it was roadster I'd own it.

Now that S1's bring stupid $, lots of rust buckets will get bondo'ed and flipped. And more S2's will get cheap conversions to S1's Caveat Emptor. :blink:

My E63S wagon has LED's everywhere, and beams follow road and adjust pattern on the fly. Not a single bulb in the car. Xenons awesome too, but ballasts can be heavy. Adaptive lights great for running rural and mountain roads.

I got to tell you I'm confused on this one. I'm pretty sure that cars built for US consumption, starting on January 1, 1967, were required by law to not have covered headlights. (Or knock off spinners with blades.) I did a Google search on 1967 Jaguar XKEs. Most photos show the cars with covers. Some without. And Wikipedia agrees with you, Lee. Other sources I have are vague on the matter, but seen to point to '68 being the first year without covers or spinner blades.

All other manufactures complied with these rules for 1967. Why not Jaguar? The only thing I can think of, is all 1967 Jaguar XKEs sold in the United States were built before January 1, 1967. Those built after were considered '68s. Things like that were known to be done. By the way, the only other vehicle that I know of that used covered headlights in 1967, is the last of the first generation Volkswagen Transporters. The Beetle made the switch. But, the old "hippie bus" did not. So I just don't know. Why were these two vehicles, the XKE and the Transporter exempt of this regulation? I need to do more research.

I also find it interesting that Jaguar did not list any sedans for sale in the US as 1968 models. The last US spec Jag 340s and 420 were '67s. The first XJ sedans on this side of the pond were considered '69s. I'm sure Jaguar didn't go a whole year not building sedans.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Okay. Doing some more checking on line. Reading several Jaguar forums on the subject. It sounds like my guess is correct. 1967 Jaguar XKE, Series 1 cars built before January of 1967 have covered headlamps. Those built from January 1967 on, have the open "sugar scoop" headlights. The so called Series 1.5s built later in '67 are considered 1968 models with carburetor changes to meet US emissions. Somewhere around that time, there were also changes made to dashboard.

To know if your '67 XKE has covered or open headlamps you need to look at your VIN plate and see when it was built.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

1967 Jaguar XKE, Series 1 cars built before January of 1967 have covered headlamps. Those built from January 1967 on, have the open "sugar scoop" headlights.

On October 5, 1967 Jaguar announced a revised E-type (that we now call the Series "1½") in order to meet impending US emissions legislation due to come into force on January 1, 1968. The most obvious revision to the Series 1½ was the removal of the headlight covers and the moving forward of the headlights by 2.5in.

The more research you do, the more confusing it gets!

I have two Jaguar restoration guides, and they say that there are discrepancies and contradictions even in "official" Jaguar records. If Jaguar couldn't keep it straight, how can we?