Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

I saw an Audi R8 in town this morning, first one ever. It was stopped at the light in the next lane over. I had to google it, I didn't know what it was... all I recognized was the Audi logo on the back. It was white, just like this one...

the R8 has been out for 7 years..you must not get out much.. (j/k) ;)

Metro area of 8,000,000+.... and that's the first one I've seen on the street. Go figure...

That's amazing..there have to be some around Chicagoland...I've seen them around the metro Phoenix area for years...have a silver one in my neighborhood, and there was a white one at a place I worked a few years ago..

I don't remember ever seeing one. That's not to say they aren't out and about here... just that I've never seen one before. It's a different enough looking car that I would have remembered if I ever saw one before. I don't know... I guess the types of cars people buy is pretty different out west than it is here.

I can't believe that in a metro area of 9 million people, I saw a Tesla on the road for the first time only the other day.

Or at least, it's the first one that I saw and actually recognized. I may have seen others but they didn't register... they look like many other luxury cars at a glance.

Well they all come up here in Wisconsin, Harry. I seen a ton of them. They're like snot on a toddler. Just every where and all with Illinois tags.

Edited by lordairgtar

Saw a dark metalflake gray Fisker Karma this morning at Starbucks. It's too bad the company failed, beautiful car IMO...

Also discovered they are putting in a new Dunkin Donuts across the street from one of my local Starbucks...woo hoo!!... means I'll have 4 different coffee shops/breakfast spots (and 1/2 dozen more restaurants) at one intersection less than a mile from home.

But the grille is hideous.

Wow, its kinda funny seeing what you guys are getting excited about. I guess living in Southern California makes one almost oblivious to these cars anymore.

I used to live in Santa Barbara and there were the occasional Rolls or something of that nature back in the late 70s. I myself drove a 73 Eldo ragtop plus a 54 Chevy lowrider and a 69 Buick Special muscle car. But I really don't think that there were that many cars of the hot rod type in SB. Now I live near Milwaukee and we a choc-a-block with all manor of cars from street rods, super cars and sports cars, tuner types, even JDMs. Lot's of classics. Saw a 2014 Vette at my cruise night plus a Ferarri of some newer type. Check wednesdaynightclassics.com and check the schedules for cruise nights and shows. So many cruise nights in the area and we get maybe 50 to 60 cars at mine alone. The one down the road a mile away has like a hundred on the same night.

sw5x4x.jpg

Interesting . there ARE '55's with steel fenders! I take a lot of heat for rusting my Cameo's fenders . eheh

OK .. double checked . the Cameo is a '57 .. well, I can lie about the year of the 1:1 .. like I do now saying the model is a early prototype with steel fenders ..

Edited by Foxer

Interesting . there ARE '55's with steel fenders! I take a lot of heat for rusting my Cameo's fenders . eheh

OK .. double checked . the Cameo is a '57 .. well, I can lie about the year of the 1:1 .. like I do now saying the model is a early prototype with steel fenders ..

That's not a Cameo, it's a stepside..step sides had steel fenders. The Cameo was a special edition model from '55-57 w/ smooth fiberglass fenders..

tbird-vi.jpg

I followed this one down the PA Turnpike on my way home one day. He got off at my exit, and went my way on Route 100. So I started to wonder if my wife got me a present. No such luck, he didn't turn down my street!

Yes it was taken from the drivers seat. We were at a red light!

I always thought those "new" T-birds were pretty nice looking cars. I guess they just didn't catch on... :(

I wouldn't mind having one, but they are holding their value pretty well. Which means they are out of my price range. I would expect it to have the same driving characteristics as my Jaguar S Type since they are basically the same car down under.

I always thought those "new" T-birds were pretty nice looking cars. I guess they just didn't catch on... :(

I believe they sold about as well as the first generation T-Birds from the 50's did. There seems to be a limited market, especially now days, for a car like that. It a shame. I liked the car, but had a feeling it was not going to be a big hit. Other than Corvette, what 2-seat car has done well from an American manufacturer since WWII?

Scott

If you talk to a salesmen (my uncle is one ) that worked at a dealership when they were new, they same the same thing . A two seater for the money they lacked the power they could of had. Mustangs were cheaper and faster. I liked the newer Thunderbirds I wish they would have kept them going.