Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

A 1961 Ford Galaxie. Light blue(powder blue) with matching steel wheels and dog dish hub caps. And, not "on the road", but down the road from my new house...peaking out from all the stuff piled on top of it in a garage a 1970 Dodge Challenger. I could only see the passenger side headlights and half of the grille.

Edited by The70judgeman

The Monaro (aka Pontiac GTO) was a really nice car when they intro'd it here back then, but GM dropped the ball (as usual) and didn't advertise and upgrade the car fast enough after the intro. The equally nice Commodore (aka Pontiac G8) is a car that I truly lust after, and as you said Bill-------they sound absolutely terrific on the road.

Sadly, Pontiac is gone and all those cars with it. Chevy offers the SS now, which is nothing more than the G8 reborn-----but with a pricetag of $43,000+ I won't be getting one anytime soon! :o

Yeah the Chevy SS is just a rebadged Holden Commodore as was the G8. I actually think our Commodore utes would sell ok over there if they didn't price them out of the market.

I loved the Aussie sourced GTO when it first came out! A buddy and I went to a GM drive event and I drove those over and over again. I loved the 5 speed car, the awesome sound of power and how it just hugged the course. I keep one eye out for them used, but they've held some value, there is a cult following.

I believe a few things killed the GTO. First Pontiac was on it's way out at the time. Second, it had the exact Pontiac theme styling, grill etc that made it just blend in on the Pontiac lots. It needed to stand out more as a premium car.

The third thing I remember was that the Monaro was at the end of that design cycle, so they would've had to redesign the GTO. Apparently sales weren't there to do so.

Now the Commodore ute... yea, we do need a new El Camino.. and they will screw that up by it costing too much!

I got to spend part of the day, yesterday now, driving a loaded 2015 GMC Yukon XL for my former employer (a Buick-GMC dealer). Wow! Is it nice. This was the first vehicle I've ever driven with adaptive cruise control. Boy, do I like that. Less touching the brakes and hitting the resume button. Worked much better than I expected. At one point I set the cruise at 60 on the 494/694 belt line. Tuned the XM radio to 60's on 6. It was the best and most mellow time I've had on that freeway in years. It was about 1 in the afternoon, and I only had to touch the brake pedal once between 394 and Brooklyn Boulevard. Is that nice. I also used it on an extensive run from Forest Lake, MN to Orono, MN before that. I love adaptive cruise control! I want it on my next vehicle.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Last Saturday on a bicycle ride I was stopped at a light waiting to cross a busy state highway and a line-up of cars was waiting to turn left off the highway. It included 2 Lambos, 1 Ferrari, 1 911, 2 Vipers, a late model Vette and some poor schmoe at the back of the line with a 90s Camaro! I have no clue what they were up to but it was in a wealthy area of town.

Yesterday, while on my usual delivery rounds, I spotted a black & white 1957 Oldsmobile 4 door hardtop sitting in front of a house just like it was an every day driver. Actually it looked like one. Earlier that morning, as I was walking into my place of employment, there was a 2-tone green 1962 Chrysler New Yorker 4 door sitting by the door that I've seen there many times before. (regular customer I guess) And later in the afternoon, across the street from one of my stops, at a small shop, there was a black 1957 Chevy sitting on a lift. (Couldn't make much out on this one as all I could see was the back end) And in the parking lot of the same establishment sat a red 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 XL. This time of the year in Minnesota, you start to see a lot of classics out and about as people are out for their last cruise or getting them ready for storage for the winter. Steve

Yesterday on my way home from work, I spotted a blue 56-ish Crown Victoria, followed by a pink one. then a '69 Roadrunner, then a '48 Chevy truck, then a couple other older fat fender cars I didnt get a good look at. Musta been some sort of show I missed.

I also saw a deer buy it by a fullsize chevy diesel literally right next to me. silly thing ran up to the road, got scared, turned around and ran back towards the fence, did a loop and ran right back toward the road w/ a burst of courage. Well, I knew what he was about to do, and I hit the brakes. Diesel truck didnt see him in time and WHAM! smack dab in the middle of the front end of that truck. Truck parts exploded and went everywhere. Grille, bumper, headlights, you name it! I was on edge yesterday after that!

When I was at my old employer's yesterday (the Buick-GMC dealer), the owner's brother had a '61 fuel-injected Corvette in the shop that I had not seen before, being worked on. I asked the mechanic working on it, if anybody knew how to service those old Rochester fuel-injection units any more? He said, that they were no big deal. That they were fairly similar to modern fuel-injection. This mechanic is a good one, so I assume he knows what he's talking about.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

When I was at my old employer's yesterday (the Buick-GMC dealer), the owner's brother had a '61 fuel-injected Corvette in the shop that I had not seen before, being worked on. I asked the mechanic working on it, if anybody knew how to service those old Rochester fuel-injection units any more? He said, that they were big deal. That they were fairly similar to modern fuel-injection. This mechanic is a good one, so I assume he knows what he's talking about.

Scott

About the only similarity between the old Rochester units and modern FI is that they're both "fuel injection". The Rochester is entirely mechanical (somewhat similar to the Bosch CIS constant-flow systems from '73 through '94) while today's units are entirely computer-controlled, in many cases without even a mechanical link between the gas pedal and the actual throttle butterfly.

Of course, a competent mechanic can work on anything he has specifications and literature on if he understands the function of the particular system or part.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

As I was reading your response Bill, it dawned as I read what I originally wrote, is that I forgot one word that could change the whole meaning of a sentence. I originally wrote, "He said, that they were big deal." It should have read, and now does, "he said, that they were no big deal." At the same time, from looking your response, you seem to have understood my meaning.

I've been finding that I do this quite a bit. Forget to put one small, but sometimes important word in a sentence. I sometimes go back days later and find the mistake. Having to edit the posting. I try and re-read everything a couple of times before posting. But, these simple mistakes slip by me. Making me look like an imbecile. So if you guys see that I edit a lot of my posts. Now you know why. You know, I are college edumicated. (And yes I spelled educated wrong as joke.) If anybody is little confused by anything I write, because it looks a little off, please feel free to question or point out the mistake. Again, I'm not the idiot I appear to be. And now you know why professional writers have editors.

Scott

Yesterday while stopping at the local Chevron station...a 1970 Plymouth Superbird was sitting at the pumps getting filled up. Hemi Orange, Hurst pistol grip shifter, Dana 60 underneath.....!!! I approached the car and asked the owner who was crouched down filling the tank if he was a local resident as I had not seen the car around town, and since the rear license plate was down could not tell where it was from. His response was that he was down on Vancouver Island visiting his mother and was on the way back to Calgary!!!

Vancouver is roughly 3 hours from Kamloops over a some what famous highway....(think of Jamie Davis Towing and the tv show Highway thru Hell....the Coquhallia Highway...been there...PLOWED that in the winter and bought the t-shirt LOL!!!). Now once you get down there...you have a ferry ride (an hour or so?) to get to the Island. Now......going back...same trip and add 6 to 7 hours to get to Calgary.....add it all up and it is a very long day on a bad road with not so great gas mileage...but very good aerodynamics!!! So needless to say...I was very surprised that someone would drive a car that is worth as much as they are, on such a long trip. Kudos to the owner for doing what most people forgot what they were built for....DRIVING!!!

Edited by dieseldog1970

Yesterday while stopping at the local Chevron station...a 1970 Plymouth Superbird was sitting at the pumps getting filled up. Hemi Orange, Hurst pistol grip shifter, Dana 60 underneath.....!!! I approached the car and asked the owner who was crouched down filling the tank if he was a local resident as I had not seen the car around town, and since the rear license plate was down could not tell where it was from. His response was that he was down on Vancouver Island visiting his mother and was on the way back to Calgary!!!

Vancouver is roughly 3 hours from Kamloops over a some what famous highway....(think of Jamie Davis Towing and the tv show Highway thru Hell....the Coquhallia Highway...been there...PLOWED that in the winter and bought the t-shirt LOL!!!). Now once you get down there...you have a ferry ride (an hour or so?) to get to the Island. Now......going back...same trip and add 6 to 7 hours to get to Calgary.....add it all up and it is a very long day on a bad road with not so great gas mileage...but very good aerodynamics!!! So needless to say...I was very surprised that someone would drive a car that is worth as much as they are, on such a long trip. Kudos to the owner for doing what most people forgot what they were built for....DRIVING!!!

I wouldn't drive a Superbird like that if I had one. Cruising around town, sure. Going long distance? Don't think so.