Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1961 Pontiac news

GM did some really neat things with their '61 offerings. While fins were on their way out (as opposed to those crazy '59's), they still managed to captured the essence of fins without going totally out of their minds. There's everything to like about this car------thin pillared "bubbletop" roofline, neatly blended in tailfins, nice sweeping windshield without that knee-knocking dogleg, etc.

Too bad GM today follows a somewhat "me too" styling philosophy. Back then, they were on top of the world with styling and the world knew it. ;)

The '61 Pontiac is probably my favorite GM '61, but I also love the Olds and Cadillacs with their wonderful skegs..

There's a little feature of this kit that I think is gonna blow a lot of minds (not to mention inspire creative thinking!) ;)

Art

Hmmm... what could that be?!?!? Maybe the interior is broken down by color to make painting easier? That would blow my mind to see it on a domestic kit.

I'm absolutely in love with this one! :wub: That color is fantastic, and just the shade of blue that I want to paint mine someday!

That is a sharp one, Bill! I'm pretty sure that car is "Tradewind Blue," which was actually a good bit lighter, or paler, than it appears in this over-saturated shot. Used on a number of other GM cars that year.

Having owned '58 & '59 Star Chiefs, a '61 Catalina, and a '65 Bonneville, I've got to say that the '61 was the best driving car of all of them. Much more balanced than the others.

This is an example of why Moebius is succeeding. Dave is teasing us keeping us informed and updated on the upcoming kits. There is a lot of anticipation building with these releases. I was going to let the Pontiacs slide, and buy the Pickups, the Cyclones, more of the Cyclones and a couple of the Plymouths. Now with the photos being posted in this thread, and all of the discussion about the real cars, I will have to pick up a couple of these too. (And I thought I was too old for peer pressure!) While all of you are drooling over the blue one (And rightfully so), I really like the light yellow one. Based on my past experience with Moebius, I will probably buy these without having to see one first. They seem to be making good kits.

Make great kits of nice cars, treat your customers like the gold they are, and you might just make it in this business! Dave, thanks for posting, keeping us informed and not letting the few "Negative Nellies" on the internet drive you away. Also, make sure you get a commission on the Pontiacs I buy.

Awww Mannnn! Right after I post about how much I love the Yellow one, you have to post THAT? It's okay... red cars are overrated... I can resist... :wub:

I wonder if MCW or Scalefinishes makes that color. That is the perfect example of why American Iron used to rule the road. That car is gorgeous. Great Post Gerry.

Edited by DaveM

Just found this thread about the 61... Very cool -- will have to get some when they come out...A friend of mine back in the late 60s bought a Candy Red - 421 cu in - Glass Front end - Aluminum Bumpers - and Red Lexan Windows - Aluminum Wheels.. Was really a cool car..Was also very fast for its weight....

There's a little feature of this kit that I think is gonna blow a lot of minds (not to mention inspire creative thinking!) ;)

Art

Ya better start talking Art!

Awww Mannnn! Right after I post about how much I love the Yellow one, you have to post THAT? It's okay... red cars are overrated... I can resist... :wub:

I wonder if MCW or Scalefinishes makes that color. That is the perfect example of why American Iron used to rule the road. That car is gorgeous. Great Post Gary.

Pontiac's Coronado Red is the same as Chevy Honduras Maroon. I'm sure they have it. You can even get it in Testors lacquer.

The car pictured might just be good ol' Resale Red, though.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Yeah. I checked the color charts and Googled right after posting. It doesn't quite look like Honduras Maroon in those pics, but it seems to be a bit more red than Dawnfire Mist Poly. You might be right in calling it a repaint. I actually have a can of that Honduras Maroon. I might just go that way, as that would look nice too.

Thanks,

Dave

DSCF5779_zps0a8afa0e.jpg

DSCF5780_zps17d10704.jpg

DSCF5781_zps2b451a83.jpg

I think what we're seeing here are bright photos shot in yellow-orange late afternoon or early morning in light that's brightening the Coronado Red paint on this car to the point where in some of the shots it looks a solid bright red, rather than the true maroon or dark red metallic. In the sun this color will always look brighter than it does on a color chip.

In the shot of the front wheel, the color on the fender does look metallic. In the interior shot you can see how the brighter red on the front seat which is Coronado Red "morrokide" looks as bright red-orange as the outside of the car.

Pontiac sure got these cars right!

Pontiac's Coronado Red is the same as Chevy Honduras Maroon. I'm sure they have it. You can even get it in Testors lacquer.

The car pictured might just be good ol' Resale Red, though.

Scale Finishes does have Honduran Maroon/Coronado Red--I have a bottle of it waiting on my shelf!

Art

I think what we're seeing here are bright photos shot in yellow-orange late afternoon or early morning in light that's brightening the Coronado Red paint on this car to the point where in some of the shots it looks a solid bright red, rather than the true maroon or dark red metallic. In the sun this color will always look brighter than it does on a color chip.

In the shot of the front wheel, the color on the fender does look metallic. In the interior shot you can see how the brighter red on the front seat which is Coronado Red "morrokide" looks as bright red-orange as the outside of the car.

Pontiac sure got these cars right!

Yeah, after looking at them on a different screen, I'm now sure that's Coronado Red/Honduras Maroon.