Model Cars Magazine Forum

Absolutely outstanding, Bob! Loved everything about this build, and I'm in awe of your skills in getting this one so right. Really love the blue interior with the silver paint, and you made the right call switching to those new wheels.

About the only critique I can make is really more of a pointer for anyone trying to convert one of these AMT Chevelle stock cars. Even though AMT updated this kit to a 74 model year with the new rear bumper, taillight covers, and small quarter windows, they didn't change the front bumper to the correct 74 style.

There are actually three different styles of steel front bumpers for the 73-77 Chevelles and El Caminos:

The 73 model year front bumper was a one year only design:

attachicon.gifimage-73.jpg

74 and 75 had a different bumper, with the areas under the parking lights "undercut", for lack of a better term. In my opinion, this is a sleeker design:

attachicon.gif221178_11765868_1974_Chevrolet_El+Camino+SS.jpg

76 and 77 had a different bumper again. Somewhat similar to the 73 style, but the bottom corners actually extend out slightly, making it look even a bit bulkier than the 73:

attachicon.gif77chev74327-1.jpg

Since you replaced your front clip, I don't know which year bumper you actually might have used on your 1:1. By the same token, chances are that the 76 El Camino that donated your grill was not an SS, but factory 75 to 77 Super Sport grilles will have a small SS badge on the driver side, as seen in the pic of the 77 above. Here's a close-up of an NOS SS badge:

attachicon.gifBOXA4PartII042.jpg

These are quite a bit smaller than the 73-74 SS badges that were in the center of the grilles in those years, so it would be kind of tough to actually duplicate it.

This is actually pretty nitpicky stuff, and take's nothing away from your build. If I could develop half the skills you have, I'd be more than satisfied!

Thank you very much Robert !

And thanks for jogging my memory about the bumpers , I completely forgot about the differences ! I agree that the '74 - '75 bumper is the nicest looking and I remember specifically not buying the bumper with the front clip because I didn't care for the way it looked . Actually the front clip parts I bought came off of two different El Camino's that were sitting side by side and I don't think either one was an SS ( it was 26 years ago ! ) .

I just checked the PE set that I got the scripts and Bowtie from ( MCG - 2266 1970 Chevelle ) and it has small SS badges on it so I might see how one looks on the grille . This set also had a small El Camino script I used on the tailgate and a small Bowtie on a key fob !

Thanks again for the info .

Here's the PE set :

MCG-2266_zpsb1338e0e.jpg

This must be one of the coolest models I've seen in a long time! First, the body is really nice and these 3rd Gen GM A-Bodies are really nice cars (Not only because I race Stock Eliminator with one ;) ). It's great to see someone building one of these, especially when it needed this much cutting and slicing.

I know I don't see the flaws on body shapes very easily, but I think you nailed the body. After someone mentioned the front bumber being a bit too short from the sides, I noticed the same thing, but otherwise I think you did the bodywork perfectly.

Overall this is a very clean and nice model. The paint job and those little details all over, especially in the engine bay, make it look very realistic. I like the interior, too. The amount of modifications in this short time amazes me, I know I'd have hard time building a Box Stock kit in that time! Overall, great work, and to make sure everyone "gets it", I'll say I Like The Subject!!!

This must be one of the coolest models I've seen in a long time! First, the body is really nice and these 3rd Gen GM A-Bodies are really nice cars (Not only because I race Stock Eliminator with one ;) ). It's great to see someone building one of these, especially when it needed this much cutting and slicing.

I know I don't see the flaws on body shapes very easily, but I think you nailed the body. After someone mentioned the front bumber being a bit too short from the sides, I noticed the same thing, but otherwise I think you did the bodywork perfectly.

Overall this is a very clean and nice model. The paint job and those little details all over, especially in the engine bay, make it look very realistic. I like the interior, too. The amount of modifications in this short time amazes me, I know I'd have hard time building a Box Stock kit in that time! Overall, great work, and to make sure everyone "gets it", I'll say I Like The Subject!!!

Thank you very much Niko , I know that you are into A - Bodies as much as I am so I really appreciate your comments !

And I'm really looking forward to seeing your Chevelle go together , I'm still on the waiting list to get one ! :D

Thank you everyone for the comments , I appreciate it very much !

Motor City Resin is working on a resin '73 El Camino right now . I've been planning my build for quite a while so I didn't want to wait , but I plan on buying one as soon as they are available ! :)

I love that. I still say if you cast it, I'de buy it. There is more then enough room in the market for the two of you considering the different years. Now if someone would do a 73-77 Malibu or Vista Cruiser wagon ..........

• 5 months later...

Bob,

It's the nicest mid '70s El Camino ever put in 1:25, without a doubt. Finding fault is a daunting task, but since you asked, the front overhang is a tad long. Fender and hood length are correct, I'd say pull 1.5-2mm out of the header panel, back the bumper up to the fender seam and you're right there. Other than that, nothing, and that includes the way-tricky rear B pillar slope.

1977_chevrolet_el_camino-pic-61175.jpeg

-MJS

I totally concur. The first "brand-new" car I ever purchased was a 1977 El Camino SS, EXACTLY like your replica, except the interior in my 1:1 scale Elky was black, and I kept the stock rallye wheels. Seeing your buildup brought back a flood of fond memories for both me, and my wife! I totally LOVE this build!!

IMHO, you should get with a resin-caster, and create a master for this model!!

• 4 years later...

Sutch a beautifull build! and your skills are top notch! a real work of art! I have 3 of this generation chevelles all MPC, and one Cutlass and they do need work to look even close to that good and more so to look stock! Great work again! The Cutlass is under glas btw.