Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trumpeter 1/12 scale Ford GT40

MrObsessive

Here's some photos of it from the Stevens International booth at I-hobby Expo last fall.

Picture065-vi.jpg

Picture066-vi.jpg

Picture067-vi.jpg

Note the disclaimer on the sign in this photo. It's interesting they diplayed it with all the correction markings and the short shot on the left windshield post. Must have been the only copy of it state side at the time.

-Steve

Len, Rally:

I recently built this car (from the Fujimi kit). I spent a lot of time carefully studying all the photos I could find on the internet via Google Images and lots of search terms. None of them has a really clear shot of the right-hand side of the car when it's clean (i.e. early in the race or before the start). After learning about the fern and "NZ" (I think from Chris Amon's foreward in the Dave Friedman GT40 book?), I looked again. On one or two of the photos, the letters "NZ" and what might be a fern can be seen. It starts roughly between the letters and curves toward the rear of the car.

From the Nevada SAAC site:

This is probably the best one-look on the front fender behind the wheel, at roughly the same level as the "R" in Goodyear on the tire:

http://www.nvsaac.com/photogallery/images/...d%20%20MkII.jpg

These two take a bit more imagination:

http://www.nvsaac.com/photogallery/images/...d%20%20MkII.JPG

http://www.nvsaac.com/photogallery/images/...d%20%20MkII.JPG

It's still probably debatable, but my mind has decided it's there. The 1/24 Fred Cady decal sheet for this car has letters and ferns. Hope this is helpful!

On topic: Looks like a great kit; I'm sure it will be complete with everything you could want and more. Too bad that the price alone will prevent me from buying one in the foreseeable future.

Len.

I must be wrong. I remember McLaren had the Fern (a traditional NZ racing emblem) on one of the Ford GT's but I cannot find it on the 66 LM winner. My Bad

Rally Rabbit]

Texas

• 2 weeks later...

After my experiences with the 1:25 scale stuff from this company, I'll at least wait to see what's written in MC before I consider one of these. IMO they have a tendancy to overcomplicate things and sometimes miss key dimensions.

Edited by samdiego

Hello Everyone,

I e-mailed Matthew Wells from ScaleMotorSports and they will be doing a super detail kit for the Trumpeter 1/12 GT40 MkII.

He wouldn't say what will be included but said that it would be very special.

I hope that its not a limited run....and if its anything like their 1/12 Porsche kit....then its gonna be over the top AWESOME!!!

Count me in!!!.......might be in the $650.00 range??? who knows...I'm still in!!

• 4 weeks later...

The Trumpeter kit is slated for late July....the super detail kit will follow in the the fall...They do state that Trumpeter's kit has to be of high quality or they will not proceed with it...more to come when they inspect the kit in July.

I'm definitely in...I'm sick of 1/24 scale curbside GT40's!...This is as close to real thing as its gonna get!

I wished they came out with the MkI first (gulf #6 Le Mans) I love the back end of the MkI's better..The lines are beautiful!

I'm on the list too with Strada Motorsports. I can't wait for this kit!

I just hope that it's as good as the test shots show without any major foibles............When I'll build it though is anyone's guess! :unsure:

I'm definitely in...I'm sick of 1/24 scale curbside GT40's!...This is as close to real thing as its gonna get!

I wished they came out with the MkI first (gulf #6 Le Mans) I love the back end of the MkI's better..The lines are beautiful!

I'd stay tuned for a Gulf car................if this does as well as everyone hopes, we should see that one down the road. ;)

Yes, I agree------the Mark I's are about as close to perfection as you can get!

Interesting! I always preferred the back of the the MkIIs. I liked the slightly more aggressive look of the air intakes, the slightly more squared side body panels and the Halibrands. Looked slightly more muscular. Also like the sound of the big block better. Just my personal preference. :rolleyes:

Yowza.

Based on 'em website pics, 'fI was with SMS, I'd be cracking on the drafts right now.

There are some wtf elements, like the honking steel girder fanbelt and the featureless seats - but all told, this looks like a perfect canvas for Scale Motorsport; a solid foundation to build on, with plenty of room to add all sorts of kool SMS-type whiz-bang.

Make one, boys, and I will buy...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

There is almost no chrome on the real car, why have a chrome sprue at all?

And those molded on belts!! With subject matter of this size even Revell in the 70's put rubber belts on their TF/Funny car kits. It's easier to mold round pullys and supply belt material.

Most of it does look quite nice but I question the logic of the belt and the chrome sprue. I have felt for a long time that co's should offer 2 versions of akitwith chrome sprues and without them. It saves them money anyway. And it saves many of us the hassle of de-chroming and having to deal with the barrier left behind in order to either re-chrome or paint the item in its correct color. Not only that, I despise parting lines so it all gets sanded anyway.

With a kit of this order of magnitude, I should not have to buy an aftermarket kit to make a truly accurate and pleasing model. The aftermarket can certainly up the ante, but the belts and perhaps some other niggles will make it [for me] a head scratcher at this price level.

I'll still pony up for it of course.

Bob

There is almost no chrome on the real car, why have a chrome sprue at all?

Almost no chrome?? I just reviewed my photos from January and there is no chrome at all! Well, you might call the instrument bezels chrome, but that is it. Everything else is natural or polished metal. There are some anodized bits but not a lot. I was very concerned to see all the chrome parts also. In a kit of this caliber, all the sprues should be pure white styrene plastic. A few black parts, but that is it.

Also noticed foam inserts for the wheels?? Nice idea, I just hope they aren't there because of problems with the tires. I noticed on the test shots that the centers of the tread were slightly concave. OH PLEASE, don't let this be a disaster!!

I wouldn't worry about all that too much....SMS will probably have lots of photo-etch and turned metal parts to replace all that....hopefully we will get resin seats too....Trumpeter just has to get the proportions right...maybe we will only need the body and part of the chasis and SMS will take care of the rest.....Did I just raise the bar???