Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ever think about modeling cartoon art ?

Not only have I thought about it, I've done it! Back in the day, I modeled the hood lump on this '66 Skylark off one I saw on a '67 Chevelle in CarToons or Hot Rod Cartoons, just 'cause I thought it looked SO bitchin'. Of course there were no '67 or '66 kits in those days so I got as close as I could.

66SkylarkOld.jpg

Nowadays I could get the same effect by using the hood lump on the Revell '67 Pro Street kit.

There's another car I saw in one of those CarToons mags that I WANT to model, sooner or later. Jacked up '57 Chev hardtop, straight front axle, no front bumper but did still have the grille in place, or maybe it was just the stock grill bar "floating." Oh yeah I'm gonna build that bad boy sooner or later!

Yes. I'm actively looking for a few 1/20 scale engines/wheels/tires to add to some 1/25 scale models to let my inner Trosley go wild.

Next time you're at Walmart, toy store, flea market, etc., take a look at diecasts and other toys. These sometimes have oversized blowers & scoops and stuff coming through the hood.

In fact, I think I have a '57 Chevy sedan delivery diecast that has or had one of those. I'm plugging the hole in the hood. If I can find that oversized blower, it's yours.

cuter.jpg

Oh man, give me a break! "I'll have to use that the next time I drive to a Chamber of Commerce meeting." What!? That thing is terrible! Would it even be street legal? I don't see any headlights for one thing. That's carrying the idea a little too far.

And I do remember the Jolly Roger street rod model. I never like that one either. But, it looked better than the above!

Scott

I have a reasonable collection of those old hot rod comics and as you read through them you will be surprised to see how many of the artists used models as their inspiration. I have seen AMT, Lindberg and Pyro models as artwork - certain details and proportions make it obvious what they looked at to get the drawing!

In fact, that channelled 32 roadster in the first photo has a passing resemblance to Monogram's 1/32 scale model form the sixties.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton

Here are a few for inspiration

attachicon.gifcartoon-cars-clipart-5.jpg

Y'know, I've taken a look at a few of those toys at Walmart with an eye to "Now what could I do with THAT and some Model-fu?" So far I haven't seen one yet that inspired me enough to actually purchase it with U.S. cash dollars--but I ain't sayin' it COULDN'T happen.... B)

I have been working on one of the "Roarin' Rods" trying to make it a more realistic customs, which is pretty much the opposite of what you are talking about.

On topic: I have a few Initial-D kits and I plan on building a Nissan Silvia that is all crazy wide fender flares and wings that is from another Japanese cartoon. And who hasn't wanted to build the entire line up of Speed Racer cars. I'd like to get my hands on some of the cars from the movie with John Goodman as Pops.