Model Cars Magazine Forum

Used to be no one would touch a fordor

I always like a good looking rod, two or four doors. I like station wagons too, I'm not fussy. Hey, I would like to grab a couple of the old '59 Chevy pickup kits, and bash them into a fourdoor, just for fun. Might even shorten the bed, might not. I don't have a pic, but I recently started combining 2 '67 Camaros together to make a stretched 4-door. It's fun mashing plastic, after all.

Just waiting for our Australian friends to chime in, especially about Falcon GT sedans...

A9X Torana sedan was a better looking car IMO, but the prices people pay for an XY GTHO is scary, but I guess in '71 they were the world's fastest four door sedan.

A lot of our factory racers down here were four doors, GT Fords, L34 and A9X Toranas, Brock Commodores all great looking cars.

zs3_zpsa1c49ce1.jpg

zs_zps50f30714.jpg

zs1_zps86598779.jpg

Just waiting for our Australian friends to chime in, especially about Falcon GT sedans...

Drove one years ago ,

Big bulky heavy car , went very fast but hard to stop and even heavier to steer .When i drove it it reminded me of the kenworth s2 i drove in the 70's .

Yes, they are selling a LOT of " more door trucks now days with a short bed as well. I prefer a standard cab with a long bed myself., as 85-90% of the time I'm the only one in the cab, and when I want to haul I have plenty of room to do so.

Agreed 100%

You cant even find one on the lots these days tho

In 1978 a friend of mine that I grew up with in the old neighborhood of Detroit bought a mint 1972 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 75 from a local funeral home for 3 grand,

It was in mint condition and only had 20 thousand miles.

We thought he was crazy for buying it-Back then you could buy a really nice muscle car for that kind of cash.

After awhile all the kids in the neighborhood grew to love that car, 10 kids could pile in it and the cops never gave it a second look. We always took it to the drive in movies or the beach. We even took it camping a few times.

It was a nicer car than most of our parents drove at the time.

I don't have any pictures of that car but did find an exact copy on line, and same dark blue color.

72cadillacfleet751_zpsd287bd07.jpg

This maybea dumb question but was fordor just fords and other manufacturers unique way of spelling four door same question about with two door and tudor?

Your right, it is a dumb question. :) Just kidding. There really are no dumb questions as far as I'm concerned. Yes Fordor and Tudor were Ford only spellings for the most part. Other may have been others who used "Tudor" too. But, I've never seen it.

- Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Argh! I had a whole response typed and went to hit "POST" and my left hand went over some key that deleted the entire post!

So here I type again... I never had an issue with four door cars. Maybe because I grew up in countries where they were more common due to tax laws that put extra costs on 2 doors as a luxury. Think Europe and Australia. And four door car have been more the norm in the US for the past 20 years or so, so young folks today have no bias. My daughter who is 31 and single bought a Ford Fusion. When I asked she said she wanted four doors because it was easier to get in and out.

I do like the photos in the first few posts here, I had been lusting over a '34 Ford Fordor street rod on eBay. I believe that these look better than two doors of that same era since they have that coach look with extra quarter windows behind the rear doors. And I'd buy that car just because it's a bit different than everyone else's street rod.

I also had a thing for a yellow and black '56 Chevy 4 door hardtop I saw for sale. It even had a six and powerglide! And it could be had for at least $10k less than a two door! I would have been proud to own that one as well!

And a funny story about four door bias... going a ways back, my friend Greg was on the ropes. He had gotten divorced, lost his job, had no car and was living in a Single Room Occupancy hotel. My father had a 1977 Ford LTD II four door sedan that we had collectively put 200,000 on it. He had recently found a similar 2 door hardtop with 50,000 miles on it, so he was upgrading. He had planned on selling the sedan, but hearing Greg's plight, he offered to give him the car, knowing he needed a car to find a job.

So I picked up Greg and brought him to my dad's house. He looked at the two cars sitting side by side in the driveway and told my father that he wouldn't be caught dead in a four door, but he'd be happy to accept the two door for free. My father went nuts! He chased Greg off the property!

Edited by Tom Geiger