Model Cars Magazine Forum

1911 Chevy kit up for bids - break out the popcorn...

That seller has been listing soooo many kits for quite some time - either he/she was a massive collector, related to one, or found the world's largest model kit hoarder. Tons of die casts too. Crazy. Most don't have boxes either...

Is that a complete model?

Here is one to watch as well...rare 1966 Tamiya Plymouth slot car...come of these slot cars sell for thousands of dollars...

Extremely rare SMP promo item; more on this thread:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50596&hl=%2B1911+%2Bchevy#entry564506

This one does look complete to me; the kit didn't have an engine. I see all four wheels and the spare, the gas tank, hood, radiator, headlights, cowl lights, lenses, windshield, dash, steering wheel, seats, front suspension, crank, and the rear end is on the chassis. That's all there is to this kit.

Edit: I see two of the four little conical hubcaps/wheel retainers - the others might be under something.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

That seller has been listing soooo many kits for quite some time - either he/she was a massive collector, related to one, or found the world's largest model kit hoarder. Tons of die casts too. Crazy. Most don't have boxes either...

Is that a complete model?

Here is one to watch as well...rare 1966 Tamiya Plymouth slot car...come of these slot cars sell for thousands of dollars...

I think I've bought a couple of kits from this guy. Recently I got a very nice '65 Dodge Monaco from him. If I recall correctly, he was selling off a collection of an old gentleman who had passed on & his wife needed to get rid of his massive collection. I believe he had taken all of the parts off of the trees & placed them in plastic bags to save space. He must be coming into the home stretch. He had a lot more rare kits & resins a couple of months ago. I went back & looked & I bought my '66 Chrysler 300 from him as well. Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

StilI at $25.00.

I just noticed something when looking at the Stutz that Bruce Bowser posted in Under Glass - the 10-spoke front wheels look like a perfect match for the ones on the real 1911 Chevy; the 12-spoke rears will work with the bulges removed and look heavier than the SMP ones - and more like the real thing. The kit wheels are all 12-spoke and look too skinny.

post-12159-0-03707200-1415279459_thumb.j

I think with the right combination of (Kevin) Lutz and Stutz I might just want to tackle one of these!

I've been outbid. again whats so special about this kit? is it some rare promo or something? because frankly I don't see how a 1911 cheby, and likely incomplete at that, is going to raise much interest. I must not know something.

jb

The SMP 1911 Chevrolet Prototype is a rare kit. It was produced both as a promotional model for distribution to Chevrolet Dealers as well as a kit, again for Chevy Dealers--and was NOT available to the hobby shop trade. Upon the completion of production, the tooling was destroyed, to protect that exclusivity. Both the kit and promotional models were not readily found back in 1961-62, and tend to be rather scarce today as well.

The late Mike Watgen (Mike's Miniature Motors--Mike passed away in early May 1994) cast the kit in resin, and Missing Link Models is in the process of bringing one of the kits back to life in resin once again.

Art

The story I heard, and related in my book (Collecting Model Cars and Truck Kits) is that the 1911 Chevy was tooled in an aluminum mold specifically for a dealer sales incentive promotion for Chevy's Golden Anniversary. These were plaques with assembled promo-type models of the '62 Impala hardtop and the 1911 (some say it's a 1912) Chevy Touring, and painted in a low-gloss gold color.

Tooling in Aluminum is much cheaper than the steel used for most model car tooling. But it has a very low volume useful life, and according to the version relayed to me. that was the reason the project was stopped (after the instruction sheet was completed, but before box art was developed).

This information is probably 30+ years old by now, so we should not assume it is any more factually correct than the info relayed by Art above.

For those interested, the story of the kit is detailed in a sidebar on p 97 of my book, along with a Black and White photo showing the kit contents and the instruction sheet.

TIM