Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Ford Del Rio Ranch Wagon 2'n'1

Matt T.

i'm a little confused what the vote is for, but mine will be "Yes".

That'd be a nod to keyser for parsing things down with a certain catchy, irrefutable economy - even those of us who prefer to fight fire with napalm can appreciate that. B)

And no, there ain't nothin' wrong with painting and assembling at all, in itself. It's the insistence that people point out problems ONLY because they're "kit assemblers" that's the kind of nonsense so obvious it should have been retired long ago.

If somebody likes a problematic kit, nobody tells him how act or think about it. Nobody hints he's somehow lacking as a modeler, nobody tells him he shouldn't be appreciative, nobody tells him not to buy it (ironically, he's more likely to be the one hollering at a critic not to buy it instead).

But in this thread, it goes even deeper than that; most anybody who's noticed an issue with the Del Rio wagon is still looking forward to the kit, still intending to buy one or several. And STILL we get the lectures about production process, or how grateful we should be for new kits, or even that ancient poppycock about how Revell will just blow its own toes off and deny itself the revenue from a new kit simply because we don't fawn over it enough.

There is a song call, the Song That Never Ends. I feel like that's what we got going on here, and I'm getting bored of it. I'm looking forward to a true review of the Del Rio Ranch Wagon when it appears. Hopefully Tim Boyd will do one of his great reviews on it. In the mean time, I'm sure it's back to the pissing contest. The Song That Never Ends.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Some definitions I found for build and assemble. You make the call:

build:

bild/

verb

verb: construct (something, typically something large) by putting parts or material together over a period of time.

verb (past and past participle built)

[with object]

1Construct (something, typically something large) by putting parts or material together over a period of time:

build verb (MAKE)

› [i/T] to make a structure or something else by putting materials together in a particular way:

verb
  1. to make, construct, or form by joining parts or materials ⇒ to build a house

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as·sem·ble:

əˈsembəl/

verb

verb: assemble; 3rd person present: assembles; past tense: assembled; past participle: assembled; gerund or present participle: assembling

fit together the separate component parts of (a machine or other object).

"a factory that assembled parts for trucks"

synonyms:

construct, build, fabricate, manufacture, erect, set up, put together, piece together, connect, join

"how to assemble the kite"

antonyms:

dismantle

assemble Syllabification: as·sem·ble

Pronunciation: /əˈsembəl/

[with object] Fit together the separate component parts of (a machine or other object): a factory that assembled parts for trucks

Well no, there's not much difference in definition between "builder" and "assembler", but there's been an apparently inadvertent shift in semantics here; the classic cliche specifically is "MODELERS vs kit assemblers", and the superiority of the former approach has long been strongly implied at a minimum and spelled right out in more extreme cases. To repeat myself, I can't really see how it matters so much if your self-esteem doesn't hinge on your hobbies, but what the hey...

And while we're on definitions, there IS a pretty clear distinction between speculation on an imminent release - TOPICAL speculation supported by hard data in preview photos and a comprehensive history of gremlins MAKING IT TO PRODUCTION (for what, the 4th time in this discussion? 5th?) - and an out-and-out review.

Just look at the kinds of distortion necessary to make these non-points.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

I just love semantic distinctions. Consider these.

Scale Model: A scale model is most generally a physical representation of an object, which maintains accurate relationships between all important aspects of the original object. (source Wikipedia)

Toy: A toy is an object, often a small representation of something familiar, for children or others to play with; plaything. (source Dictionary.com)

"I Hobby therefore I Am"

Habet penitum in constructo ergo sum.

I hold interest in building, therefore I am. (Roughly.)

Gimme a break, it's 3:35 AM and my last Latin class was in 1993!

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Cuando omni flunkus moritati. :P

The only other Latin I know is of the porcine variety.

(Although the statement above may come in handy as a tactic in a couple of threads on here lately.)

We really need some automotive words in Latin it would make it more interesting. The only exposure I have had to Latin is working with fish and plants. I used to deal with a lot of aquarium fish, and we always dealt with Latin names for positive identification. I got fairly decent at pronouncing them, and I even understood what a lot of the root words meant (Nigripinnis = black fins, nigriventris = black belly, miutifasciatus = lots of stripes etc...) I was at a major national club's annual convention and fish show several years back, and I was volunteered to help run the fish auction at the end of the weekend. There were almost a thousand bags of fish and plants, so if was a long day and we were going in shifts trying to keep things moving as fast as we could. I was learning my lack of Latin quickly, as I held up each bag of fish and read the lot number, quantity, size and sex and scientific name of each lot. I did pretty well, and faked my way through my first hour shift. I took another shift in the afternoon, and got a bit too confident I was handed a bag, and got terribly tongue twisted on Heterotilapia buttikoferi. I never made any pronunciation that would get me censored, but nobody could keep a straight face! I still get teased about that one several years later. Learning a bit of Latin, even if it's just a few tapes, or an internet course, is still a bucket list item for me.

Just an interesting question; Lots of cars have Italian or Spanish names (Including the topic of the thread, the Del Rio) Did any cars have Latin names? I don't know of any, but maybe a European model did. Just wondering.

Cuando omni flunkus moritati. :P

The only other Latin I know is of the porcine variety...

Ellway Ayedplay. B)

...Just an interesting question; Lots of cars have Italian or Spanish names (Including the topic of the thread, the Del Rio) Did any cars have Latin names? I don't know of any, but maybe a European model did. Just wondering.

Well, the Taurus is the first one comes to mind. MIght be others...

Il legitimi carborundum.

(Or thereabouts, as I recall).

I think without the "non" in the middle, it would mean that you WANT the bastages to grind you down.

that wiki thing has variants of this "mock-latin" phrase.

Edited by blunc

Very funny that sentiment should come up, though - between the pious apologists and the carping critics I referenced earlier, it's very clear just who first tried wearing down the other, to anyone with grasp of reality unwarped by personal ideology. I mean, anyone wants to know my motivation, you couldn't say it better than that phrase, macaronic or not.

But I gotta thank Monty W for the true gem: CASTIGAT RIDENDO MORES - laughing corrects morals, the basis for all great satire. The best way to change the rules is to point out how absurd they are, as Monty put it.

Yessir, I like that one very much. B)

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

I think without the "non" in the middle, it would mean that you WANT the bastages to grind you down.

that wiki thing has variants of this "mock-latin" phrase.

You are mucho right, Mike! I was working from ancient memory. It was a common phrase / battle cry when I was working the streets, but I haven't heard it much the past few years. Thanks for the mid-flight adjustment. I gotta get my mocklatin right! :P

I know you guys are all excited about this release but its not a kit many of us are really interested in. I'd love to see a modern pro stock or funny car. While I'm not a fan, a modern NASCAR kit or a modern Chevy or Ford pick up truck. Can the model companies produce a kit of a car newer than 1975?. Something other than another rehashed kit that has already been released 8,9,10 times. AMT 1968 Mustang. Revell 1969 Camaro as example.

As far as errors in kits, I can understand it in the old tooling but with all the computers and programs available as well as 3D printing that's available to manufacturers there shouldn't be any thing we hobbyist builders should have to fix before we can even start building the model. Not to mention that kits approaching $30.00, we should expect better.