Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Ford Del Rio Ranch Wagon 2'n'1

Matt T.

If the local hobby shop has it, I plan on buying this kit tomorrow.
Not going to build it, just going to carve some rear bumper guards.
Laminate some scrap plastic. Cut to shape. Sand smooth and round edges.
Alclad. Then attach to rear bumper.
Then put it back in the box for another day.
Bumper guards...
...the new "engine block halves" of model car building.

Too late to mention the incorrect steering wheel?

Perhaps the correct "upscale" hub and horn ring was also deleted?

Wouldn't Ford's "Nomad" also have deluxe wheelcovers?

Yes it's a *very* nice kit...but Revell did take some short cuts for their "stock" kit.

Of course there's always the AMT kit for some of these "missing" parts.

Not to add fuel to any arguments as I am just stating what has been mentioned before regarding how a new kit is developed:

The accuracy of the kit has a lot to do with the 1:1 subject matter chosen for measuring. If the owner of the vehicle has changed a few things from when the car rolled off the assembly line some 58 years ago, the researcher may not know that at the time pictures and measurements are taken. Furthermore, the researcher may not have access to factory manuals or sales brochures that would help identify the inaccuracies and one must keep in mind that sales brochures have sometimes had incorrect information in them.

This sounds like a great kit and based on the positive comments, I will be ordering one soon.

Glad to hear they fixed the speaker issue. I hope they continue to read ALL the posts, not just the negative. As an FYI, none of my posts were ever meant to be negative, just stating observations on a known subject.

maxresdefault.jpg

I have worked on this one. The owner (and editor of Canadian Hot Rods Magazine) is friends with the owner of one of the shops I worked for. It came in for some work to be done for an article in the magazine. The front clip is a one piece fiberglass lift off unit. Cool car.

Edited by Toner283

Too late to mention the incorrect steering wheel?

Perhaps the correct "upscale" hub and horn ring was also deleted?

Wouldn't Ford's "Nomad" also have deluxe wheelcovers?

Yes it's a *very* nice kit...but Revell did take some short cuts for their "stock" kit.

Of course there's always the AMT kit for some of these "missing" parts.

Just a guess on my part Mike. But, looking at the parts tree layout, it looks like those are direct leftovers from the sedan kit. I understand your point. But, I can also understand why Revell didn't cut new tooling for a steering wheel and wheel covers. I've been prepping parts on this kit and so far, pretty impressed with how light the mold lines are. Sometimes, I literally have to look for them. The mold lines on the body are almost non existent and very well located. Not 100% sure. But it looks like they did some work at the bottom of the header, below the head lights to get the grille nestled up a little closer. But, I haven't cut the grille loose yet and done a test fit.

Yes Roger it's a very nice kit. I'm not really disappointed with it, just a little surprised with how they did a couple of things on the Del Rio.

(Kinda like doing a Nomad with a 150 series steering wheel and hubcaps ect. for an example)

Had they made a base Ranch wagon most of my concerns wouldn't even apply.

I *thought* it would be OK to discuss some of those things without upsetting anyone.

I look forward to the Ranchero.... :)

Edited by mike 51

The wheel covers and steering wheel aren't an issue for me since I never build factory stock. But, I understand that it is an issue to you and probably many others. Just because it isn't an issue for some doesn't mean it isn't an issue for all. That's what obviously escapes people in these type of discussions. Try convincing some here that a kit with a textured finish is an issue. Your points and observations are not dismissed by everyone. Continue to make them. It helps those that do want to build a more accurate model and it's possible that it may help Revell make improvements in the model down the road. They listened to someone on this kit as I've seen improvements over the sedan kit.

Edited by plowboy

Not 100% sure. But it looks like they did some work at the bottom of the header, below the head lights to get the grille nestled up a little closer. But, I haven't cut the grille loose yet and done a test fit.

Keep us posted on the header panel. I am curious for sure. Can you get a clear pic of the rear quarter? I'd like to see if the body line is longer and if it still looks flat.

Thank you

Not 100% sure. But it looks like they did some work at the bottom of the header, below the head lights to get the grille nestled up a little closer. But, I haven't cut the grille loose yet and done a test fit.

Roger, I think you're right. I just compared sedan to wagon.

Keep us posted on the header panel. I am curious for sure. Can you get a clear pic of the rear quarter? I'd like to see if the body line is longer and if it still looks flat.

Thank you

I'll see what I can do Andy. Still be hard to tell for certain I think without the rear bumper in place. It looks close enough that I'm not going to worry about fixing it. I'm still prepping parts at the moment and getting ready to modify the front inner wheel wells so I can lower some more. One thing I've spotted on the body is that there are no panel lines around the lift gate. There's a good recess there that will make it very easy to add them. Still, they should be there. Another improvement Revell made was concerning the front fenders that extended down too far. They still extend down too far. But, they added a panel line where the splash pan would meet up to the bottom of the fender.

Well now that we've drifted here, let me explain exactly what I was talking about in post #811. 'Cause there's an instant response to the whole price point angle (and on that, by the way, several critics agree wholeheartedly with the central component that car modelers are generally, uh, a bit penurious) that I did genuinely table only because I first saw that little canard as the discussion was calming down some and trying to lurch back on topic.

And for reasons that should be self-evident, you can bet I'll get a great deal less satisfaction out of pointing this out now - doing so just doesn't feel any too sporting. But the matter does ask to be addressed:

"This is what you get for 25 dollars".

Fine, except it's not. Not by any absolute standard.

You can get a handful better for 25 - those sweet little Midgets, for example? You can get even more accuracy, anyway, in the most correct truck model of 2015 so far, Revell's '14 SVT Raptor, for less (though you give up detail). And to the credit of this '57 Ford tooling, there's quite a good deal worse you can get for 25 bucks. That's the whole cornerstone of what a lot of critics say - why the inconsistency? There's the start of a really good answer to that question in the price point angle, actually, and unsurprisingly, it's Tim Boyd who expressed it best.

But to try to contrive such an absolute out of the price angle, you can't acknowledge that inconsistency. An incremental header panel dimension is just the same as a scale-two-inch roof chop is just the same as a wholly unrepresentative chassis and suspension.

It ALL needs calipers. It's ALL rivet-counting. There's NO diffident and circumspect pointing out of minor flaws, it's ALL "beating stuff to death".

From all appearances and content, the reality that some manufacturing gaffes are so much more obvious than others must not enter this line of reasoning. And so the preoccupation with gas is actually quite appropriate - all it takes to blow this premise into burnt smithereens is a poorly governed break of wind.

But let's ACCEPT it for a minute. This kit is absolutely representative of what you get for 25 dollars. All other 25-dollar kits developed from new tooling are more or less equal in quality. And hey, let's grant the far more agreeable claim that this Del Rio IS pretty dang nice for 25 dollars!

Exactly how does that entitle anyone to judge what's acceptable in discussions about that model, and harangue anyone who doesn't meet his deeply arbitrary standards?

'Cause when you pare away all the rationalizations, that's where the trouble starts, over and over again. And you wanna talk "acting the victim" - WHAT IS half of what we see around here if not assuming some victimhood of behalf of the kit manufacturer du jour, and using that as an excuse for personal attacks?

Just glad the manufacturers don't act that way. That speaker grille would still be popping up otherwise.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis