Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Obscure or Discovered Music Album

afx

On 11/25/2022 at 10:10 AM, iamsuperdan said:

It's not really "discovered" per se, but this week Roger Waters released his new version of Comfortably Numb.

And it's amazing.

Yes, he's an ass. And yes, he removed what could be one of the greatest guitar solos that has ever existed, but dang this reworking is awesome.

He has a challenging and provocative view on the world for sure. 

Great video - thank you for posting!

Edited by afx

Scrolling through several pages, I'm impressed I've actually heard of several of the artists posted in this thread.

You folks might want to go back and check all of your posts in this thread because a fair amount of the YouTube links have gone bad.  Include all the pertinent details in your text so future readers might be able to attempt searching for these songs.  I have re-edited my own posts for this reason.

I've always been aware of Al Stewart's radio hits, but sadly I never dug into his catalog until recently.  I am impressed with his story telling.

This song is from one of his lesser-known albums.

Track:  "Russians & Americans" from Russians & Americans by Al Stwerart (1984).

We could do an entire thread of Cold War songs.  So many '80s songs were about the fear of nuclear war.

This artists is about as obscure as one can get.  Virtually nothing is known about him, other than there were three albums released in the early '80s or so.

There's only a smattering of his work posted on YT, no full albums.

This track is my favorite.  I like the dark undertones in the arrangement.

Track:  "Dearie" from the album Solitudes by Roger Olson (1981).

This discovery regarding the meaning behind Your is No Disgrace has come as quite a shock to me.

According to Edward Macan, "Yours Is No Disgrace" "is generally recognized as Yes' first antiwar song" (though "Harold Land" from their debut album deals with the subject of war). Anderson has stated that the theme of the song was recognition that the kids fighting the war had no choice but to fight and that the war wasn't their fault. Author Bill Martin describes "Yours Is No Disgrace" as "a remarkable and subtle song about the Vietnam War." The lyrics make their point by contrasting the suffering of the soldiers in Vietnam with people partying in Las Vegas. The author Dave Thompson praises the line "On a sailing ship to nowhere" as "[conjuring] a mental image that the music cannot help but echo."

The original words "armies gather near" (confirmed in every recorded live version) have been misprinted as "armies scatter the earth" numerous times, suggesting this may have been a mis-transcription in the first published version, as the album cover itself did not include lyrics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yours_Is_No_Disgrace