Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

More 1950s smokestack-America industrial background and support pieces...

First, a working HO scale Bascule bridge kit from Walthers.   Image result for walthers bascule

...and probably the crown jewel in my HO stuff, a discontinued, probably never to be reissued Walthers Hulett ore unloader kit.

Image result for walthers hulett

Standing like silent mechanical sentinels from another world in this photo, the real ones are all gone, cut up for scrap.    Image result for walthers hulett

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

More 1950s smokestack-America industrial background and support pieces...

First, a working HO scale Bascule bridge kit from Walthers.   Image result for walthers bascule

...and probably the crown jewel in my HO stuff, a discontinued, probably never to be reissued Walthers Hulett ore unloader kit.

Image result for walthers hulett

Standing like silent mechanical sentinels from another world in this photo, the real ones are all gone, cut up for scrap.    Image result for walthers hulett

In the 1950s my family would drive to Ashtabula harbor on lake Erie and from an overlook watch the Huletts in action.  Thank you for posting the photos and bringing back the memories.

Just received a holt 75 tractor by roden.  Opening the box to investigate have found it to be the cleanest and most flash free kit I've ever purchased.  No, this is not a paid endorsement as I was unfamiliar with roden and nervous.  Plans are to demilitarize it and hopefully build a diorama that includes a recently acquired stutz racer.

Peace

On 11/6/2018 at 7:32 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

You're killing me. I need one. I've got most of the rest of the 1/24 warbirds, but I didn't know this existed.

Yep, both car door and bubble top versions, and they're just absolutely splendid kits (as was the big DeHavilland Mosquito from them). For what it's worth, Airfix will supposedly be announcing a brand new 1:24 aircraft kit this weekend at the Telford, UK show.

8 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Yep, both car door and bubble top versions, and they're just absolutely splendid kits (as was the big DeHavilland Mosquito from them). For what it's worth, Airfix will supposedly be announcing a brand new 1:24 aircraft kit this weekend at the Telford, UK show.

Survey says....F6F-5! :blink:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/grumman-f6-f5-hellcat.html

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I want I want I want...

I had a feeling we'd be hearing from you about that. :lol:

I'd have preferred either an F8F-2 or an F4U-4. But the Hellcat is cool and I much prefer the -5 version over the more commonly kitted -3. 

I've never bought a 1/24 model airplane. Don't have the patience to do all that detailing, don't have the room to display one. 

13 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I'd have preferred either an F8F-2 or an F4U-4. But the Hellcat is cool and I much prefer the -5 version over the more commonly kitted -3. 

I've never bought a 1/24 model airplane. Don't have the patience to do all that detailing, don't have the room to display one. 

Oh man...an F4U-4 definitely. Spits and Mustangs are gorgeous airplanes, but my favorite Allied warbirds are Corsairs and Jugs for some reason.

I don't have any display space here, but the new place out West has room, finally, for everything.

There are significant upsides to being family-free.  B)

11 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Oh man...an F4U-4 definitely. Spits and Mustangs are gorgeous airplanes, but my favorite Allied warbirds are Corsairs and Jugs for some reason.

I don't have any display space here, but the new place out West has room, finally, for everything.

There are significant upsides to being family-free.  B)

Speaking of big Jugs, you're aware of this kit?

47 001.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

Stopped by a hobby shop we don’t usually visit yesterday;  Military Hobbies in Orange, CA. It’s a great hobby shop, it’s just very far away for us. 

Picked up a Finemolds X-wing kit. These are much better than the Bandai kits. My daughter found several 1/144 tanks for her Gundam dioramas. 

I especially appreciate how the owner treated my daughter like any other modeler and didn’t talk down to her. 

On 11/10/2018 at 10:54 AM, Snake45 said:

But the Hellcat is cool and I much prefer the -5 version over the more commonly kitted -3.

I'm just the opposite. Being a huge fan of the tri-color schemes, the -5 doesn't really do all that much for me, so I'll probably pass on accepting the review kit of it.

5 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Cool. They're actually pretty nice kits, at least in my opinion. I intend to start my Razorback on December the 31st.

Yeah, I took the parts out and had a look. I'd really like to start on it, but it's going to be a lot easier to move, like most everything else, non-started, still in the original box.

I hope you'll post some build pix up in "everything else".

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, I took the parts out and had a look. I'd really like to start on it, but it's going to be a lot easier to move, like most everything else, non-started, still in the original box.

I hope you'll post some build pix up in "everything else".

Yes, I certainly will. I've neglected updating items I already have there anyway, so this will be a good way to get "back in the saddle".

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I'm just the opposite. Being a huge fan of the tri-color schemes, the -5 doesn't really do all that much for me, so I'll probably pass on accepting the review kit of it.

You could always do it as one of the modern Warbird -5s flying with the tricolor scheme. I believe there are at least a couple. 

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You could always do it as one of the modern Warbird -5s flying with the tricolor scheme. I believe there are at least a couple. 

While that is a thought, I've already passed on the review kit. The word is that Airfix will not follow with a -3, but I have serious doubts that that's true. We'll see, I guess. Lots of other cool aircraft kits coming though (in 1:32 scale); Handley Page 0/400, F-18E and F, Hs 129, Ki-45, B-24, Lancasters, etc., to name but a few.

I saw the Hellcat built model and test shot at the weekend, and it’s fantastic. No need for any aftermarket anywhere. And if you run your fingers over it, you can feel the characteristic slight rippling in the skin panelling. It’s very subtle, but it’s clear that the LIDAR scanning of real aircraft has paid off big time. It was a surreal weekend, with not one but two 1/32 Lancasters facing off, the Hellcat, and a 1/32 HP 0-400 from Wingnut. Not to mention the 1/16 Revell Porsche 356 coupe, which looks fabulous, and will sell in the UK for about £45... which is about half of what you’d pay on eBay for a Fujimi EM version in 1/24...

best,

M.

10 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

I saw the Hellcat built model and test shot at the weekend, and it’s fantastic. No need for any aftermarket anywhere. And if you run your fingers over it, you can feel the characteristic slight rippling in the skin panelling. It’s very subtle, but it’s clear that the LIDAR scanning of real aircraft has paid off big time. It was a surreal weekend, with not one but two 1/32 Lancasters facing off, the Hellcat, and a 1/32 HP 0-400 from Wingnut. Not to mention the 1/16 Revell Porsche 356 coupe, which looks fabulous, and will sell in the UK for about £45... which is about half of what you’d pay on eBay for a Fujimi EM version in 1/24...

best,

M.

I envy anyone that can actually get to Telford for that show, as that seems to be where all the really big announcements are made. 

12 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

best,

M.

Even though i don't build model aircraft, even i was impressed with this one, and a few other aircraft in the same scale by other manufacturers, I took plenty of photos at the show.

5 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Even though i don't build model aircraft, even i was impressed with this one, and a few other aircraft in the same scale by other manufacturers, I took plenty of photos at the show.

It's a pretty amazing time to be a large scale aircraft modeler. (Anxiously waiting for the 1:32 Mirage 2000, due out in the next few months.)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I didn't get this today. Or even very recently. I just got around to opening it up yesterday. The kit is Kitech's clone of AMT's 1/48 Airwolf helicopter kit. It's basically the same kit, maybe from slightly modified tooling of the AMT. Over all it looks pretty good. The only trouble is I'm not interested in building the Airwolf helicopter. I want build the civilian version of Bell 222. 

The original kit came with a couple extra pieces, of what I believe are called sponsons. In the original instructions AMT referred to them "stock wings" (?). These parts (parts 9, 10, 12 & 13), and a small set of decals were included in the AMT kit so you could built the civilian version of the Bell 222. And they are missing from the Kitech kit. 

I'm wondering if there is anybody out there who has built the old AMT Airwolf kit in the past, and did not use the civilian "stock wings"/sponsons. May still have them and the decals laying around. And may be willing to sell or do something for trade for those parts, so I can build the civilian Bell 222 I want. 

By the way, it's not that didn't like Airwolf. I've purchase the first season (and IMO the best) on DVD. It's just that I always thought the plain Bell 222 looked better. 

IMG_3095.JPG

IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3097.JPG

Edited by unclescott58