Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 65 Chevelle AWB Question

VW93

Similar, but not exactly the same. The Chevelle had a supercharger instead of injectors, it had different wheels, and its front axle is wider than the Nova's. The Chevelle chassis was shared with the F-85 roadster and jokey '58 Edsel funny cars, the Nova chassis was used in the '63 Tempest also. The Falcon and Mustang each had their own chassis.

That said, the Nova/Tempest chassis can be used under a Chevelle, F-85, or Edsel. The wheelbase is the same, and the frame fits the mounting lugs on the bottom of the interior. If you have the wheels, front axle, and supercharger parts from the Chevelle, those will fit with the Nova chassis/engine parts.

Mark, once again you prove that you are an absolute GEM and SUPERSTAR of old kit knowledge.

I knew that there were some differences between the AMT AWB frames--mainly in the suicide vs. dual leaf front end setups--but didn't realize there were so many. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with us!

I just looked some of this stuff over a couple of weeks ago. I'd never bothered to check the wheelbase on the Nova versus the Chevelle, because I knew they were different. The Chevelle just had to be longer...then I checked the parts...wheelbases are the same, length of the overhang at the rear is the same. I've got the F-85 roadster (bought a complete one in a waterlogged box at Toledo many years ago), and have pieced together a Chevelle from a couple of started/incomplete ones. That leaves the Edsel...found an unused body (there are a couple of changes from the annual, you have to see one to know what they are) and a couple of other parts at Hershey a couple of years ago, bought resin copies of the parts unique to that kit (outhouse door spoiler, busted ladder, mud flaps) on eBay as well as finding a partial decal sheet at another show. I wanted to get the right chassis for it too, seeing as how I'm so close otherwise. I've got a few of the Novas and Tempests, just never bothered to check the chassis even though they looked similar. I did find another wide front axle, and I think I've got enough of the right wheels (if not, I'll cast some). I never thought I'd round up a complete set of those AMT altered wheelbase cars prior to the Model King reissues popping up...between those and the parts I turned up, I'm pretty much there now...

The Edsel and F-85 use the Chevelle chassis, wheels included. In those kits the Chevelle bumpers are blocked off of the plated tree, and the F-85 bumpers are on a cut down tree from the Cutlass annual kit. The Chevelle/F-85/Edsel rear wheels are five-slot deep Halibrands with two bolt patterns, one of which is blocked off. The altered wheelbase '67 Cyclone and mid-engine '66 Barracuda have rear wheels that are similar, though both of those kits' wheels have slightly larger slots.

The Edsel and F-85 use the Chevelle chassis, wheels included. In those kits the Chevelle bumpers are blocked off of the plated tree, and the F-85 bumpers are on a cut down tree from the Cutlass annual kit. The Chevelle/F-85/Edsel rear wheels are five-slot deep Halibrands with two bolt patterns, one of which is blocked off. The altered wheelbase '67 Cyclone and mid-engine '66 Barracuda have rear wheels that are similar, though both of those kits' wheels have slightly larger slots.

Thanks Mark. About a month ago I bought a batch of wheels that had a few more of the AWB Chevelle's front wheels....need to dig through them to see if I have any of the rears. From your description, I'm getting close to piecing together an Edsel.

• 8 years later...
On 12/16/2014 at 10:33 PM, Don Sikora II said:

Thanks Mark. About a month ago I bought a batch of wheels that had a few more of the AWB Chevelle's front wheels

Is this a match for those wheels? I don't think any other kits (or kit series) used these?:

amtfcwheel1.jpg.00982cf5d112885a9ca9296b57f44ded.jpg

amtfcwheel2.jpg.a8ef56fa69166eb85c6e312e540e11ca.jpg

awb65.png.941ccb6b3d1db93ae12e5096e67a2a17.png

• Like 1

The builtup of the new kit has black tires, I will assume they are vinyl.  If they were plastic, they'd probably have left them white just to let everyone know.

Some of the old plastic slicks are unique (not available in vinyl).  The news with this kit will be the front tires done in vinyl.

• 1 month later...

Well, this one first appeared way before the '71 Demon. Round 2 is hoping to get the Demon out this fall according to what they were saying at NNL East last weekend.  So, I'd expect to see the Chevelle prior to then.

Zooming in on the Round2 supplied pic above, it appears the tires are the stryene version, painted black. The outer edge of each tread block on these tires is out-of-scale and distinct, so I would bet on getting the styrene front tires, molded inner and outer halves, just like on the '65 Mustang AWB.

IIRC, the topless Olds Cutlass F-85 AWB was reissued not too long ago, right? If so, which front tires were included in that release?

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Zooming in on the Round2 supplied pic above, it appears the tires are the stryene version, painted black. The outer edge of each tread block on these tires is out-of-scale and distinct, so I would bet on getting the styrene front tires, molded inner and outer halves, just like on the '65 Mustang AWB.

IIRC, the topless Olds Cutlass F-85 AWB was reissued not too long ago, right? If so, which front tires were included in that release?

The F-85 AWB has not been re-released.  Only the stock body 64 Olds hardtop and convertible kits have come out.  I gather that after the Chevelle Time Machine comes out I wouldn't be surprised if Round 2 pushes out the 64 F-85 AWB car soon afterwards.  

10 hours ago, GMP440 said:

The F-85 AWB has not been re-released.  Only the stock body 64 Olds hardtop and convertible kits have come out.  I gather that after the Chevelle Time Machine comes out I wouldn't be surprised if Round 2 pushes out the 64 F-85 AWB car soon afterwards.  

Might as well revive the entire series. Edsel would be cool as well. Money well spent........... :)  

17 hours ago, Casey said:

Hi Casey, 

I never paint anything on the test shots, those are actually vinyl tires and I believe they were retooled for this kit.  The recent '64 F85 Convertible and 442 Hardtop kits both have the newer Firestone Supreme tires, no drag tires.  There's been no announcement of any follow up AWB kits yet ....

-Steve

• Like 1

If anyone has a mind to complain about many of the mid-Sixties annual kits having only four tires...that's the way they came originally!  (Except when a trailer was included.)

No annual kit though 1963 had anything other than stock tires.  In 1964 kits, I can only think of the Chevelle wagon having had a pair of slicks included.  It wasn't until 1965 that a few more annual kits had extra tires.  

For '66, AMT threw those plastic "sidewall caps" into some annuals, plastic slicks in others.  I'd actually like to try those sidewall pieces on something.