Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

I don't say that the Ferrari or Lambo engine swaps are unrealistic, in fact, a long time ago I saw an article in Jp magazine of a Jeep Wagoneer whit a Ferrari engine on it, for long an fast travels, whit a really stock look!

Here is the link.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehicles/154-0909-1977-jeep-wagoneer-the-jerrari/

thanks for posting that link, thats almost the build I'm going for! Now that jeep is a great sleeper. On another note if your using modern tires you can make mud flaps to hide the width of tires, my plan anyway. Edited by bill_67

Hi I would like to join in on the fun of this group build. This is my entry,

FCD43FD2-391B-4C15-AFB2-A746835F618F_zps

It will be powered by the SVT lightning engine(with a few other upgrades) and made to look like a landscapers truck with some recently fixed damaged to the front end.

Hi I would like to join in on the fun of this group build. This is my entry,

FCD43FD2-391B-4C15-AFB2-A746835F618F_zps

It will be powered by the SVT lightning engine(with a few other upgrades) and made to look like a landscapers truck with some recently fixed damaged to the front end.

Sounds good to me! I'll keep an eye on your build!

Jose is right. One of the things to think about is "would this car actually drive coast to coast?" Some of the ideas in this thread would be more for a drag race than a transAtlantic run. And things like a jet engine, Ferrari or Lambo drive train would be impossibly expensive to achieve unless you got Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg to sponsor you! :rolleyes:

I will jump into this build eventually. I just have a lot of other stuff going right now. Plus I work better under pressure at the last minute!

I'm sorry Tom, but have you watched the auctions lately and seen some of the insane numbers paid for cars. I don't think its out of the question. Btw, we are just having fun anyway.

You don't "need" a cage.

There is no scrutineering and no rules.

You can of course build one in if you plan to roll the car but you'll have to make sure it's not too visible.

As for big wheels - try painting the rims black. With hub caps they should then look fairly stock.

While sports wheels on a beater don't mean it's fast they would attract the attention of the cops who will be thinking "teenage driver, lets have him".

With no disrespect intended... Since this would be a pretty mean street car in the 1:1 world, and safety is no thing to joke around with, I figure this is no different. I'm intending to add just a simple 8 point cage, which (at least here in the U.S) most street cars with any power have. I wouldn't be putting a hoop in the car if I wasn't going to tint the windows, and since I will be hiding the bar as well as I will, I think it should all come together and look hopefully sub-par. It'll be sporting steelies which will eventually end up body color, or at least one of the colors this car will probably have on it. I might take your idea and paint one of the wheels black, to simulate a spare or something of the sort.

Awesome work Jeff, brilliant idea for getting a V12!

That's cool to hear Riley, just remember to get it posted in the finished builds thread when it's created towards at towards the end in Nov. - Dec. There where a few who completed their builds early on last year and didn't get them posted and missed out on voting.

Now I'm not 100% sure if the same process will be used this year so I'll just say to everyone that's entered and enters please keep checking in every so often to stay up to date on the build. I know there's going to be a bunch of killer and creative entries created this year and I for one want to see them all at the line in Dec. :)

Keep it up you guys!

OK, here is my Cougar. The cage is scratchbuilt from 1/16 Evergreen tubing. Wheels and tires are from Monogram's 55 F-100 Street Rod. The decals on the rear window are from a NASCAR kit and Roscoe's Monaco. The body paint is Dupli-Color gloss Black and because it blushed on top, it gave the car the typical peeling 90s beater look. The front bumper is primer and the hood is Dupli-color Graphite Grey Metallic. The Maroon interior really gives the car a 90s look as i don't think I've seen a vehicle newer than like 99 with a burgundy interior. I went for a built in a LKQ yard type look and think I hit it pretty well. The kit is virtually box stock, I had to modify the front wheel backs a little bit. The worst part of the build was when one of the front wheel backs decided to go MIA for about an hour and screw with me. I still need to make some license plates for the front and rear.All comments welcome. I have an idea for my next Cannonball build. To be revealed at a later date.IMG_1658_zps89c52a95.jpgIMG_1653_zpsf63c2d64.jpgIMG_1648_zps1f6bd5ec.jpgIMG_1652_zps99accc0f.jpgIMG_1646_zps11344d18.jpgIMG_1650_zpsbc99644f.jpg

I like it Riley! That looks like every third Cougar you see on the road today! Especially the decals on the back window.

I had the same blush issue with Duplicolor black on my current Scout II project. It was over Duplicolor gray primer so I don't know what the issue was. I had a second body so I did Duplicolor primer, followed by painting the entire body Duplicolor white. The black came out good over that so I can only think that the black reacted with the primer for some reason.

OK, here is my Cougar. The cage is scratchbuilt from 1/16 Evergreen tubing. Wheels and tires are from Monogram's 55 F-100 Street Rod. The decals on the rear window are from a NASCAR kit and Roscoe's Monaco. The body paint is Dupli-Color gloss Black and because it blushed on top, it gave the car the typical peeling 90s beater look. The front bumper is primer and the hood is Dupli-color Graphite Grey Metallic. The Maroon interior really gives the car a 90s look as i don't think I've seen a vehicle newer than like 99 with a burgundy interior. I went for a built in a LKQ yard type look and think I hit it pretty well. The kit is virtually box stock, I had to modify the front wheel backs a little bit. The worst part of the build was when one of the front wheel backs decided to go MIA for about an hour and screw with me. I still need to make some license plates for the front and rear.All comments welcome. I have an idea for my next Cannonball build. To be revealed at a later date.IMG_1658_zps89c52a95.jpgIMG_1653_zpsf63c2d64.jpgIMG_1648_zps1f6bd5ec.jpgIMG_1652_zps99accc0f.jpgIMG_1646_zps11344d18.jpgIMG_1650_zpsbc99644f.jpg

Cool

,...you better keep that thing in the garage,... oiled,.. lubed ,.. and gassed for the start in December!,....