Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's Everyone Profession,etc..job,

stanleymsn

I am a maintenance mechanic for the local housing authority. What that means is I'm a maintenance guy working in the projects. I do a little bit of everything...plumbing (all you need to know there is ###### runs downhill and don't chew your fingernails),

That's too funny!! ;)

Where I work, (in the semiconductor industry), we use toxic and corrosive chemicals and gasses in the demo labs for processing wafers. In the restroom, you can always tell who the equipment maintenance and lab technicians are…they’re the ones who wash their hands BEFORE they take care of business!

Edited by Raul_Perez

I've been an automotive pinstriper for the last 29 years, since after I moved to Portland Oregon in 1978.

I do most of my work for car dealers, often covering small 'imperfections' such as key scratches, more often just to add an accent to today's bland cars. During then 'hot' period for graphics I made a lot of money doing cars that are all over the junkyards now, very entertaining to find..

Also have a side gig, write for car magazines, now mostly Muscle Car Review where I do a monthly model column and features, mostly focusing on the people side of the car hobby. This has enabled me to meet a lot of great people and see some killer cars up close...

Have a small side biz too, sell Living Air/EcoQuest electronic air purifiers, great tool for household health and cleanliness.

I get to break-in to Cars , Houses, businesses & Safes etc and never get in trouble with the law............................Because I'm a Locksmith, which has it's good times and it's bad times. We get to see a lot of weird and wonderful things and no 2 days are alike. And no i did'nt have a mis-spent youth!!! Lol

My Job title is a "Floater" I can do almost any Job at the Factory i work at.. everything from CnC Machining to Warehousing.

I work for Gray USA, an American Jack Manufacturer ( BTW the only one in the left In the USA).http://grayusa.com/

we provide Jacks for the US Military and for other companies. we also have a contract with First Student ( which used to be Laidlaw who also Owns GreyHound ).

Ok Back to the bench.. to work On DiggerCuda ..

Edited by cruzn

I work for an electronics company where our primary job is cables and electronic connectors. The interesting thing about where I work is that our building is an R&D building where the eventual long run production ends up in China.

I mainly run solder production and I'm the guy that gets to train folks in micro soldering, and I have the fun job of giving folks the boot if they're not up to snuff. ;)

Just had to do that recently.............a young lady I was training just couldn't hack it after two whole weeks of training. The company didn't fire her (she works for a temp agency), but needless to say she won't be touching any solder irons in my section anytime soon! :o

I also from time to time teach a class in soldering requirements according to industry standards (IPC-620)..........that can be a real cliffhanger as I either pass or fail people in the course.

I've gotten more than an earful from employees that failed and have to retest.................especially from folks on another shift------I work third shift BTW, which is nice because there's nowhere near the drama as daylight shift can have! :angry:

I am a truck driver. I go from Lansing,Mi to Wauseon,OH, back to Lansing. Then I hook another trailer and go to Kalamazoo,Mi then back to the Cadillac plant in Lansing. I leave about 1:30 am and get back around 2 pm 5days a week.

Sweeper :angry:

I work for Verizon as a field technician. I started my career in 1996 working in Brooklyn, NY. I was originally a cable splicer, but last year I transferred to Nassau County, and am now a Special Services Tech. I install and repair T1s, Lottery circuits, Radio Circuits, and regular telephone lines for big businesses. Because I was a splicer, I have become one of the unofficial "bucket b*tches" (which means I have to run most the drop wires that require a bucket truck). When I worked in Brooklyn, I was also a shop steward, chief steward and business agent for CWA Local 1109.

I really like working out in the 'burbs. The job out here is so much more pleasant than working in Brooklyn.

I drive cross country for two companies an Allied van lines agent [Hassett moving and storage] and [Hassett Air] our freight division..mostly haul out west but ran 44 states in 2007 hauling furniture, machines, tradeshows and computer servers...in the summer of '07 I moved ''Doctors without borders'' exhibit for 5 weeks starting in Chicago to Milwaukee , Minneapolis , Houston and Dallas.

Loring Park in Minneapolis was the tightest place I ever had to put a truck

IMGP0214-vi.jpg

IMGP0215-vi.jpg

Our new furniture trailers have a air lift system that raises the back of the trailer to dock level so I can really haul just about anything. I drive a 2006 Peterbilt normally but grab one of the other trucks for shorter or tighter hauls....Last year I drove 145,000 miles..thats down from 2006 which was 161,000....I'm getting it down even more in 2008 ,the company asked me to try running the dock.. I'm learning freight consolidation and paper work , but at age 53 and started driving a truck at 22 its not easy to change all at once..so I do the dock thing a few times a month and drive the rest...

IMGP0042-vi.jpg

Howdy,I'm a cutter/form grinder ,been employed at Channellock,inc for the last 27 years. I've been a professional bodyman/custom painter for most of that time,also. Been building models since I was 10,My biggest 'claim to fame' is building resin masters for F&F, R&R,Mikes Miniature Motors, and Race Motor Replicas,I 've done over 50 differant car/truck masters and I 'velost count of the interiors,frames,hoods and assorted other things I've done.....I got into this mainly because I was tired of doing extensive modifications to a model,only to have it 'ghost' through a few years later. I don't consider myself that good,just a case of being in the 'right place at the right time' !! I'm also a union steward at Channellock with 20 years experience under my belt,by this time next week I'll know whether we have a contract or are on strike(no fun.) I love to build Pro street/Pro touring,customs and muscle cars/trucks,and have just recently gotten interested in STREET RODS !! My daily driver is a 2005 Scion XB,with a 73 Challenger and a 79 Malibu wagon in the garage....I've had the wagon for 21 years and the Challenger for 12. Steven Zimmerman aka the'Z'man.....

Well i work for the largest Battery Manufaturing Plant in the world. Been Building Car batteries for the last 27 years. We build 11 million batteries a years. Most of the batteries you see in cars were probably built by our plant in Salina Kansas. As Exide Technologies plant here supplies our plants distribution centers all across the Western half of the USA. Our Bristol plant jus won the contract to Build bateries for BMW.

Hi Guys

Well I may just be about to become the envy of you all, I am a MR Mum (MOM to you guys in the states), I have a to do list on the refrigerator, my wife works for Caterpillar here in Melbourne Australia and I stay home to take care of the house the kids 12 and 8 and my lovely wife, I even manage to squeeze in the odd model here and there, I have just recently left my job, my wife got a promotion and has to travel more, so I am currently looking for something during school hours, I am currently doing a short course in automotive trimming (upholstery)

Mal

Well, my turn I guess. I am a heavy duty equipment operator. I run dozers, back hoes, tripple 7 cat dump trucks(similar to the international paystar model), graders, rollers, and whatever else I need to. We are currently building the runway at Greensboro, N. C. for the new Fed Ex Hub. Two years ago we hauled dirt for a year for the building pad for the hub. It has been so wet here since Christmas we haven't worked since the Thursday before Christmas. What does rain and red dirt make? MUD! That's about it for me. I love my work and the pay is good and I have been modeling all my life. I have a couple more years until my retirement at 62. Thanks guys, it seems as though I know all of you better with these posts. Hope to meet more of you at shows. Ratrodder Doug Harrell

Well, I was a Certified Master Automotive technician for 23 years at two dealerships (a Chevrolet/Jeep/Eagle dealer and a 'superstore' GM dealer with everything except Cadillac) until an on-the-job injury forced me to retire on disability. Didn't care for retirement, so after some rehab for a year or so I returned to college for a teaching degree, and I've been teaching elementary school (5th grade) for the last eight years. Just finishing up my Master's in Educational Information Technology.

Al

I work for an electronics company where our primary job is cables and electronic connectors. The interesting thing about where I work is that our building is an R&D building where the eventual long run production ends up in China.

I mainly run solder production and I'm the guy that gets to train folks in micro soldering, and I have the fun job of giving folks the boot if they're not up to snuff. :lol:

Just had to do that recently.............a young lady I was training just couldn't hack it after two whole weeks of training. The company didn't fire her (she works for a temp agency), but needless to say she won't be touching any solder irons in my section anytime soon! :P

I also from time to time teach a class in soldering requirements according to industry standards (IPC-620)..........that can be a real cliffhanger as I either pass or fail people in the course.

I've gotten more than an earful from employees that failed and have to retest.................especially from folks on another shift------I work third shift BTW, which is nice because there's nowhere near the drama as daylight shift can have! :(

Pretty much the same as I do. Are you a job shop for other companies? You could always send us the production work, keeping it in the US.

My story is much more complicated. I went into the Army after graduating from college in 1966. I learned to fly helicopters, then went to Vietnam, where I was an aeroscout platoon leader. I left active duty in 1973, then went into construction management. I also spent the next 14 years in The California National Guard and active reserves. I retired from construction as a contractor in 1991, then did what I had been dreaming of for years by opening a performance garage. I retired for good after a heart attack and 4 way bypass in 1998.

I just sold two of my 1:1 projects (I am down to a 70 cutlass 455 and a 68 Datsun 2000 roadster). I build models full time now with the full support of my wife Nancy.

Nice, you have a 2000 Roadster! <_<

I work on cars/trucks and occasional help out with things, sometimes my friends with their dirtbikes and quads, mostly with my uncle and his garage full (65 Ranchero, Cobra Coupe, 69 Fastback 390, 89 Bronco, his tractors, even his wife's Subaru Outback :unsure:

Edited by Nick F40

Must be Nice to Live In Yosemite valley..

Might visit there this year not sure yet..stay at the Ahwanne hotel too.

Yeah, It's a nice place, kind of like living in a petting zoo and we're the animals. :unsure:

Send me a PM if you come out. The Ahwahnee is nice but you might check Yosemite Lodge too, it is a lot cheaper and the rooms are actually a little nicer.