Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's Everyone Profession,etc..job,

stanleymsn

I am pretty sure I responded to a thread like this, but here goes anyway...

Commercial print for almost 30 years. Started with an ad agency out of college as an intern. No pay, but they promoted the Miss English leather contest at the Sacramento Autorama. I had to prep the contestants before they walked on stage. Then, the Sac Bee, then a print shop, a display advertising shop, finally the same commercial print company for 24 years now. The company name changed at least 4 times. Started as a stripper, then moved to customer service.  Been there for the last 20 years. We run accounts while they are in the printing process. One account took me all over the US. So that was fun.

In less than a year I should be in my second career as a teacher for mild to moderate special needs elementary school kids. 

Building this for the last year and a half...'47 Caddy convert, LS-1, 4L80-E, custom Ford 9" rear with 11" brakes, GM G-body front frame clip, lowered about 3" all around, dual-piston front calipers on 12" vented rotors, leather seats and console from a '14 Caddy, massive VintageAir system, nav-HD-radio-pod dock-CD-etc, power everything, HID and LED lighting. Dash, console and door-caps will be woodgrained. Color...candy apple red over a gold base.

AUG%2012%202015%20088_zpsvusfbeuh.jpg

Sounds like a daily driver to me. ))

I do Facility Management for pharmaceutical companies.  I have been involved in all phases of facilities, from  property acquisition, developing concepts and project scope,  to construction management, managing day to day operations in large facilities all the way through decommissioning and demolition.  Full life cycle!   Today I have my own consulting business running a reliability engineering global initiative for a major company.  I work from home a lot and spend my days in Skype meetings with folks around the world!

Sounds like a daily driver to me. ))

That's the plan...comfort, performance, convenience and reliability of a late-model vehicle, but with the old-cruiser style (did I mention keyless entry and pushbutton start ?). The owner has multiple high-end production cars, but is kinda bored with them (though his wife isn't ;)).

Still, with the $250k price on this thing when completed, it's doubtful it will be a daily daily-driver. B)

I just went through all 10 pages to make sure I hadn't posted yet, we've got some interesting skills on this forum for sure! I spent 8 years in the USAF ('83-'91) in Engine Management, and worked with the mighty A-10 the entire time, including that field trip they took me on to Saudi Arabia...very interesting part of the world, never want to see it again! As soon as I got out, I became a DJ at WKZQ in Myrtie Beach, SC, where for 4 years I was a DJ, Assistant Engineer, Assistant Music Director, and did petty much anything else I was asked to do. The Assistant Engineer position led to me learning my current trade. The Engineer had an Alarm Company on the side (More like his main job!), so in June of '91 I started working with him, and found my calling in life. I left Myrtle Beach in '97 for a bigger company (Benefits ya know!), and became an Alarm Service Tech, which is what I've done ever since. The pay is good, the job is easy, and you get to meet some really interesting people. I'm probably going to have to go into sales or management sometime in the next few years, the body just can't stand crawling under houses or getting into attics any longer, and we don't have enough Commercial accounts for me to do nothing but them, they're much easier on the body!

I'm a software engineer aka programmer aka 'tech guy in a cubicle'.  Currently doing a contract gig at an insurance company in Scottsdale Az.  Been in the biz for 18 years, worked in software development in insurance, banking, utilities, aviation, medical systems and other industries for clients in Colorado and Arizona mostly, but also some remote work for clients in California, Loiusiana and the Carribean. 

Edited by Rob Hall

I'm a degree'd accountant but I've spent the last 28 years as a commercial property manager (19 years) before selling out to be a facility manager (for just one tenant  but several locations) for the last 9 years.

Why the career change?  I was an auditor and later an accountant but in dead end positions when I started dating a young lady whose father was in the commercial real estate industry (thank you Sheri!) who said I had the personality to be a property manager.  I have to be careful how I share this story as that young lady is not my wife....8^)

Went to school to be a teacher, switched to engineering. Mechanical engineering, (textile and then paper machinery), world travelling installing said machinery, switched to heavy construction when it got old to be away from home. Did that until a work injury killed my back. Complete change of direction to owner of a full service garage, body and collision shop, (cars, big rigs, and heavy equipment), towing service and restoration shop, with my oldest son running the place. Finally gave in to my injury and then suddenly found myself owner of a gun shop when my Dad died. Now I own a gun and gunsmithing shop, with my sons who will be the fourth generation owners, with my youngest son running it. Someday, I'll figure out what I want to do when I grow up!  Life takes LOTS of twists and turns! It's sometimes hard to keep up!

Edited by redneckrigger

Close, Licensed Funeral Director, Embalmer and Cremationist.

David G.

Dang...and I thought I was going to be the only one! :wacko:  Been working as a Funeral Director, Embalmer, Preneed Councilor, and Cremation Technician for the same firm for 12 years.  Also work part time with our burial vault dealer by setting burial vaults on my off days.  My wife is a nurse, and I tease her by telling everyone I hide her mistakes!

Dang...and I thought I was going to be the only one! :wacko:  Been working as a Funeral Director, Embalmer, Preneed Councilor, and Cremation Technician for the same firm for 12 years.  Also work part time with our burial vault dealer by setting burial vaults on my off days.  My wife is a nurse, and I tease her by telling everyone I hide her mistakes!

I'm actually surprised there isn't more of us here. With all of the meticulous attention to detail that our careers require of us, model building seems like a natural extension of such traits.

David G.

OK, here's something I've wondered about for a while. Seriously. And no disrespect meant at all... I've just wondered about this and would be interested in hearing from you guys who have taken this career path...

How does one decide to be a funeral director/mortician?

I can see it being a family business and handed down generation to generation... but what I can't wrap my mind around is the concept of a young guy (or girl, I suppose) thinking to themselves, "when I grow up i want to deal with dead bodies!"

Enlighten me.

No, they were my victims.

I spoke for them.

G

Speaking as the friend of the victim of a homicide, I am very thankful for guys like Wayne who help bring some sense of closure to the survivors. 

Much as I love shows like Dragnet, Law & Order, Homicide, and so forth, I really don't think I could do it; I'm afraid my anger and sense of revenge, which I will admit I sometimes confuse with a desire for justice, would get the better of me all too often. 

Charlie Larkin