Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's Everyone Profession,etc..job,

stanleymsn

hey fury at least you don't need a big garage to put your models cars and it dont's need mantience.:unsure:

That's true, but I still have two 1.1 scale "toys" in the garage.... one in a "capsule", the other under a cover. They still require periodic maintenance and driving, insurance, and so on. Difference is, now I must hire someone to do the maintenance. I'm just thankful they were both "finished" many years ago. I could never afford to do it today. Thank heavens for model cars, this forum, the magazine, and great friends in this hobby! B)

I've been a professional sign painter for over 30 years...........My love for cars and models started when I was 10 (now 50) I taught myself the trade and the business end as well............I carved a nice little market in the race car lettering business since high school. I'm the happiest when there are race cars in the shop but I can build and install any kind of sign. I'm an expert at Gold Leaf and hand lettering although my shop keeps updating with computerized equipment to stay competetive in the commercial market............I'm at the shop every day(except when at the drags) Please feel free to visit my website which includes a model car page www.dansignman.com .........I totally enjoy both my choosen career and the model car hobby...wish I had more time for it but it doesn't stop me from buying 'em.....Have fun building , I admire all the great builds here. Dan the SignMan

Dude you fricknig awsome you got talent and skills. good work!!

That's true, but I still have two 1.1 scale "toys" in the garage.... one in a "capsule", the other under a cover. They still require periodic maintenance and driving, insurance, and so on. Difference is, now I must hire someone to do the maintenance. I'm just thankful they were both "finished" many years ago. I could never afford to do it today. Thank heavens for model cars, this forum, the magazine, and great friends in this hobby! :unsure:

we are all your friends what would be really cool it to all meet oneday and show off our models it would make it very intresting to meet everyone in person. Just a tought !!!

I'm a graphic artist/designer/illustrator. I design and create brochures, magazine ads, web sites, posters...basically all types of print and online communications. I'm also a writer (have written the copy for many of the ads and printed pieces I've designed).

I also do logo design, corporate ID packages, illustrations for product packaging, labels, ads, etc., etc. I've even designed the logo and uniforms for a local Minor League baseball team!

I've been at it all my life, except for a few unrelated summer jobs when I was a kid.

Basically I never gave up my box of crayons when I grew up!

I did 20 years as a NYC Police Officer. The last 10 years of my carrer was at a preceint in "Da Bronx" which had the highest homocide rate in NYC for approx. 6 years in a row . My carrer, to say the least was eventful. I was shot on two seperate occasions, stabbed once and on 9-11 when the second tower came down, as I was..... along with many other guys, pulling people out of there, I was struck with so much debris, I received a few stitches....4 screws in one knee and six in the other. The funny thing about that was ...yes I knew I was cut and needed stitches....didn't know till 4 days later (still working around the clock at the towers) that my knees sustained such injuries. Well to wrap this up I never took a dime of disability, even though I could of (because so many people gave up so much more) did my 20....and out I went. Currently all I do is move tractor trailers in the yard at UPS for about 4 hours a night. In closing, just as my time in the Police Dept. I met some bad people and a lot of good people...and the good people by far..... out weighed the bad! The same holds true for the people I have met in this hobby of ours. But I will say that Gregg is one of those "GOOD PEOPLE" ;)

I work in quality for a tool and die shop. We primarily CNC parts for aerospace (Boeing, Northrup, McD) and some medical devices. I usually spend most of my time inspecting production on our CMMs but lately have been tied up writing inspection programs for the new parts we have coming in.

I'm a graphic artist/designer/illustrator. I design and create brochures, magazine ads, web sites, posters...basically all types of print and online communications. I'm also a writer (have written the copy for many of the ads and printed pieces I've designed).

I also do logo design, corporate ID packages, illustrations for product packaging, labels, ads, etc., etc. I've even designed the logo and uniforms for a local Minor League baseball team!

I've been at it all my life, except for a few unrelated summer jobs when I was a kid.

Basically I never gave up my box of crayons when I grew up!

Harry,

Nice work on the '49 Mercs in the December issue of MCM!! I really wish that I had the knowledge, skills and abilities to draw like that!! I would take a class in it, but between work, family, model cars/WWII dioramas/Sci-Fi dioramas, guitars...I just don't have time for another hobby...

Keep up the great work!!

Harry,

Nice work on the '49 Mercs in the December issue of MCM!! I really wish that I had the knowledge, skills and abilities to draw like that!! I would take a class in it, but between work, family, model cars/WWII dioramas/Sci-Fi dioramas, guitars...I just don't have time for another hobby...

Keep up the great work!!

Thanks! Keep an eye out...there's more to come... ;)

BTW...don't worry about drawing. You have enough hobbies to keep you busy already!

For 24 years now, I have worked for Home Hardware here in Nova Scotia. My official job description is "Boom Truck Operator, although I could be driving anything from a 1/2 ton truck to a tandem axle with a 60 foot crane capable of loading building materials in a 6 storey building. I also do general carpentry around the store( displays, storage racks), custom cut kitchen countertops, etc. A jack of all trades, I guess you could say. Prior to this job, I worked for our Provincial Transportation Dept. as a truck driver/ snow plow operator. As well as the full-time job at Home Hardware, I have my own carpentry business doing renovations, decks, fences, etc. This is a great topic. While it doesn't put faces to names, it seems we get to know each other a little better.

For 36 years I have worked in the same Chevrolet dealership as a new car technician . It has changed names 4 times and I have seen alot of changes in the cars over the years. I hope I can hang on for another 6 years or so and actually try to retire. Luckily not many kids coming up want to work on cars anymore so I haven't been shoved out the door yet. My favorite all time car that I have worked on was a Z28 Camaro owned by the astronaut Gus Grissom's son. That car was very sweet to say the least and every mechanic in the shop took it out for many test drives so to speak. I can't remember what year model it was but I think it was a 1970 or 1971. Of course the Chevelle SS 454's were a whole lot of fun to work on too. :rolleyes:

I might as well 'splain what I do since it is what keeps me from actually building anything anymore.

Officially, I am the Senior Product Manager for Lockers at the largest locker and shelving manufacturer in the US, and possibly the world, depending on which of our executives you ask on any given day...

I set prices on custom lockers and accessories, so part of the day I'm an estimator.

I watchdog QC issues for the products I'm responsible for, so part of the day I'm an inspector.

I attend trade shows throughout the US, and proudly call myself a booth rat.

I help design new products and recommend revisions to improve product, so like everyone, I'm a critic.

I manage the occasional large installation, especially for our electronic locker system.

I am project manager for new locker products, of which there are three we're developing and preparing to launch shortly.

As a result of last item, I spend a lot of time interacting with engineering, manufacturing, vendors, field sales, and customers.

And as a result of some recent changes at work, I now report directly to the president of our company, which means I can't hide behind a VP and avoid getting "invited" to various mnagement meetings, like the one I'm heading to in Utah tomorrow...through Thursday. This will be the 3rd time in three months I've been to Salt Lake.

I've been there almost 20 years, so either I'm not bright enough to leave, or they think I'm too good to let go. Or both. Whatever.

Other than that I'm busy trying to be a decent dad, and I think most of us know the list that requires is too long to print here!

I am a maintenance mechanic for the local housing authority. What that means is I'm a maintenance guy working in the projects. I do a little bit of everything...plumbing (all you need to know there is ###### runs downhill and don't chew your fingernails), electrical, carpentry, HVAC...a regular Jack-of-all-trades, and master of none.

I really do not enjoy my job but it pays o.k. and I get a ton of vacation. In 18 years I've seen it all. Over a dozen dead bodies that I've found, cockroaches that actually reach up and open doors because they are too big to crawl under, fires, floods, shootings, stabbings...two suicides. I've pulled things out of sewer lines that you wouldn't believe (and some I'd like to forget). I've seen houses so dirty you wouldn't believe people lived there...once a constable caught menengitis just opening the front door to serve an eviction notice. Fun, huh? By the way...one part of the Housing Authoritys mission statement is "..to provide a clean, safe work enviroment". I still get a kick out of that...oh well, it's a job. I get decent insurance, it pays the bills and every once in a while there's enough left over to buy a model kit or two...