Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 71 Ranger Pickup

Daf57

I have just gone through the listing of 1971 Ford Truck Colors. I was looking for paints I could get to match some of the truck colors. Since I am going to put in an order with Scale Finishes, I dug through Paintref and matched up the color codes ....

I've got a set of Ford Truck color chips, I think they run 69-75, I'll scan them Monday when I'm next in work and have access to a scanner.

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! (For people in other parts of the country, feel free to substitute "Yeeeee Haw!, Okie Dokie, or DUUUUUUUUUDE!!! as you see fit)

They're here!!! I just got my kits handed to me by the mailman. (I was tearing the box open on the porch while we were asking how each other's kids were doing and wishing each other a nice weekend!)

Here is the official procedure...

Take kit in right hand

Walk up to model building bench...

Take left forearm and sweep across bench, clearing all other projects off the side of the bench

Open and start building 1971 Ford Ranger XLT...

First impressions. Lots of parts

Second impression Even more parts

Everything's perfectly molded... The few decals look as good as any I've seen in a kit. Perfect chrome... Instructions are better than some I've gotten buying real cars! Possibly the best manuals in 1/25 scale kits. Full color charts, The 1971 has diagrams of the three types of two tones, and a full listing of all color combinations sorted out by the interior colors they were available with. Parts breakdown looks excellent. The engine and transmission are broken down so that the only seam to fill will be on the transmission. The bellhousing is a separate, one piece, molding. Every company needs to stop what they are doing and look at this kit. This may be the new high water mark in automotive models. I can't speak on the fit, yet, as I am still picking my jaw up off of the floor. Hopefully the fit is as good as the rest of the kit. I am sure some little things will pop up during the building of the kit, but this should look so nice when it's finished! I can't wait to get building. I just need to decide which one to do first. The only improvement I can see would be to have some interior colors shown, so we can see how the different interior color schemes look. That is a minor detail, considering that this kit already has the best instructions I have seen since the Hudsons. All in all, the kit and instructions are top notch, and nobody else has come close to matching the quality of Moebius' instructions. These kits had a lot of hype built up, and I was already expecting perfection. I am not disappointed. I will be building all weekend!

This is the type of kit I have wanted to build since I was twelve. It's finally here. My only question for Dave is, "What took you so long?!" ;)

Seriously, congrats to Dave and the Moebius crew. I know it was a huge project for you guys, and it ended up running a long time, but the end result looks worth it. The only problem is that this is going to be the new standard that all tools will be measured against in the future. Perfection is hard to beat. So get going on the Pontiacs and the Comets! You have an even higher bar now, but take a couple of days off to step back, watch the response to these kits, pat yourselves on the backs and say, "It was worth it."

Great looking kit.

Just remember a pickup truck is more useful offroad and in tight spots. They have also saved a few big rigs stuck in snow. They all have a place and use though. And a cummins aint no car engine nor is a powerstroke or duramax well not sure on the dmax. Old semis were just big pickups. But neither amount to ships mine trucks or trains just sayin.

It was a tough decision between the 1969 and the 1971 , with my final decision being the 1969 . What decided me was its hubcaps ! Why ? I've been fascinated by those FoMoCo truck and van hubcaps since I was a wee lad ; that design was just so intricate ! So , 40+ years later , I finally got a kit that has them !

I can hardly wait !

Got the pickups today and they are incredibly nice kits. Have gone throught the 1971 and having the exterior colors and 2 tone combinations called out is great.

Do find it strange that there are no color guides for the parts. Not tough to figure out but given the insturctions in the Hudsons and Chryslers from Moebius this seams odd ?

I have been cleaning up and filling this kit for a couple of hours now. A couple more observations. There are no colors listed for any of the chassis or motor parts, so you will need to have Google up on the computer while painting all of those little parts. I am putting together a folder of pictures, but having some references will be necessary for exact accuracy.

I am cleaning up the 1971 Ranger first. So far, I am still thrilled with this kit. That said, there are some little things that need to be done with every kit, and this kit has its own little quirks. First, I misspoke in my post above. The separate bellhousing is on the 1969 with the manual transmission. Obviously the automatic in the 1971 is a two piece casting with a seam to clean up. This model has a very fine texture over most of its surface. It is so fine that it is a non issue. It will not show through even the thinnest layer of paint, and the chrome and some of the fine detailed parts are all polished smoothly. So far, everything I have fit is rally smooth. They did a nice job locating the sprue connections, but there are always some connections that can't be hidden. So far, I haven't found anything difficult to remove. They all have been in areas that sand out easily. The parting lines on the cab are well located, but they are a bit hidden with the texture. They are very fine, and will be easy to remove. There are a lot of keys, pins and locators on this kit, and they are all well hidden, and very positive. The innder and outer bedsides all lock into the floor in such a way that I think I will try painting the parts separately, and then assemble them after polishing and foiling! This way, I won't have paint building up in the recessed corners. The fit is fantastic, and the keys lock things into place so that you couldn't build it crookedly if you tried! The interior is the same way. I am not sure about the panel behind the seat, as I might actually have to touch it with a sanding stick to perfect the fit. You could build the bed and interior completely without filler or putty and not have it look sloppy at all. The fit is that slick. You will still need to get the parting lines and sprue attachment points filed down and sanded smooth, but there were no gaps or seams that the gluing and cleaning up the joint with a sanding stick wouldn't fix. The details are crisply molded, too, so paint detailing, masking and foiling should all be easy, with clean, crisp lines to follow. Again, look up pictures of the real truck on your favorite search engine, because the details will stick out if they are left in the background color! This interior deserves a bit of extra attention.

The engine looks nice, so far, although I haven't done that much with it yet. I do notice that the heads are keyed, so that the location is positive, and the heads will end up on the correct sides of the block. Everything looks well molded, and having seen pictures of the completed 390 on the other build thread, I have very high hopes that mine will look nice too. The one slight spot I noticed is the bed floor. The bottom of the bed floor really scared me, because there were some really deep ejector pin marks. Just as I was wondering how the heck I was going to fix them, I tried fitting the frame to the floor. All of the pin marks are located so that they are covered by the frame, and invisible! Nice Job Moebius! The top of the floor does show some very slight ripples where the cross braces are molded into the bottom of the piece. It is very slight, and you can only see it holding it to the light at an angle, but it is there, and if I was building for GLSMCC, or another big contest, I would have to figure out how to sand it out. As it is, it is so slight, and it would be very difficult to smooth it out across all of the bed ribbing, so I think I will leave it. It is not enough of a problem to worry about for 99.99% of the builds. (I am really nitpicking here, it's as well molded as it could be, considering the nature of the part.) The tires are very nice, with no sidewall decal except for a raised band, but the tread is excellent, and they have the right look.

I will be starting a build thread in the workbench area, and I might even get some decent pictures later in the weekend. This kit is really nice, and It should build up as well as anything I have done. This should be a decent model for a younger or less experienced modeler, even though it has a lot of parts and details. Everything fits well and locates easily. I'll put any more observations into my workbench thread. This kit, while it will take a bit of care in a couple of spots, is going to end up changing the way kits are made, kind of like the '66 Nova did back in the Eighties. The fit is really nice on the parts I have done so far.

Good news!

if you go to http://www.scalefinishes.com/moebius.html All the colors used on that truck are listed!!! I even threw in a handy link on bottom of the section that shows all the colors, and how the two tone schemes can be painted.

And, it that wasn't good enough... If you want to get any of those colors in Basecoats, just contact me, I will be more than happy to whip up some for you.

I really like the little short box.

Can anyone tell me if the Model King version will be available in retail hobby stores in Canada.

I ask only because we did not get the Model King version of the 57 Ford a couple of years ago.

I know I can mail order if necessary....

thanks, Brian

Picked up the '69 Friday. Very nice product.

Question regarding two-tones: Assuming the combination two-tone (i.e., black/white/black,) would the inside of the box be black or white?

Charlie Larkin

Whatever the upper fenders/hood are. Same for the interior and firewall.

405790-29.jpg

Got my Model King 1969 F-100 shortbeds in from The Modelroundup on Saturday, just ordered my 1971 F-100 Longbeds from Tower Hobbies, should have them here by this weekend.

Just have to get the weather to agree with painting and I can get busy!

I got my 69 today....most surfaces have a texture you can easily feel (like the Hudson? worse?)

also the kit reeks of some sort of oil-like smell, but nothing feels oily but I got the smell on my fingers after handling it...so it'll need a good cleaning before anything else.

To build a base truck, I'll have to remove a lot of trim, not hard but kinda tedious.

Overall, I'd give it a B+ assuming I won't need to sand every inch of it before painting it....

Is polishing the molds too expensive nowadays? I would like them to discontinue producing "textured" kits....

Edited by mike 51