Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 71 Ranger Pickup

Daf57

The first one I had was I believe a 1967 that I bought around 1971. The cab was great but the bed was shot. The drivers side outer skin was full of holes from the chrome down, front to back. It wasn't far from looking like screen. The inside bed panel was fine. The passenger side was just the opposite, the outside was fine but the inside was gone.

I draped fiberglass cloth over the bad panels basically making completely new panels.

I'm really hoping someone will do a photoetch and/or resin set to do a Mercury version.

1968 was the last year that a Mercury truck was available in Canada. There was a '68 mercury one ton sitting near me for sale - I can get some photos if anyone wants ifit is still there. Today, Mercury trucks are seldom seen any more even around here..

Whoever told you that must have lived in a city <_< From the production figures I've seen out of Oakville, the mercs accounted for as much as forty percent of production some years. Even today when I'm scouting the back roads and farms about the same percentage of the old Fords I come across are wearing the winged helmet.

Gary, did you check out the link on post 136?

mike

Edited by mk11

I've had the privilege to know Dave Metzner for now a good 40 years (from meeting up at IPMS contests, to working just down the hallway from him at Playing Mantis, to being called upon to help review CAD drawings and tooling mockups, to the now finished product), and I can say, I think, that this pickup project has bedeviled Dave for more than two full years now.

Guys, a few bits and snippets here and there on this, and other message boards do not begin to describe what Dave's gone through on this project--a lesser man would have lost his cool completely some time ago--it has been that big a nightmare for him and his employer!

Spare Dave, and me, the drivel that normally crops up on this and other boards from people who've NEVER been involved in model kit development--virtually all who post such stuff may have peripheral knowledge or skills--but as a farmer client of my Dad once observed: "If you don't have hog manure on your boots, yer not a hog farmer!" Seriously guys, developing a model car or pickup kit ain't no "finger-snapping" and it's a perfect kit project--no way.

'Nuff said, and I've got that one off my chest!

Art

Whoever told you that must have lived in a city <_< From the production figures I've seen out of Oakville, the mercs accounted for as much as forty percent of production some years. Even today when I'm scouting the back roads and farms about the same percentage of the old Fords I come across are wearing the winged helmet.

Gary, did you check out the link on post 136?

mike

That's one plant though- it may have varied. For instance- in 1948 the Windsor plant built 32,388 Ford trucks and 10,073 Mercury trucks for example, which would be a pretty generous number of Mercurys for the year. From what I've seen, the number of Mercury trucks built in a given year would still mean your odds are much better of finding one with Ford badging, even if there are more Mercs than you might be led to expect. :rolleyes:

Correct on all counts, Chuck. It definitely did vary by year, during the '46-'64 Windsor production and '65-'68 Oakville/ San Jose builds; with the final few years combined with the Ford numbers so possibly only the Marti records would have that info.

Anyways, I digress... Thanks again, Dave, for sticking with this project through it all B)

mike

Edited by mk11

It truely is an amazing looking kit. That being said it would be uber awesome if moebius would take on the 70s ih pickups. But I have a list of hopes and dreams in 1/25 scale.... Great to know that the project made it to production and will soon be to public.