Model Cars Magazine Forum

First build - any suggestions?

Hi folks,

Ok the post Christmas credit cards just about sorted and payday's rolling around :)

Considering a first kit - needs to be something I can get from Amazon.co.uk or a similar online UK retailer as my local model shop is BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.

Would this be a good first choice and not too hard?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferrari-458-Italia-Model-07141/dp/B003E47HP0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421750183&sr=8-2&keywords=revell+458

Or any other suggestions.

I'll also have to buy all the paints etc from scratch as all I have are GW acrylics so I want to keep the total costs under about $200

Cheers :)

Dave,

I will tell you getting a nice painted finish on the body is the biggest challenge for beginning modelers. So I would suggest you find a kit where the body is one color basic. Notice the black trim around the windows on the 458 kit you referenced, you will need to paint that so it may not be a good starting point. Although an older body style (maybe a '32 Ford) might not be the type of car you are interested in but it would be a good starting choice. Something without a lot of chrome details on the body because again you will need to paint these details or apply self adhesive metal foil.

A NASCAR kit might also be a good starter because the car is usually one basic color with all the graphics included as decals.

I would not spend anywhere near $200 trying to build your first kit. You should be able to get the kit, glue and various paints (spray paint for the body and brush paint for various details) for around $60.

When you are selecting a kit look for something with a Skill Level 2 or below. The higher the Skill Level number the more challenging the kit will be to build.

Hope this helps and good luck.

JC

It depends on what you are interested in.

I kind of disagree with JC, I think it's good to start practising painting your model straight from the start. With basic spray can paints you can turn out some really impressive results and before painting you can remove mold lines and flash from the body without ruining the look of the molded in color plastic.

Maybe a Hot Rod isn't the best for your first model, as they have lots of small and very fragile parts that are sometimes a real pain to glue on place. Though if I remember correctly, for example, Revell's '32 Ford 3W Coupe went really well together.

I think adding Bare Metal Foil isn't that hard, but if you'd like to paint the chrome trim silver (Or if the car is newer and it has rubber trim, then black) use masking tape and it will turn out good. I would not be afraid of doing that.

My first model ever was AMT '60 Ford Starliner. It went together pretty nicely and it had lots of parts. It was a lot of fun to build and I think it was perfect for a first model. Just watch the instructions carefully and do not rush anything & it will turn out really nice.

If you can find an AMT/Ertl Scout II kit, that would be a good starter. It was the second kit I ever built.

It's simplified, yes, and needs some more details, but it goes together without problems, and looks good to the non-prying eyes.

Put the body on the chassis/interior tub lightly so you can come back and detail it later, when you're more comfortable with other kits.

I'm going to suggest the Monogram/Revell '32 Ford roadster-the 1/24 scale one (from the 60s-used to be the Li'l Deuce)not the 90s release in 1/25 scale.Why?It has fewer parts(and no separate chassis-the axles attach to the underbody),assembles easily,and is easy to paint.

The Ferrari is a nice kit for Revell. The black trim is not hard to do if you have access to Sharpie marker pens. Just color the glass on the underside of the glass and it will look great. Tamiya sprays are very good and easy to use. The come in nice colors and their military line has flat paints that will work on the interior colors. They come in both spraycans and small bottles for brush painting. Flat paints work well with a good brush. Metalizer paints from Testors, Model master, or Tamiya to paint those metallic surfaces. You want that aluminum engine block to look like aluminum. There is not much bright work on a modern Ferrari, so Bare Metal Foil isn't needed, but I would get some for future projects. Basic tools would include an X-acto or similar knife handle and a supply of No. 11 blades to use in it. Tweezers and small needle nose pliers for attaching parts that are small. Sanding paper or clothe in very fine grits starting from 8,000, 10,000, 12,000, 16,000 and so on for wet sanding paint jobs so you can get a mirror finish. Like doing it in the real car body shops. Small drill bits for opening holes for mounting mirrors, drilling out holes in the cylinder heads and distributor for plug wires Finding odd bits of tubing, wires of small gauges is a good thing for your building arsenal. You can also make a small paint stand from a block of wood and some metal coat hanger wire. It's cheaper that way and you don't have to buy a commercially available piece. Or you can just use a spray can to prop the body on top.

I like lordairgtar's advice up above the best. Though the others are very good too. The only thing lordairgtar missed, is also get a sprue cutter/nipper. It's the only way to remove parts from the trees cleanly and safely. One of those basic, must have tools.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I would avoid anything Revell for starters. instead if you are interested in exotics, pick something from either Tamiya or Fujimi. much more likely to end up nice and Tamiya in particular is known for excellent fit and very accurate moldings. this will pretty much guarantee a positive experience for you and allow you to build your skills while still getting a nice sense of accomplishment from your first model.

Tamiya and Fujimi kits should be available from amazon or you can check out www.hlj.com which is hobby link japan and a direct line to the best kits at reasonable prices. "reasonable" may vary though.

one thing about Revell kits: they are relatively cheap. that might not be so for many Tamiya or Fujimi.

jb