Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mercedes 300SL Announced, new pics added to OP

martinfan5

AMT is ancient tool, but really nice build, things fit, good engraving. Side vents not great, but OK for '65.

Actually, they changed between some incarnation and another.

Initially they were open-work, but then morphed into relief. The Matchbox-AMT issue I built eons ago certainly didn't have them open anymore.

Here you can see them centre left from the "Autobahn" version:

Mercedes__10_.JPG

Here they are centre right from the "Prestige" version:

03-13AMTgullwingpts1_zps4ff807a9.jpg

I had, and built, the Heller Gullwing many moons ago and it's long gone. It was OK, but typical Heller: high parts count but soft detail; horrible tires, etc. I don't think it was too far off proportionately, overall, but there were inaccuracies. The AMT kit is way better, and in my opinion one of the better kits of any car subject from that era.

I like that Tamiya modeled the entire chassis. The tubular space frame on that car was carried over from the racing 300SLs/SLRs and is the very reason that the car was a gullwing. I always liked that about the Gullwing - no gimmick there - just form following function.

I may build the Tamiya kit just for that chassis.

PB.

It's kind of interesting that they can go to the trouble of copying the entire tube chassis and supply a clear belly pan so you can see it. But can't figure out out that the seats in the full size car had backs, and then have the model seats visible enough to see the lack of rear panels.

It's kind of interesting that they can go to the trouble of copying the entire tube chassis and supply a clear belly pan so you can see it. But can't figure out out that the seats in the full size car had backs, and then have the model seats visible enough to see the lack of rear panels.

Good catch. Nothing a bit of plastic sheet won't fix luckily. The rest of it looks mint.

Ben

Ah... Mr. Tamiya has finally seen the light, and stopped silly tradition of making silly or repeated subjects. Chapeau Tamiya-san.

I doubt it will be more detailed than Italerie 300 SL convertible and gull wing. But I hope (and am confident) the parts fit will be superior. Hopefully Tamiya-san will not disappoint me. After all it will be no less than 50 or 60 Bucks.

Edited by khier

Silly or repeated subjects ehh? Care to give examples?

Nissan skyline GT-R 35 - made by Fujimi, Aoshima and Tamiya -> repeated subject

Ferrari Laferrari - made by Revell (I do not really remember who announced it first) -> another repeated subject

While Fujimi and Aoshima were racing to release a Lamborghini after the other, and while there are not a single Ferrari FF kit available and they release the F86/BRZ twin -> It would be surprising if someone finds an F86 more exciting than an FF or an Aventador.

Ferrari Laferrari - made by Revell (I do not really remember who announced it first) -> another repeated subject

While Fujimi and Aoshima were racing to release a Lamborghini after the other, and while there are not a single Ferrari FF kit available and they release the F86/BRZ twin -> It would be surprising if someone finds an F86 more exciting than an FF or an Aventador.

Maybe I'm strange but I find the 300SL a lot more exiting than both twins and FF and Aventador. I guess it's just a different form of taste. Some people like it and some people don't.

I noticed that too.....TIM

In each case Tamiya made their kit first and other people followed. So with all due respect I don't think you can blame Tamiya for being copied.

I'd like an FF just to round out my Ferrari collection, but Aoshima and Fujimi already make Aventadors, and Tamiya really WOULD be copying there, and with Coupe, Roadster, and soon to be 50th Anniverario editions at Aoshima I can't even see what other Aventador there is to kit other than the J.

Edited by niteowl7710

I do, I love super cars as much as the next guy, but I also love the 86 twins, and have built 15 of them so far, and still have more to build

But thats not a fair comparison, you are basically comparing an apple to a carrot , both are completely different cares for different people , or, bank accounts. I know you are going to have a hard time understanding this, but the 86 twins are very popular around the world, people love them, people think, gasp, they are exciting, or fun to drive.

Edited by martinfan5

Who said Tamiya should follow with another Aventador? I said when they were racing to make an Aventador, meaning something new and desirable, Tamiya were doing the F86 duo. Who said I do not want to see a lot of classic Ferraries before the FF? But an FF or a Porsche 918 should have the priority to the F86 twin, the LFA or the Aston Martin. And BTW, repeated subjects are not Tamiya-specific sendrom. Lately Revell came out with another 2CV and a mini, but never cared to make a variant that never appeared before, like a country man/club man, or 2CV van. Thanks God we have Ebbro. Fujimi made the Enzo years after Tamiya already saturated the market. Aoshima repeated the 350Z but no one made a convertible. I know these releases may have some improvements compared to the previous versions, but wouldn't it be better t omake a totally new subject rather than editing an old one. I like and welcome the new version of the SL, but frankly I would have appreciated a Pagoda, a Facell Vega or a Lancia Aurelia much more, or if it has to be a 300SL, then it should be the Pan American winner.

Who said Tamiya should follow with another Aventador? I said when they were racing to make an Aventador, meaning something new and desirable, Tamiya were doing the F86 duo. Who said I do not want to see a lot of classic Ferraries before the FF? But an FF or a Porsche 918 should have the priority to the F86 twin, the LFA or the Aston Martin. And BTW, repeated subjects are not Tamiya-specific sendrom. Lately Revell came out with another 2CV and a mini, but never cared to make a variant that never appeared before, like a country man/club man, or 2CV van. Thanks God we have Ebbro. Fujimi made the Enzo years after Tamiya already saturated the market. Aoshima repeated the 350Z but no one made a convertible. I know these releases may have some improvements compared to the previous versions, but wouldn't it be better t omake a totally new subject rather than editing an old one. I like and welcome the new version of the SL, but frankly I would have appreciated a Pagoda, a Facell Vega or a Lancia Aurelia much more, or if it has to be a 300SL, then it should be the Pan American winner.

I think tamiya parts fit alone warrants this kit (SL300 Gullwing) even though other companies have done it years ago. I looked at the tamiya website. They have 2 blank "coming soon" spots. 1 being filled by the 300SL I presume and another one unknown. So we might see a Porsche 918 or McLaren P1 from tamiya. Cheers.

Ben

MSRP on this is 4,200¥. Which for those people who resolutely refuse to buy their Japanese kits via Japan means the LHS shelf price is going to be around $75-80.

For those of us smart enough to do direct importing, the price at HLJ is 3,360¥, which with the favorable exchange rate is working out to $28.57 this morning.

I'll wait while all the crybabies tell me $29 is too much to pay for this kit, I'll be over here preordering it.

Just pre- ordered mine, they can't calculate the shipping until the item is in stock, but the kit is coming in at just under £19.00

Tamiya kits usually weigh in *rimshot* at about 1,000¥ if shipped via SAL. It's been so long since I've only had one kit to ship, I don't actually worry about the per kit cost anymore. Big FedEx crates work out to like $6/kit Edited by niteowl7710