Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Chrysler 300

StevenGuthmiller

Well, here it is. My 1965 Chrysler 300. Took almost exactly 1 month to finish this build. Exactly where I like to be. I figure 12 builds per year is perfect for me. Pretty much box stock, although I did take a few liberties with this one. As far as I know, steel wheels & dog dish caps were not available as an option on the 300 in '65, but I liked the look, plus the old built up was missing the stock hubcaps when I got it & I didn't want to deal with the time & cost of Modelhaus pieces. Besides, I think it gives it that sort of "sleeper"/ "grandpa's hot rod" vibe. Dog dishes are all the rage on muscle cars these days, why not on a big old yacht like this? Otherwise, It's painted in factory correct "Royal Turquoise" with a not so correct cream & turquoise interior, another little touch of my own. I don't believe this color combo was available, but it should have been! :D Other touches include, scratch built antenna, interior rear view mirror, head light covers and the body colored panel behind the grille under the hood to help cover up the ugly grille backs so prevalent on these old kits. I also flocked the carpet & tinted the glass & added a full array of under hood decals courtesy of "speedwaydecals.com". Now it's off to Cancun Mexico for a week to relax & contemplate my next project. B) Take care all!!

Steve

2v29Sgpf5xwUbWP.jpg2v29SgpK8xwUbWP.jpg2v29Sgp1MxwUbWP.jpg2v2v1vo7FxwUbWP.jpg2v29Sgp7zxwUbWP.jpg2v2v1vo4nxwUbWP.jpg2v29hq4DnxwUbWP.jpg2v29hq4TdxwUbWP.jpg2v2v1voYqxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Thanks a lot guys! It was another fun build. Not sure where I'm headed next. I have so many great old kits to build, sometimes I have a hard time making a decision on what I want to do. It's between these; '58 Ford, ( which I just seem to keep putting off) '65 Dodge Monaco, '61 Ford Starliner, '59 Pontiac hardtop & the one I've been putting off for 20 years, a '62 Chrysler 300! :) Steve

Beautiful subject, beautifully rendered. Great colour choices and your trademark sharp-as-a-knife detailing. Wonderful!

( I do wonder if the type of person who would have ordered the 2-tone interior would have also specified dog-dish caps. OMG, am I becoming a nit-picker?)

I really like those steel wheels! If I ordered one of these new, I'd for sure order it with steelies. Very nice work all over (As usual), fantastic paint work and as Peter said above, fantastic clean job with the BMF. Excellent looking Chrysler for sure.

How about building the Pontiac next? That would be an easy pick to me as it's the only GM-product on that list. :D