Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

This has potential to affect new kit arrivals

Jon Cole

I buy the kits Revell makes in America. I also bought the new MPC/Round2 FordVan 1/20 kit .

Then you don't buy new kits then! Revell may BOX some of them in America, but the bags INSIDE come from CHINA!! I'm sure that the same implies to the Round 2 van.

Then you don't buy new kits then! Revell may BOX some of them in America, but the bags INSIDE come from CHINA!! I'm sure that the same implies to the Round 2 van.

Actually some of the older and/or oddball tooling (of which a 1/20 van fits into both) were never shipped overseas. An example from Revell would be the recently reissued Nissan Pick-Up. That kit hadn't been run since the merger and being a SnapTite kit with "limited appeal" the tooling was never shipped to China. It says "Molded in the USA" right on the box. Granted the box was made in China and the decals in Italy, but that's the Global Supply Chain. Edited by niteowl7710

So you are saying that Revell and Round 2 are flat out lying ?i have not been to these factories or interviewed employes that work there but I turst what they print on the box , mostly because you can tell by the look of the plastic .

Revell kits made here are of a stiffer plastic and more pure white . The china ones are softer plastic and more milky white .

I work for an auto parts company that relies on parts being shipped in from the Pacific Rim and this work slowdown has had an effect on our business big time. If this goes on much longer, I can say goodbye to another good sales year as the recovery time is a minimum of 3-6 months.

... not to mention the brilliant idea of outsourcing the billing operation to India . That hasn't caused any problems with customers' accounts at all ! :rolleyes:

( i hope that the college kid with manicured hands that thought up that scheme got a huge bonus ! :o )

As for the container ships waiting at sea to be unloaded with goods, I'm in FAVOR of the Longshoreman's strike as the members need to fight for wages and benefits to provide for their families. The CEO's are getting paid WAY to much to walk around in expensive suits and look good, while the workers are bustin' their hump everyday.

Actually some of the older and/or oddball tooling (of which a 1/20 van fits into both) were never shipped overseas. An example from Revell would be the recently reissued Nissan Pick-Up. That kit hadn't been run since the merger and being a SnapTite kit with "limited appeal" the tooling was never shipped to China. It says "Molded in the USA" right on the box. Granted the box was made in China and the decals in Italy, but that's the Global Supply Chain.

Adding to this, take the newly issued 67 Camaro, on the box, "Made In China" now for curiosity , I grab a Round 2 kit, it was the Ford Phantom kit, and it say made in China.

As for the container ships waiting at sea to be unloaded with goods, I'm in FAVOR of the Longshoreman's strike as the members need to fight for wages and benefits to provide for their families. The CEO's are getting paid WAY to much to walk around in expensive suits and look good, while the workers are bustin' their hump everyday.

Not saying that the workers aren't in need of good wages and benefits, but when they average nearly $150,000/year in wages, I'd like to think they are doing much better than some of us who make a fraction of that!

The effects on our economy will be great, deep and wide if they were to strike, be careful what you wish for.

The CEO's making a better living at the workers expense? Yep, they get that from our politicians!

I think some of the higher gas prices we're seeing in the Chicago area are related to a BP refinery strike, apparently they're seeking better pay, more staff, and safer working conditions at the Whiting, Indiana facility.

That and the price of a barrel of oil has climbed back up $10/barrel.

Cool video Casey. I have enough kit to last me at my pace a good while. Tamiya paint would be what I would need. Now there are so many other thing and jobs that will come into play. It is something that the Union and Port has to work out. I was a worker before my disability so I feel for the American worker...

I'm curious as to the borderline paranoia that this little spat between the Union & Management is going to effect the availability of a kit there isn't even a release date on beyond "2Q". Considering the backlog of kits from the 4th and 1st quarter (which again has nothing to do with this problem) I wouldn't hold out hope that the '29 Ford was magically gonna drop out of the skies in April...

Moreover someone is ALWAYS threatening a work shutdown at the Port of Long Beach and associated sites. If it's not the Longshoremen, it's the Union representing the Clerks, or it's the Port Drayage Drivers. The United States is in the unique position of having THREE coast lines with deep water ports. Stuff not yet on the water will be routed towards the East or Gulf Coasts, and the increased boat shipping costs will be offset by lower rail costs since those containers will not have to ride cross country to get to where 85% of the population resides.

The truckers will lose money, the West Coast railroads (UP & BNSF) will lose money and in a week or two people are gonna force the two sides to be locked in an empty container until they deal with each other since above all principles, MONEY talks.

I'm curious as to the borderline paranoia that this little spat between the Union & Management is going to effect the availability of a kit there isn't even a release date on beyond "2Q". Considering the backlog of kits from the 4th and 1st quarter (which again has nothing to do with this problem) I wouldn't hold out hope that the '29 Ford was magically gonna drop out of the skies in April...

Moreover someone is ALWAYS threatening a work shutdown at the Port of Long Beach and associated sites. If it's not the Longshoremen, it's the Union representing the Clerks, or it's the Port Drayage Drivers. The United States is in the unique position of having THREE coast lines with deep water ports. Stuff not yet on the water will be routed towards the East or Gulf Coasts, and the increased boat shipping costs will be offset by lower rail costs since those containers will not have to ride cross country to get to where 85% of the population resides.

The truckers will lose money, the West Coast railroads (UP & BNSF) will lose money and in a week or two people are gonna force the two sides to be locked in an empty container until they deal with each other since above all principles, MONEY talks.

Where is the like button for this, oh wait, here it is

imagesqtbnANd9GcS5ZiBuqmArbPHKxoPiN_zps0

Supposedly this matter has been settled and it's back to work tomorrow for the longshoremen. The problem will be getting the backlog cleared up, which is rumored to take up to three months to do so. For some businesses, the damage is done and others it will just be a while before anything resembling "normal" returns.

A lot of fruits and vegetables were lost due to this work slowdown and that is unfortunate as we will all pay the price at the grocery store. Not that I am a fan of Wal Mart but they, along with many retailers, have been impacted by a lack of goods.

I had an interesting conversation with one of my suppliers who manufactures his brake pads here in the US. They have been swamped with orders from customers who normally purchase from China but are out of stock due to the strike. They have been running extra shifts but do realize it is a short term thing as once the Chinese product hits the shelves, they will have less demand. He also mentioned that this has impacted car production for ALL car manufacturers as they source from overseas (Pacific Rim) and utilize just in time shipping.