Model Cars Magazine Forum

39 Dodge custom hauler - Finished.

Thanks Clayton my next challenge is the front bumper. The ford bumper is to long and skinny. I'm thinking some thing along the line of a Texas bumper. Im open for ideas.

I wonder, this old cab has curves. A regular Texas bumper might not look quite right, IMO. Maybe a modified 377 bumper, it has some taper to it, it's bent around the sides, hhmmmm. I can hook you up with 1 or 2, if you want, to experiment.

Clayton - thanks yea I will take you up on your offer see PM

Joe - thanks for the comments I'm not sure about the firewall I don't have any good reference pictures and not sure what would be requires other wise I would add some detail.

Dennis - thanks there was a lot of grinding to get every thing to fit.

I would try to make a custom bumper that mocks the shape of the front end. It shouldnt be too hard to bend one out of some thin brass. It would add a lot to the build. I think adding a bumper from another truck would look like just that. The time period in which this truck is from, the cars had big elaborate chrome curvy bumpers. The truck would look good the same.

Edited by Superpeterbilt

Terry - thanks for the input I'm at a mix of old style and custom but I think the bumper will need more old style.

Richard - thanks for your comment I have agree this is not an engine you would want to work on.

Richard, I think Dan has made all the wiring to the front clip "Quick disconnect" and the front clip itself is removeable to facilitate servicing. B)

I've been working all over this yesterday and today so here's most of the items I've been working on. First I ground the backs off the heat light buckets to mont on the resin head light mounts I picked up. Worked on removing the dips in the ramp I covered them with some checker plate and added some strips on the sides and filer where I made the cuts to lower the ramps. I've glued the fuel tanks and have them in the tub de chromeing. I've started checking out the exhaust fit up to the stacks and will be moving the fuel tanks forward that will put them under the door foot steps and provide room for the stacks to pass through. Painted the interior yellow and primer on the cab. Here's the pictures.

694a7bcf4328a2fbdd33c8044dd04889.jpg

dc04d468023a4911f458fd51574be888.jpg

347bf56746483ceadd08a6e107ed407e.jpg

c1fcdc2705ed3d7d070843aa9ead2fb1.jpg

Finished up the fuel tanks and mounted them on the frame also added checker plate to the top of the storage compartment so it can be used as a viewing point at car shows. Getting ready to start priming the back section. Thanks for the support and comments.

77c68c3e95afc137d2737e34ae52d2e3.jpg

23fc229e2df39161b98f17c82bac8d8b.jpg

90f3bea10b006c20ccec58aa2aaba943.jpg