Model Cars Magazine Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. A few more details - and its done - will be painted silver …
  3. Box me in and I'll either go around you or through you.
  4. Maserati sports cars used radiators that had expansion or header tanks - similar to the Alfa open wheelers - the tanks were tapered - the radiators all looked alike - their dimensions varied depending on the engine size …. This one was made with spare parts, Evergreen strip, and a scrap of Renshape for the header tank -
  5. Wow thats awesome! I use a bobby pin for my hurst shifters.
  6. As seen in MCM # 223. This is AMT's Kenworth W925. I've done a couple of these now, and as I said in the article, I like this kit, even though it's ancient and the molds are obviously getting tired. I upgraded the truck with some 3D printed wheels & tires, headache rack, mudflaps, and horns. Also added aluminum pipe for the stacks. Made them taller than the kit parts, and slightly wider diameter. The steer tires are definitely larger than stock, as I think it just looks better that way. Rears are slightly wider, but not by much. I think the tread patterns on both look much better. Each front wheel consists of the rim, brake drum/hub, and 10 lug nuts. Rears are just one piece, but look so much better than the kit wheels I didn't do anything special with the engine, because I never display these with engine showing anyway. I tried a few different front bumpers, but wasn't happy with how any of them turned out. Same for the grille. Paint is Tamiya Bright Red over Tamiya pink primer. Chrome is a Duplicolor Chrome spray. Turns out more like a bright aluminum finish, which I quite like. I use this paint a lot. Now I just need to get around to building the matching trailer.
  7. Reality can be a hard pill to swallow to those dependent on continually regurgitated nonsense on the idiot box!
  8. thanks James. Thanks Tommy. Thanks Chuck. Yes , you would see a lot of these back then in camping parks. Thanks Keith. Thanks Mike. Thanks Andrew. Thanks Chris. Thanks Jeff. Looking forward to build those. Thanks Carl. Thanks Ricky. The paint is bright red Tamiya (TS-49) Thank you Oscar, Moebius kits go very well together but because there were so many warped parts, it complicated the process but in all it turned out ok. Thank you Steve, The color is Tamiya bright red TS-49. The camper was done from mostly photos from the web and a very nice side drawing which I blew up to 1/25 scale for reference. Thanks Matthew.
  9. Well....actually they should! It's not your fault for "missing" that detail nor AMT's for putting it there. Studebaker's policy for the Avanti was running changes with no designated model years. Other people (such as me) call them 63's or 64's just to make things easy but Studebaker didn't. The AMT kit clearly represents a "transitional" car. These were built in August of 1963 and introduced 1964 parts as they became available. The kit has the "trifecta" that positively says it's August 1963: the extra cowl vents, round headlight rims, and a grill. Yes, earlier cars had no grill - just an opening. To build an earlier original style Avanti, leave off the grill and fill the added cowl vents. All the '64 cars had the vents and grill as well as squared headlight trim. So, there's actually nothing wrong with your build and it looks great! When you get around to building your '64 later, I recommend the site below (and there are lots of others, too) for background info. There are underhood changes to be aware of also. https://theavanti.com/r1.html
  10. fiction: something invented by the imagination or feigned...like the concept of reality...
  11. I also got the firewall mounted along with the radiator, pedals and shifter
  12. Hey, Guys......... I've always liked the Mach 1 Mustangs. I have a hankerin' to build a '71 Mach 1, but the color scheme I want to go with may take some mixing of kits..... I would like to go with a deep scarlet color with silver stripes. It's my understanding the AMT kit comes with the stripes in silver. I would rather build the better Revell kit...... Will the decals from the AMT kit fit the Revell kit? Thanks for any help......
  13. Not so much a irk but more of a disappointment. Now that I have the time to.. I was contemplating going up to the NNL East this weekend. My wife reminded me it would not be a good idea since I'm in the middle of settling my dad Estate and at this time I'm the only name on both properties and her and I haven't made a will of our own yet so if something happens to me it would be a major setback for all involved. Even though it's a bummer I still have two other shows to attend that are closer. Still disappointed and was looking forward to attending but there's always next years NNL East... God willing.
  14. I finally decided on the wheel tire combo. the fronts are from the 29 roadster kit and the rears spares box and parts pack.
  15. thank you Craig, I like it.
  16. I don't know why the Asian model companies do the discs grooved, I have seen several examples of that, the discs/rotors can be ventilated, slotted, drilled or nothing, but they have flat and smooth surface with no grooves what so ever.
  17. I am looking for this part #6. I checked E-Bay and I could build the Torino from all the parts except for this one. Thanks Mike
  18. Today
  19. For the Cannon Ball Run Countach there are only two alternatives as I see it, Fujimi Enthusiast Model EM series wich are full detail but they have curbside versions also and I believe they are RS series, or the Aoshima kit. The Fujimi kits are demanding to build as the body with flares and everything are separate pieces but with patience it will be a nice model. The Aoshima kit is a bit simpler than the Fujimi EM series kits but easier to build, and it looks good (I have one of each). So if you going to build an accurate model of the Cannonball Run Countach wich was a 5000 Quattrovalvole (QV) you need to go with either of these two and add the front wing.
  20. Thanks Gary, When I put the boot on, that is what made the car. Mike
  1. Load more activity