Model Cars Magazine Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Please Round 2, give us a new ‘71-3 Mustang kit! The MPC kit tooling deserves to be retired and sent to the nearest smelter, and the AMT kit would need too much work to return to stock.
  3. What engine does it have? I'm not into Fords but there are some interesting ones, like yours. I had a friend with a Mk 2 that ran a Rover V8 (215 c.i. Buick by another name)on 51/2J steel wheels. Squirrelly, but would do a genuine 140 mph. It was a well-worn red and looked completely standard except for the big tailpipes. It was known as the Red Bomber.
  4. Great job! Makes me want to start on my '32 again... !
  5. This will be cool to follow. At some point I will build a Warren Tope T/A Mustang which would require some major body surgery like you have strarted on. Just do not put a Ford engine in it.😁
  6. I love these cars Tom, and this is probably the best one I have ever seen. I like it so much it hurts. 🤩🤩🤩
  7. I really like this - super clean and nicely built!
  8. Welcome to the forum Mike! No matter the brand, model car building is fun and rewarding and you will certainly find a lot of inspiration and support here!!!
  9. Yes I agree the grill is far from perfect and yes the headlight area is black except on a 73 non Mach1 and I detest seeing the 73 bumper on a 71-72 Mustang and of course a real Boss 351 did come the factory with a chrome front bumper. For the real 71-72's Mach1's you can only get a used (and pricey) rubber bumper so I have seen many Mach1's with a chome one - anohter thing that drives me nuts. There are many issues with the AMT and MPC versions that I have mentioned every time I build either version. The grilles from Kevin @ Missing Link are a big improvement. Since I plan to end up building twenty 71-73 Mustang as much as I would like every one to be perfect with replacement parts for every single one it's not too practical. If you are build just a few version then by all means there is a lot of improvements that can be made for both. I will never pay collector prices $50-$150 for either kit knowing that there are just a few parts that are different and knowing at least four different resin casters that will make copies of various parts so I have accumulated a pretty good supply of better or copies of original parts. I basically laid out all those parts for each build and the first four I did were done with mostly the original kit parts but as I chip away at the next dozen or so and I learn the quirks about building them and whether I will include a 302 or 351 or 429 engine and whether it will it be an automatic of four speed etc. my forthcoming builds will benefit from replacing more and more of the kit parts with resin parts or engines from other kits. Stay tuned.
  10. really hard to forget your first big deuce, conversions
  11. Looking forward to this one as well.
  12. 40 years huh? Glad to know I am not the only one. Mine was started when I was 12, now I am 53. Keeps getting stalled.
  13. 1970 Chaparral Camaro Trans-Am - I started this project a few years ago and after doing the initial work to convert the front end to full bumper configuration it got shelved. With the prospect of the release of a full bumper kit I figured I would wait until I could get one of those before resuming this project. I have recently learned the release of the new kit has been significantly delayed apparently due to some tooling issues. This project is the last one on my list of started but not completed builds and I needed something to work on so I am back at. Up front I managed to approximate the full bumper grill area by mounting the grill upside down. The small inner headlights were filled. The center section of the bumper started as 1970 Mustang piece. The parking light area under the bumpers were cut open and then filled. For the flared wheel-wells, I first cut of the stock lip. I then cut away the body to match the shape of the inner wheel-wells. To this I glued sheet styrene and then reattached the lip after which the whole area was puttied. The wheels and tires are from Replicas & Miniatures.
  14. Those colors go well together Tom.
  15. Correct grill? Isn't it too narrow? Designed to fit in the '73 Mustang grill opening, which in turn is set up to accommodate the large squarish headlamp bezels the '73 Mustangs had? It's those headlamp surrounds that bothered me the most in converting my AMT '71 Boss 351 into a '71 Mach I. As you can see, I painted the chrome headlamp bezels flat black, which helped. But, it's still not really right. For either a '71 Boss 351, or a '71 and '72 Mach I.
  16. Which takes us back to the Deora kit - later issues have those baby moon reversed wheels. Plus you get a nicely dressed-up Slant Six in the bargain.
  17. I hear you. The backgrounds depicted here so far are very nice, but as you say, not enough time in the day. It gives me heart palpitations to think that the weeks spent making a back drop could have been spent on working on one of my models. But hats off to the guys who will take the time. Steve
  18. The sticker on the box lid in the video says - New 4 Piece Body. One would hope that means NEW NEW, and not "New"ly reissued thing we tooled up previously.
  19. I am not waiting. The grill area was turned upside down, the small inner lights filled, the parking light area under the bumpers cut opened and filled, the center part of the bumper from a 70 Mustang. I am building the Chaparral Trans Am racecar.
  20. What a sweet little roadster !! Love everything about it especially that it's built from spare parts. 👍👍👍
  21. I completely agree the engine on of the 2013 kit is by far better.. Cost wise, what would it be for the complete package? What I would do is, not use the blower or the intake. (2013) I'd fill that with plastic, As on the 2014 kit, (top of the engine) and use the intake cover from the 2014 kit. What I want to accomplish is.... https://www.rkmotors.com/vehicles/2107/1967-ford-mustang-gt Hopefully, that all makes sense. Trevor
  22. Painting has resumed. I thought that I would try using a darker base of Duplicolor garnet red to see if it would darken the finish a bit. Doesn't appear to have done much, but that's okay. I was perfectly happy with the color anyway. So, a couple of quick coats of dark red, followed by a couple of Sunfire Red is where I stand until my next order of Scale Finishes paint arrives. A couple more light coats should do the trick. With any luck I can avoid the paint issues that arose last time. Steve
  23. Today
  24. I've added some additional signage since this pic was taken. The base is a display case so it has a clear plastic cover that fits over it to keep it nice and clean.... -RRR
  1. Load more activity