Model Cars Magazine Forum

So what are your favorite muscle cars of 60's and 70's

When I was a kid growing up my dad ran a SS/I 70 duster 340. So I too am a MOPAR man. I liked the little motor, but if I was going for a muscle car it would be a HEMI 68 or 69 Barracuda. Nothing like the smell of burning rubber to prove your alive.

Dodge Daytona or Plymouth Superbird with a Hemi. I was taking a very long bike ride and ended up in a small town. Is I was riding down the main street I saw this little body shop with this in the front window.

STewart

P1010914.jpg

P1010917.jpg

With this next to it.

P1010915.jpg

P1010916.jpg

A 1969 AMX 390 as I once owned one! Mine was a very basic, go fast, no options car. It even had vacuum wipers! B)

I haven't built a model of it yet though as I have several kits including a '70. Second favorite would have to be that Superbird at the top of the page. I was fortunate enough to get a good look at this car every other weekend when these were new. A friend of the family had a next door neighbor who had a white one with a Hemi (I think).............when we would go over to her house for Sunday dinner for instance, there it was usually parked right in front of her door! :P

They were cheap cars for a long time throughout the '70's.............but come the '80's, prices EXPLODED! Anyone who has one these days it's like having rolling real estate!

I'm rather partial to the 1968 Ford 390 4V Torino GT Hardtop, since I have one... Other than that, I love the GTOs, Mustangs, Camaros, Javelins, aw heck, all of them.

I do tend to stray toward the lesser appreciated cars like the Torino. I like to be different and it seems everyone loves the mainline cars like Mustang and Camaro. On my street alone, three people have 60's Mustangs. I think there's only two Torinos on my side of San Antonio...

In no particular order,

1969 Yenko Camaro

1970 Chevelle

1969 Nova

1963 Nova

1966 Nova

1970 Camaro

1969 Mustang Boss 429

1965 GT350

1969 Super Bee

1968 Dart

1969 Charger

There's too many to list...

And I'm proud to say that I'm 12 and appreciate the true history behind cars!!! :D

Novas Mustangs and Darts are considered not muscle cars but pony cars.

Otherwise I would say it's a toss up for me between the Mustang and Nova.

ANY 68 to 70 Dodge/Plymouth muscle car, 66 Chevelle,, 68 to 73 Novas, 69 Camaro's an the 69/70 Mustang Boss 302's. ALL classic styled and FAST!:lol::D :D But in reality, i do tend ta like 'em ALL! Forgot the 69 SC/Rambler, gaudy little GIANT killer!!!!;):lol::P;)

Again, Novas and Mustangs were not technically considered muscle cars but they are Pony Cars.

1966-67 Fairlane GT or GT/A ('A' standing for automatic)

1968- 69 Torino GT (fastback preferably)

1963 Studebaker Avanti R3

1966- 67 Olds 442

1967- 69 Barracuda (fastback or notchback- the notchback looks so cool)

Duster 340

Challenger T/A

and for a big brute muscle car, how about a '69- '70 Marauder X100. Or a '63- '64 letter series 300

1967 Buick GS

Rebel Machine

any AMX or Javelin (i prefer the 2 seater AMX, but I'll gladly take the four seater)

Edited by Harold

says the guy who posted a Ferrari :D

there can be that "pony" car versus muscle car arguement but i'm not sure it's worth going there is it? now if you want to argue what's a sports car and what's a musclecar, lets start posting up some Corvette's and Cobra's.

Well it didn't say American Muscle Car... ;)

I don't know either, I just had some people make a huge freaking deal about the difference between a Muscle Car and a Pony Car before.

I had a '67 Camaro SS from '75 to '82, but my favorite was the '69 Camaro SS with the ralley stripes.

I almost bought a '68 SS with a 396, (back when I had the '67), but I didn't want to borrow the extra $300 I needed to meet the guys asking price of $800. That...and it needed a new clutch...