Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Aeromax 120 RV Conversion

I have begun my first Class 8 truck conversion, this project has been in the planning stages for a while. My first one will be built on a Revell Ford Aeromax 120, a kit I partially built back in high school. The kit had been in storage, along with others for quite a while. I had been a die hard model railroader, but now I have "diversified" and I am back into model kits too.

Anyway, I'm looking to scratchbuild the 25' coach body on a single axle, much like this rig. I think I'll go with the "standard white" paint too:

33801125-836_zpse6bc4b51.jpg

So far, I have finished the engine and I've started on the cab and chassis.

Power will come from a Detroit Diesel Series 60 from an Italeri 378 kit. I have painted it with real Series 60 Blue, a rattle can I picked up at a Freightliner truck repair shop. Plumbing and wiring is wire from Radio Shack. Decals are from Scale Truck Detail Studios by Kurt McLucas (You can get them from Ben @ Class A Resin). A big thanks to Kurt for his decals and reference pics from his awesome models.

041_zps54b77afb.jpg

040_zps1bc6445b.jpg

The cab parts, like many others, were warped and required putty fill and a bunch of work to get it together. Filled all of the roof holes, as with the bunk over the cab, I won't be mounting anything there. It has been sanded and is ready for primer:

038_zpsca2eb3b6.jpg

The workbench has the spread of parts, frame has been stripped and an axle removed. Thanks for looking, I'll update when I have the chassis complete.

045_zps7f214658.jpg

I was just thinking the same thing......This is a great engine.....

I've tried my hand at this type of conversion, myself.....Mine came out ok, but it was a first attempt.....Used a Revell snap Pete for it....Not as detailed as I could have made it, but I was working on selling my late Mother's house at the time......The thread is in the "Under Glass" section....It's currently on page 11 under Pete 359 Toter Home with Funny Car, if you want to look....I won't hijack your thread.... :D You might find it interesting.....

I'll, totally, be following this one.....Got a great start, already.....I want to build another one, soon....

Edited by kilrathy10

• 1 month later...

Chassis complete. Frame extended, and I wouln't say the Series 60 just dropped in, some modification was needed for the radiator hoses, etc. Not sure of how I want to do the fuel tank(s) under the cab - exposed with steps or a single one under a shortened aero skirt as originally planned and built so far. If I do a pair without skirts, I'll have to get some aluminum ones. I can't stand the kit ones with seams. Cab and hood work is coming along, I'll update when that is complete and on the chassis. I'll also switch out the tires when I get some more aftermarket drives and steers.

aeromaxchassis005_zpse633939d.jpgaeromaxchassis003_zps60ad3517.jpg

Questions... did you use the front or rear position for the drive axle, and is all the frame extension behind the drive axle ?

Thanks

I removed the forward rear axle, but I used the differential from that axle on the rear, filling the driveshaft hole on the back.

Yes, the frame extention is only on the back, so I didn't have to cut the original frame to add a scale 24' motorhome box behind the cab.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

• 9 months later...

That is one cool build. Never thought of using a Ford for this, you normally see Freightliners. Good idea

Yeah, Freightliners and Volvos are more common, but I have tracked down a couple photos of Fords, even a Aeromax 120 being used. If it is a custom job, which most conversions are, anything goes. Some manufactures will only build on particular new chassis trucks, but others will convert anything, and I think it is neat when a retired truck is given a new life. Especially, one with style. For me, I had a partially built glue bomb Revell kit, so I thought I'd use that for the build. Kind of like giving an old truck new life.

hay cary...   are you going to use the box for it i sent you??  oldr-n-drt

Not for this particular build, as it is a single axle. The axle spread and wheel opening size fits the Revell snap Peterbilt well with a small frame stretch, so I'm planning on using it for that or maybe the snap Kenworth. We'll see. I have a snap Peterbilt on the bench right now too. Thanks again for the parts, that was very kind of you.

I appreciate everyone's compliments, Thanks.

• 4 years later...

Old projects never die, right? I’m back at this one and it’s going well.

I have the coach body roughed in, and most of the major components in place. There’s a lot of filling and sanding to do, along with the lower panels and bay doors. Then it’s off to the detail shop, adding all of the vents, awnings, drip rails, windows, rivets, etc.

17886EED-19EB-4E26-A96E-C0B51923849F.thumb.jpeg.b9024a466c3b5fa1ac45e8bf05b75f5f.jpeg7E5ABABC-34D3-4707-A74A-C3AFF7F45739.thumb.jpeg.d9b8d5e4f1177a53fa38f8e2dbb9a8d8.jpegF245515A-D083-41CE-B29E-71764FA2F672.thumb.jpeg.eabe42c5ebd22723449da44d5daa1e2d.jpeg1D01C10F-3613-43D2-A065-C665BAD3C820.thumb.jpeg.08734809c3409467a9830b4e5f83d9e3.jpegCBE4BD14-B061-4251-8FEE-AD7D709D4235.thumb.jpeg.55b19cb58109c41f9621808be31e6360.jpeg30A6CA9A-1F3B-44D4-A931-CEF3DC90B2B7.thumb.jpeg.528286c22c9867b4a635fc2878235f6b.jpegB8561979-75FD-4905-BEE7-6FA4C0F910EB.thumb.jpeg.12cec6dcb72fd644d04fea4ccc7fe4f8.jpeg

This is one outstanding piece of art in the making.... I look forward to more of this build... The biggest thing that makes it stand apart from just about every conversion I've ever built; the rounded edges and corners....

I'd love to get my hands on a bunch of half round styrene.... Where did you get that?? I can't find any of that stuff to save my life...