Model Cars Magazine Forum

No plastic 2014 Stingray kits? Could it be?

Why is a Corvette model done in metal any more ironic than the fact that 99% of the plastic car kits are models of metal cars?

Two reasons:

1) You yourself stated the most obvious one. The usual relation between the full-size and the miniature is that the full-size is metal and the miniature is plastic. For that very 1% you mention, the Corvette scenario not only deviates from that relationship, it inverts it, presenting an opposite one might view as ironic.

2) The second is conditional on accepting the premise that - as I stated in post #7 - one of the draws about die cast models is that they're made of materials roughly matching those of the subject (and in the case of the higher-end Mints, CMC and the like, perhaps not so roughly). Not only does a die cast Corvette model break that association, but your typical die cast Corvette body shell on a plastic chassis once again pretty neatly inverts it.

I have been building car models on and off since 1959 and I can only recall ever buying two Corvette kits, an Accurate Miniatures Grand Sport and a Revell 53/54 Corvette. No others. In 1:1 I almost bought a 69 427 4-speed and I was saved from buying a new 84 by the insurance costs. That has been the only two I ever drove. A guy at my last job bought a new Z06 in 2005 I think and asked me if I wanted to go for a ride and I said no, not interested.

Just not a Corvette guy. I must admit, I like the 63 split window and the new Sting Ray looks good. I'd still never buy one even if I won the lottery.

I've built a couple more than you over the years- maybe 4 or 5 more- and I think the '67s and '57's are pretty neat, but otherwise... Nah, no thanks. The mark has been around since '53- that's 61 model years- and they still don't have "America's Sports Car" down pat.

• 3 weeks later...

The only corvette model I have is a 1970 from mark orr aka disabled modeler simply because I promised my mom oid get her a vette before she died thanks again mark but I know I'll never buy one simple because they don't do anything for me that being said I hnope you guys that want one get one soooooooon

I have at least one of every year Vette from 53 - 2013. Some are proms, some metal and some plastic. If they don't do a 14, I will be terribly disappointed. Myself, I don't care if its metal or plastic, as long as its accurate.

I love the new Corvette. And I love Corvette plastic promo models. So I need one of each. A 2014 Corvette coupe. And a 2014 Corvette convertible. This is the first Corvette without chrome bumpers that I really, really like. Chevrolet did a great job on this car and their present generation Camaros.

Scott Aho

Revell indicated a couple of months back that they have yet to get detail specs on the Corvette. Without them, a glue kit is real tough. The HANG UP was GM and they, Revell, were not happy given that they had paid the licensing fees.

I don't think you can really blame GM for the absence of a C7 Corvette kit from Revell. If they paid licensing fees and have a green light to produce a kit, they really don't need 'detail specs' from GM.

If Revell really wanted to get the kit on the market, they could borrow or rent a C7 and do their measuring and photographing just like they do with out-of-production vehicles. Or, a real car guy at Revell could buy a C7 to use for the kit engineering . . . and write it off.

There's more than one way to skin the cat.

Well, when they measure and research for a full-detail kit, they have to take the driveline out, so I doubt they could do that with a rental.

I'd bet the farm we'll see the 2014 Corvette before too long, probably snap-kits and/or Showroom Replica promos before the end of the year or early 2015 followed by full-detail kits soon after.

Well, when they measure and research for a full-detail kit, they have to take the driveline out, so I doubt they could do that with a rental.

I'd bet the farm we'll see the 2014 Corvette before too long, probably snap-kits and/or Showroom Replica promos before the end of the year or early 2015 followed by full-detail kits soon after.

Oh, there's that. ^_^

LOL. You should see what some rather well-known racing families and teams have been known to do with rental cars when it comes to practice for off-road events! :o Some rather famous names appear on 'no-rent' lists.

I briefly owned a C4, a 1993 with the LT 1 engine and despised the thing. The then wife wanted it but couldn't drive it, she scared herself. I didn't think it was all that bad a&& myself.

I haven't even looked at one until the 2014 came out.

G

I briefly owned a C4, a 1993 with the LT 1 engine and despised the thing. The then wife wanted it but couldn't drive it, she scared herself. I didn't think it was all that bad a&& myself.

I haven't even looked at one until the 2014 came out.

G

I have a C3 78 Silver Anniversary L82. I also had a C4 85 4+3 (Manual) that would pull away from Buick Gran Sport @ 100+ MPH in 3rd gear. It was a very fast car. It was the 1st year for the Tuned Port Injection.

Edited by Len Woodruff

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the maisto 1/18 diecast and it is pretty nice. Will modify it a little to match the development vehicle I posted pics of. Never been a fan of the real cars until this C7. Most comfortable car I have ever driven - feels and sticks like it's 1000 lbs lighter than the C6 and all others. The diecast will have to do for now - but this car needs to be kitted. Everything else in it's class costs at least 50% more, and as a daily driver I get 28 - 30 mpg every tank with it ( only do a couple way more than needed accels a day though ).

• 4 weeks later...

So, I was at my LHS yesterday afternoon discussing some of the upcoming releases, and got what I hope is an inaccurate update on 2014 Stingray models. According to what he has been told, GM has given licensing for 2014 Stingray replicas to a manufacturer of only diecast vehicles. Has anybody else heard anything of the like?
I did see something the other day about Bob's listing 2014 promos, but did not mention manufacturer or media...
I am ok with diecast, but plastic is certainly my poison of choice....

A couple of things here: For starters, I'm not at all sure that your hobby shop's owner is truly privy to such inside information--issues such as this one are not often (if ever) mentioned outside model (or diecast) manufacturer's offices, until such time as something definite has been finalized.

Second, and I suggest more important: GM has a reputation in the model and toy industry of being very particular, to the point of being rather demanding of model and toy companies that miniatures (or model kits) of GM cars are accurately done, and in the case of any Corvette--that is one of General Motors absolute "signature" cars--they get even more picky with a new model kit of any Vette.

I'm willing to bet (even though I have no inside information whatsoever as to any such kit in the planning) that there will be a plastic promo of the C7 Corvette, and more than likely a model kit of it as well--it could well be in development as I write this, just not yet announced even to the hobby industry.

Art

Want a promo of both the coupe and convertible when they show up. I'm always more interested in promos rather than kits when it comes to new Corvettes. I have been that way since the 84's came out. I have promos of Vettes before '84. But, building kits of post '82 Vettes just doesn't do it for me. And I don't know why? I love the new 2014 Corvettes. And I'm waiting for the promos.

Scott Aho

If the Raptor Snap is any indication, they'll be out in '17. Get'em when they're hot.

Box art will be NEW '14 Corvette.

C7-R should be ready 10 months later.

Had my Maisto 1/24 convertible about 7 months now.

Glad GM is particular, someone needs to be.

To go back to the original question.

When I first received my email from Bob's Promotional cars regarding the C7 Corvettes I asked him if they were plastic and in a return message, but without giving any further details he confirmed that they were. I quess we'll have to wait and see but his web site continues to say that they will be available by early fall.

I've built a couple more than you over the years- maybe 4 or 5 more- and I think the '67s and '57's are pretty neat, but otherwise... Nah, no thanks. The mark has been around since '53- that's 61 model years- and they still don't have "America's Sports Car" down pat.

So, in your opinion, what would be an "American Sports Car" be like...or what would it have that the Corvettes do not? That seems to be an ethereal thing. American Sports cars ran the gamut from Mercer Raceabouts and Stutz Bearcats to Kaiser Darrins to 55,56,57 T-Birds to Muntz Jets to AMC AMXs. Might even consider an Excalibur a sports car if bought in the two seater configuration. How about a Studebaker Avanti?

Edited by lordairgtar

So, in your opinion, what would be an "American Sports Car" be like...or what would it have that the Corvettes do not? That seems to be an ethereal thing. American Sports cars ran the gamut from Mercer Raceabouts and Stutz Bearcats to Kaiser Darrins to 55,56,57 T-Birds to Muntz Jets to AMC AMXs. Might even consider an Excalibur a sports car if bought in the two seater configuration. How about a Studebaker Avanti?

Avanti seats four. More of a GT than a sports car.

Scott