Model Cars Magazine Forum

Magic Muffler Fiat - Awful Awful/Fuel Altered

curt raitz

I too, would like to build this car. If you could get your friend to print up decals, lmk, I'd buy a set or 2. Beautiful job, btw. The picture, from teh other angle is an iconic photo, that has always been etched into my mind, since the 1st time I saw it.

post-15530-0-10298000-1429800268_thumb.pHello all ….

I have recently joined your club and happy to be here. Looking forward to building and adding

pics of my drag cars etc. I try to build them about as 99% accurate as possible to the orig.

I am the owner the "Magic Muffler" Fiat Blown Fuel Altered and happy to see it built here and the interest it creates.

Mentioned in the magazine and this thread was how the crank and pistons blew out the bottom. To clarify >>>>>

Elapsed times got it all wrong here and Rod actually gave them the wrong story. I corrected their

mistakes for the article as I worked with Cole who wrote it. He made many mistakes actually. They

said they would correct all the mistakes before it went to the newsstand but they never did.

>> The bottom end blew out because -- there was a crack in the front of the block going from the

front main up to the cam. Jim saw this when he tore the engine down in the pits after a run.

He needed 2 more runs in for the day and figured it might make it through the next 2 rounds without any problems.

Of course what happened next sealed it in the history books forever!

There were 5 pistons and rods that came out that night. Jim was standing about 10 ft behind the car

when it let go. That motor was actually put back together and was running in another car that next weekend.

I'm not sure exactly what they did to it as I never asked Jim the specifics of the re-build.

I'm not sure why Rod Hynes ( a friend of mine ) mentioned the bottom end wasn't torqued down due to brain fade!!

It was all because of the crack in the from of the motor. There you have it!

Also …. I would love to have some decals too as I started on the build 10 yrs ago. Any decals out there?

Thank you

Bill Corbett

• 1 month later...

Hi Curt, nice work on a real cool car. I really like these outrageous cars, and I'm happy you show your model. Good stuff!

Also, again I have to write how cool this forum is. We have former pilots and owners of these cars here, and Bill Corbett comes out as the present owner of a drag racing icon! Plus he builds models. Now how good is that?

Fantastic stuff!

Michael

Curt, I am really impressed!!!! That is a great looking model....super detail on the chassis and engine, and with all of the scratch building you did, it is over the top......really nice little car. You packed more detail into a small package then most get in a 1/12 build.......really great job!

• 7 years later...