Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 5 best GM designs

OK, well let's go with the most glaring figures. Solstice total US sales = 114,773 (production discontinued due to poor sales). Miata total US sales = nearing 500,000, with over 1,000,000 sold world wide. It's still being produced and sold and going into it's 4th redesign. It's the largest selling 2 seat roadster in world history.

I don't see how sales figures prove the Miata is better... The air cooled Beetle was the best-selling car in history, and there were better alternatives available the whole time it was being produced.

But yes, the Miata is head and shoulders above the Solstice/Sky. B)

I don't see how sales figures prove the Miata is better... The air cooled Beetle was the best-selling car in history, and there were better alternatives available the whole time it was being produced.

But yes, the Miata is head and shoulders above the Solstice/Sky. B)

IIRC, the magazine reviews put the Miata ahead of the Solstice/Sky in comparisons...the Miata has always been a great driving little sports car.

Miata and beetle, apples and oranges. They were designed and marketed to entirely different demographics.

The Riv...maybe. But, I don't agree with the year. I think it's the '65(?)...the year the headlights were moved out to the outside and had the clamshell hide-aways. That was pretty cool. The rest of the list...no.

The headlights in Roadhouse with Patrick Swayze and Sam Elliot...yeah that was coolest. And not that either belong on the list but, I think the Saturn Sky was far cooler than the Pontiac Solstice. Yeah, I know, same car.

My own top five for GM styling:

1. 1963-'65 Buick Riviera

2. 1963-'67 Corvette

3. 1955-'57 Chevy Nomad/Pontiac Safari

4. 1940 LaSalle

5. Pontiac Solstice (I think it's a great-looking car, frankly one of the nicest cars style-wise GM's made in recent time.)

The First-generation Toro goes in the top 10, definitely, and I'd twin it with the 1967-'68 Eldorado.

As far as trucks go, I do like the 1955-59 Chevy/GMC. I'd have to really study the trucks a little more though to come out with some ideas.

Charlie Larkin

Miata and beetle, apples and oranges. They were designed and marketed to entirely different demographics.

Absolutely. Just saying that huge sales don't always equal a better product. That goes for roadsters and econoblobs- most roadsters are purchased more to make a statement, or just because the owner wants a 'fun' car, than for their capabilites. B) And again- I wholeheartedly agree the Miata is tops in its department- it also happens to be the sales leader. I drove quite a few Solstices when they were new, but when I went for a drive in a customer's ten-year-old Miata I was blown away by how much better it was than the Solstice. It didn't even have any squeaks or rattles, and the new Solstices were already making junky noises! Looks a lot better too in my opinion, though I'll admit I like the first-generation Miata over the later designs. The Solstice just looks like a flabby jelly bean with a split honeycomb grille to me. The Miata/MX-5 might be one of the rare instances where a car is the best seller in its category because it's the best at what it does.

'71 Chevrolet Vega GT:

1973-chevrolet-vega-GT-front-three-quarters.jpg

Casey makes a very good point. The Vega definitely got a bum rap for it's supposed reliability problems, brought on by owners who didn't maintain their cars properly, but why shouldn't the pretty little Vega be considered for this list. We're going strictly by appearance here, and to heck with the car's unfounded bad reputation!

I know the owner of this particular 1973 "Millionth Vega" and had the pleasure of riding in it last summer at the Maple Grove Super Chevy Show (where it won "Best In Class" and an "Editor's Choice" award). It was like a brand new 38 year old car, with fewer than 8,000 ORIGINAL miles on it. It's completely original and unrestored. Take a good look at this car's lines. It is a seriously good looking little machine, easily head and shoulders better than it's compact competition from the early 1970's like the Pinto, Gremlin, Corolla, B-210, etc. The Vega has sporty, aggressive styling while it's competition looks, well, economical.

As the header on the photo says, this shot ran in "Motor Trend Classic" magazine, where the car participated in a three-car shootout of early 1970's American compacts a couple of years ago. The Vega aced just about every facet of the competition: The Gremlin eked out a slight win in acceleration, but the Vega took ride, handling (on it's original 38 year old tires, no less!), interior room and overall comfort, not to mention the purely subjective styling element.

OK, well let's go with the most glaring figures. Solstice total US sales = 114,773 (production discontinued due to poor sales). Miata total US sales = nearing 500,000, with over 1,000,000 sold world wide. It's still being produced and sold and going into it's 4th redesign. It's the largest selling 2 seat roadster in world history.

Here's the glaring figure I look at: MY glaring figure!!! I don't fit into any Miata ever made! My 34" inseam legs and 40" waist are big for me to fit into it and still drive it safely (I have the same trouble with Triumph Spitfires, MG Midgets, A-H Sprites, and Fiat Spiders and X1/9's... and stick shift Chevettes!). The Solstice, on the other hand, has plenty of room for me. It will also out-accelerate and out-handle any stock Miata. As for being discontinued due to poor sales, it was discontinued due to G.M. closing down Pontiac Division. Now let's check your numbers for a second - Pontiac sold 114,773 Solstices in two (or was it three - I don't recall for sure) years. Then add in the Saturn Skys that were the same car under the skin. Meanwhile, Mazda only soild 500,000 Miatas here in over 20 years. The Solstice handily outsold the Miata on the basis of an average year's sales. That's like Ford's claim that the F-Series is the best-selling pickup. True if you don't combine the identical Chevrolets and GMCs. Do that and the Ford has NEVER outsold the G.M. twins.

Tom, I don't have a problem with you liking your Miatas. My wife wants one of her own. I even built a Miata model to her specifications back in the early 1990's, while we were still dating. And I'm not saying it's a bad car. It's just that from everything I've seen read, and heard from people who have driven both, the Solstice is the better car... But I gotta say, the Miata from any generation is the better looking car!

The Vega definitely got a bum rap for it's supposed reliability problems, brought on by owners who didn't maintain their cars properly, but why shouldn't the pretty little Vega be considered for this list. We're going strictly by appearance here, and to heck with the car's unfounded bad reputation!

Well, to be fair, the cast iron head on and unsleeved aluminum engine block, coupled with undersized radiators were the Vega/Astres biggest problems. Yes, people didn't check the coolant level regularly, but the engineering just wasn't quite right yet in '71 with the head/block combo. The whole John Delorean factor also plays into the car's mythology, and was pretty much his downfall at GM, but it's a gorgeous design in my eyes, and the Pontiac Astre GT even better. Canadians always get the good stuff! :D

1973_Pontiac_Astre_GT.jpg

I agree with the article about the riv.In my eye a 67 vette is nicer than a 63.Now add a 55 bel air,64 chevelle,and a 68 nova.Thats my top 5.

Too bad the article didnt include fords and dodges,to me the '62 and 63 galixies were the nicesest of them all of the entire decade

It depends on how far back you want to go, but if the cutoff is 1960s or newer, I think the 65-66-67 Impala belongs on the list. And I'd take the '68 vette over the '63.

Harry I was going to say almost the same thing. However I think the 63 and the 68 should be on the list. Both game changers IMHO. The Solstice ? I mean yeah its a cool little car, that's for sure, but one of GM's best designs ? hmm... I liked the Sky a lot better...same girl - different dress.

I also think the most recent Caddy STS/CTS is a pretty slick car.

I guess with only 5 to choose from its definitely subjective.

Here's my top 5. I like the looks of the '65 Riviera a lot better- the hidden lights clean up the front of the car nicely. The '66 Toro is a given- Bill Mitchell's homage to the '36 Cord. '75 Monza fastback- the Vega goes uptown. With a V8, they were also quick. The 1936 LaSalle (for those of you with longer memories) saved the marque for another few years and was art deco gorgeous. Everybody slams the Corvair, but the second generation ('65-'69) is well nigh perfect from any angle (as an aside, only in America can a trial lawyer who doesn't hold a driver's license or ever owned a car be considered an automotive 'expert'). Honorable mention- the entire '65 range of B and C bodies, '40 Cadillac Sixty Special, '57 Eldorado Brougham, '53 Skylark and the '68 A body range.