Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can we see some scratchbuilt things?

mopar68

I just realized this is going on and I am completely blown away!!! I have never seen stuff like this before and it is all sooooo realistic. I can't hold a candle to you all, but as a gesture - just to make you all look a little better (like you need it!), here are a couple of mine:

Speedster - scratched body, interior, most of the engine and the suspension.

altered roadster frame and front suspension.

Someday, when I grow up I want to be able to do nice stuff like you guys!

post-12703-0-42165200-1389313545_thumb.j

post-12703-0-84948000-1389313614_thumb.j

post-12703-0-59242900-1389313710_thumb.j

post-12703-0-33815100-1389313819_thumb.j

post-12703-0-65564600-1389313839_thumb.j

I'll throw a curve ball here…… :P

How about a scratch-built paint stand? I recently made a stand that was too big for my booth, so I was on the look-out for "something" I could make a smaller & sturdier one from. Them I spotted my new stand.

This is the spare tire hold-down from a late model Infiniti, but that was what I had access to to. I cut-down the stud that would normally secure the tire to the floorpan and reverse the metal "washer" and bolted it on the end. For the tension arms that actually hold the body, I used the spring steel found in a set of windshield wiper inserts. I cut two into a U shape and epoxied them into the plastic "knob" on the stud. For the arm I grabbed a small cable clamp and a piece of scrap metal bar.

Check it out…… B)

post-222-0-77330800-1389824726_thumb.jpg

post-222-0-10919700-1389824748_thumb.jpg

post-222-0-21089300-1389824767_thumb.jpg

This is what happens when I get bored during my lunch break at work…….. ;)

After I posted I was looking at it and was thinking I should add holes around the perimeter. This way I can insert rods with alligator clips on the ends so I can paint small parts when not shooting a body. Hmm….

Edited by FASTBACK340

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here are some things I have scratch built:

The barrel valve on this pro-mod motor:

DSCF1381-vi.jpg

This roll cage is around 75% scratch built:

Picture008-vi.jpg

These door panels are a combination of scratch building and kit bashing:

Picture104-vi.jpg

The body on this wagon has A LOT of scratch building on it, plus pieces of 6 different bodies were used to make the body itself.

Picture110-vi.jpg

Ron... That wagon is AWESOME...!

Here's a recently finished build.

DioCloseUp1_zpsy5q8jxsb.jpg

OK, That's a SnapShot of late '50's early '60's California "Camping". The only thing missing is the Tent for the Kids! While our Family was 1 Tent For All, those Tear Drop Trailers seemed to be everywhere from Big Bear to the Rouge River in Oregon.

I just realized this is going on and I am completely blown away!!! I have never seen stuff like this before and it is all sooooo realistic. I can't hold a candle to you all, but as a gesture - just to make you all look a little better (like you need it!), here are a couple of mine:

Speedster - scratched body, interior, most of the engine and the suspension.

altered roadster frame and front suspension.

Someday, when I grow up I want to be able to do nice stuff like you guys!

Your stuff is pretty good. The speedster is quite nice. I'd like to see a in-progress build of the altered.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys make me feel like an amateur. Here is some of my stuff.CAM00222.thumb.jpg.eeb9bf29971e5566f8d15

The trailer carries four cars, and the car on the bottom will ride on a platform that slides out. The tongue will lift to allow it to move. I also have to mod the main ramp, to allow one section to lift, because the angle on the top is too sharp to allow a car to drive over it.

CAM00217.thumb.jpg.8517961926c6e9c7fbdc0

Here is the tongue, and the platform. 

IMAG0112.thumb.jpg.1565a7c3108e717e69ac1

Here is the start of the chassis for a drag week corvette. I have struggled with the engine trans combo, and still havent found one I like. I started the turbos, and they look ok to me (they are not finished in this picture), but I also made an F3 procharger, that could be installed as a direct drive unit. Im also not happy with the chassis, and might start over. 

IMAG0107.thumb.jpg.7f56888a9bfb78d982116

Here is the corvette and trailer. I threw this trailer together in about 45 minutes, so It is crooked, and unfinished. Ill fix it before Im finished. I want to finish the vette first.

Im working on my scratchbuilding. Im getting better, If I can keep interested. I think Im going to work on some motorcycles I recently bought, just so I can complete something. I wont modify them.....as much.

Edited by drummerdad
add information.

Some of the things I've scratched on my Neikamp roadster project.  Here's the front axle and spring I built from various bits of Evergreen strip and rod:

frontaxle.jpg

One of the spindles::

spindle.jpg

And here's the front suspension painted and installed in the scratchbuilt frame:

Roadsterfrontaxle.jpg

Master for the brake backing plates:

Frontbrake1.jpg

I wanted to build it the way it looked when Hot Rod did an article on it in 1950,  and since nobody makes '49 Plymouth instruments in 1/25, I made some in Abodbe Illustrator, and had them printed on a sheet of plastic.  The instrument bezels at aluminum tubing

Instruments2.jpg

So many great things in the thread, makes a guy of my skill level go "who the hell was I trying to fool!"

I have posted this in other forums but prior to getting back into this hobby again I was heavily involved in diecast collecting and reviewing 1/24th scale diecast.  After an unpaid 3-year stint for The Car Room Magazine, I took a serious look at the hobby and created this diorama.  It has a whole 4 page background story to it but the bottom line is that the dumpster is filled with items from different companies that were a part of the diecast industry/hobby that once had a dream before going out of business. Hence the name of the diorama..."Broken Dreams"

Not everything is scratch built but the 1/12th scale dumpster, decals on the dumpster, diecast boxes and the Magazines are photo-reduced to 1/12th scale included in the trash are. 

Broken Dreams 1.jpg

Broken Dreams 2.jpg

Broken Dreams 4.jpg

Broken Dreams 7.jpg

Broken Dreams 8.jpg

Broken Dreams 9.jpg

Broken Dreams 10.jpg

Broken Dreams 11.jpg

Broken Dreams 12.jpg

Edited by BDSchindler

• 1 month later...