Model Cars Magazine Forum

34 Ford Rods ?

Rick Schmidt

I wanna see yalls 34s I have an Amt 34 5 window street rod. I'm fond of the fenderless channeled look on my rods but am kinda stuck on this 34. I got the body channeled down some my go lower. where I'm having an issue is the Grille. I want to keep the 34 grille. I could take the easy way out and run 32 grille but that is no fun and not the look I want with a 34. Only way I can see this 34 grille working is with the hood top and sides but the shape of the sides clash with the frame shape. Can I get some pics of your 34s fenderless and channeled with or without the hood. Must have the 34 grille lol if ya have a hoodless setup could I get a pic of how the grille and radiator is setup ?

Here are 3 views of a Revell 34. Note how the splash aprons form a transition from the frame rails to the hood sides. I checked the AMT 34 instructions and it includes these parts plus a radiator splash apron that would make the front end look more finished.

photo2-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

Here's an AMT based '34 Coupe I finished a couple of years ago. It has been channeled, '32 grill with custom insert and re-worked hood with '36 Ford louvers. Also has a rear rolled pan created from the gas tank cover portion of the fenders. Painted Testors 1-coat Rootbeer. I was going for an early 60's Rod & Custom Magazine look.

IMG_7920.jpg

IMG_7922.jpg

IMG_7923.jpg

Here is one of my favorites, based on a yellow full size one I've seen. I looked again for the yellow one online with no luck. The full size one had widened rear fenders, wider rear tires, the running boards were a little more graceful than mine, and sat lower.

This is the Revell SnapFast kit; I used both chassis for this car. I cut the fendered one to where the running boards ended (using the rear part) and the highboy one for the front. I bobbed the rear fenders and rolled the rear pan. The front fenders are Prowler fenders. The rest of the kit is box stock, except for the slightly lowered front end, and the upside down radius arms.

P9110018.JPG

Edited by SSNJim