Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '57 Ford Fairlane Hardtop

JamesW

The AMT kit is very nice after some patience. The body line on the top of the front fender needs work because that was where the mold separation was. I usually sand it down and use half round styrene to replace it.

The Revell looks okay to me, but I have not tackled the body inaccuracies yet.

Edited by Sledsel

In the late '60s early '70s, the AMT 57 Ford lost the Styline custom parts. I'm not sure anybody really cares about that stuff anymore. I can't remember if the chrome suspension parts are gone too?

Comparing the AMT versus the Revell isn't a fair comparison. It depends on what car you want to build. The AMT Ford Fairlane is a bigger car compared to the Revell Ford Custom. You can't kitbash a Revell 57 Ford into a convertible, or kitbash an AMT 57 Ford into a wagon or Ranchero.......easily anyway.

The suspension parts aren't plated any more. The change took place in the early Nineties, when the optional parts were updated (more modern seats, billet engine accessories). Besides the stock version, only a handful of parts remain from the original issue. The body in recent issue kits is straighter than most though. A lot of these bodies have the sides pulled out a bit (maybe pulling them out of the tool too fast) which affects door fit.

The only thing I really hate about the AMT kit is the molded-in exhaust system. To get rid of the molded-exhaust on this gasser, I elected to remove most of the floor and start fresh. Otherwise, it's still one of my favorites.

DSCN9332.jpg

It is somewhat difficult to get the doors to fit exactly flush with the body...especially without buggering the signature side trim (I haven't even begun to fit the doors here yet).

DSCN6072.jpg

• Like 1

attachicon.gif57 FORD FAIRLANE 500.jpg

Is this kit from the 60s or 80s, and if you built it, what did you think of it?

thats the one i built:

CIMG150504_051.jpg

The AMT kit is very nice after some patience. The body line on the top of the front fender needs work because that was where the mold separation was. I usually sand it down and use half round styrene to replace it.

The Revell looks okay to me, but I have not tackled the body inaccuracies yet.

I agree. some Patience and it Comes out very well. i removed the (terrible) body line also, thought, it is a mold line.

i was fascinated from the amt kit so i bought some more to build.

love it more than the revell but also i think, its a good one for a sleeper and to mix parts. more detailed it is.

Edited by Dominik

I built one back in the... late '70s, with no problems. Maybe the doors weren't a perfect fit, but I wasn't too fussy particular at that time, and the finished model looked great on my shelf. I currently have one of the green&white kits in my stash, with some modifications in mind, and the use of magnets to keep the doors from flopping around. Like the majority of kits, it can be improved by those who choose to do so; left as is, it still looks good when complete. Ironically, I had been hoping for an all-new '57 Ford for years, to get a better chassis, etc. Now that one is available, I still bought the vintage kit, probably because I prefer the body style- maybe for nostalgia, too.

I've always like the '57 Ford much better than the '57 Chev. Even though I'm mainly a General Motors guy. The '57 Chevy is okay, especially the Nomad. But, the '57 Ford looked stunning in just about every model and body style. It even out sold the Chevrolet in 1957. I can understand why.

Scott

Funnily enough, a few petrolheads and I recently had the following discussion after a few G&Ts:

Imagine you are in small town America in 1957 and you are in the market for one of the low priced three.

What would you buy? The 1957 Chevy, Ford, or Plymouth?

My answer was the 1937 Packard V12 Roadster and a holiday in California for the change, of course.

But honestly, it would be the Fairlane 500 for me. Always liked it.

And that AMT kit is bloody ace.

• 6 years later...
On 6/8/2015 at 9:21 PM, 62rebel said:

before AMT "updated" it, it was a really great kit full of optional parts and loaded with chrome.

When exactly were the original Edsel(?) style boomerang chrome-plated tail light bezels eliminated? They were still present in the "Shifty Seven" release from 1968(?):

AMT57FairlaneShiftySeven.jpg.8c1db288eaedc46a2d608e651be1e31c.jpg

The custom tail light bezels in question:

AMT57Fairlane500TS10tls.jpg.f93f802e750b929255cbe35e9e191726.jpg

Edited by Casey

The Shifty Seven is the last issue with all of those neat Stylizing parts, including those Edsel taillights.  Next up was the original Flashback issue, which eliminated those parts but added drag version parts, including a set of injectors that aren't correct for the Y-block engine.  (The paired tubes need to be "clocked" 90 degrees.)  The Round 2 redux Flashback issue has some of the Stylizing items back (vertical quad headlamp pods) but not the Edsel taillight pieces.  The injector tubes for the drag version are in the space on the parts tree where the taillight bezels used to be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1