Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Novacaine Funny Car?

kalbert

I found an unbuilt Novacaine at the goodwill a few years back for $1. The body is the same as the amt old pro nova, accept it had front fenders with the wheels pushed forward (note the nova in molded with separate front fenders) and the funny car chassis.The molds must still be around since the stock nova was released not long ago.

Its my holy grail and you found an unbuilt one for $1!?!!!

It sounds promising that it could be reissued. The last Old Pro I got still had separate front clip parts, and I'm sure it shared a chassis with other things. I wonder why it hasn't been repopped?

I bought both the Novacaine and the Old Pro. The bodies are exactly the same except front fenders. Novacaine front wheel openings further forward.

Early editions of the Old Pro include the funnycar glass.

The question we should ask is; where are the Ventura II parts since it is the same kit too.

If they came out with that again, I'd prolly buy one, but truth to tell we don't need it. There are aftermarket true FC Nova bodies available, as well as the Revell '69 Nova. It's not difficult to get a '69-'72 Nova funny together for anyone who wants one.

• 2 months later...

It appears the "El Toro" Ford Torino and "Nitro Charger" '71-ish Dodge Charger funny cars shared the chassis and suspension with the Novacaine kit. Were there any other siblings to these three?

I have an old Mustang funny car that looks like the same chassis. It's an old built up, so I have no clue of what kit the Mustang was originally, not even sure if it was AMT.

BTW, it looks like snow tires on the front of that Torino funny car :lol: .

There were four funny car kits that shared this chassis - Nitro Charger '71 Charger, El Toro '70/'71 Torino, Novacaine, and the FunnyHugger II, which was the old AMT '69 Camaro Funny Car body (the one with the horribly radiused rear wheel wells) wherein the original Logghe chassis replaced with this new digger style chassis instead. This last version was reissued a few years back by The Model King. I am not aware of any other kits using this chassis.

AMT released yet another, all-new funny car chassis about 2-4 years later, and that underpinned a whole series of funny car kits, with the first one out of the gate being a Ford Mustang II fastback body.

A few years ago I built up the Nitro Charger version, using a discarded / damaged Nitro Charger body and engine along with the FunnyHugger II Model King Chassis. It's quite a well detailed chassis, by the way, but the layout and assembly of the interior paneling is not well described in the instructions. It does go together, and fits fine, but you'll need to experiment to figure out the assembly procedure.

Each kit version has its own engine - I liked the NitroCharger when it first came out (circa 1971 or 72) because it was the first kit to include the Hampton style blower (instead of the usual 6-71 blower).

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

• 3 years later...
On 1/17/2015 at 1:33 PM, tim boyd said:

There were four funny car kits that shared this chassis - Nitro Charger '71 Charger

ad5d6fbc-d144-4f2e-8752-7e52c50b58df.jpg

El Toro '70/'71 Torino

c74f88fe-9696-476c-9e44-dfd45e398861.jpg

Novacaine

f9914883-146a-4a3d-b9ac-ed87b2f0b085.jpg

and the FunnyHugger II

amtfunnyhuggerII.jpg

amtcamarofc.jpg

• 2 years later...