First off, this is NOT a competition with the 68 Hemi Dart that Quick GMC has posted. I even hesitated on doing this posting. The GTR Auto Modelers theme for 2015 is 100 years of Dodge, hence any Dodge. I am not exactly a MOPAR aficionado, and only had two Dodge products in my stash of over 800 unbuilt models. I chose the Hemi Dart to do to support the theme.
I did some research on the Dart (something I do on every model I build) and came up with a project. I elected to build the race car as delivered in the kit, using the supplied decals. As we are also trying to get our ready to sell our house, I’ve scaled back the detail level.
I assembled some aftermarket parts for the build. They are the Detail Master hood pin set, Replicas and Miniatures Dodge Dart grill shell, the Model Car Garage Dodge Dart detail set and the Competition Resins seat set.
I started with the body and scribed the door and trunk panel lines as well as the windshield valence grill (a lot of times primer and a couple of coats of paint almost bury this detail). I ground off the molded GTS emblems on the side and trunk as well as the front side marker lights. The Hemi Darts have fiberglass front fenders which did not have marker lights.
In the engine bay I added blocking on the firewall and drilled out for the hood pins that will be applied later.
For the interior, I used my Dremel to level the radio and heater controls and used Evergreen Plastic strips to cover them as they were not included in the race car. The side panels also have door handles and rear armrest that needed to be removed. I drilled out the front handle area as the hole is in the door panel even though seat belt straps are used to raise and lower the special windows for the car (I will be adding those later). I used Photo-etch shapes to add the cover buttons on the rear side panels and left the dimple as it appears to be in the actual car.
For the engine, the Hemi in my kit has the uneven height cross ram. I cut that down and brought it level with the other side.
This model needs to be completed by our August NNL. Given where we’re at, there is a good chance we’ll still be around for that. If not, it is an interesting build and out of my comfort zone (like the VM Samba Woody I did). Updates to follow.
I was trying to get this built for the March 21 Ferrari Expo after my Dino 246 GTS body was accidentally damaged beyond repair by a workman. But, a case of the stomach flu and the aftermath kept me away from working on this for eight days. I am in the process of finishing up the subassemblies prior to putting it together.
The body has gotten its clear coat which needs polishing and then touch up to the engine bay, door sills and windshield.
The chassis and engine are pretty much done. I added limited wiring to the engine as most of it is buried under the air intake and shrouds.
I adapted KA Models PE brake set with resin calipers. To me, a big weakness in RoG modern models is the wheel/brake set up. Also, the SA Aperta kit has the 599 GTO brake covers, that the SA Aperta does not.
For wheels, I used a Hobby Design aftermarket set I liked along with Hobby Design tires. I added the turned aluminum valve stems and Ferrari logos.
For the interior, I opened up the vents and applied KA PE vent covers. I also added seat belts and created a set of floor mats.
I have created a US side marker lamp decal that I will use, since this is a US Spec car. I also will need to add the air bag warning stickers to the sun visors. A little bit of polishing and clean up needed before going on to final assembly.