Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Dodge Charger R/T?

I was just wondering, has there been any recent news about anyone coming out with a 1970 Dodge Charger? I know there have been rumors for the longest time that Revell would eventually do one, but I was just curious about if this had any basis in fact, or if it was just a dream come true. Does anyone close to Revell have anything to share? Because, quite personally, I'd like to have one to build a good R/T in sub-lime green with black interior and black vinyl top, powered with a 440 Six Pack. But that's just me. :)

1970_dodge_charger_rt_m.jpg

The '70 has always been my favorite too, but I don't think Revell is ever going to get around to making one, and who knows if Round2 still has the molds to MPC's '70 Charger. Unless you can find a remarkable steal on ebay, you'll probably have to go through the resin guys. Here's what i was able to find.

Modelhaus offers this:

1970 Dodge Charger RT

Price : $67.00 Includes two door hardtop body with open hood, hood, interior tub with separate bucket seats and console, dash, steering wheel, front bumper and grille, black grille insert, rear bumper, taillights, taillight bezel, hubcaps, gas cap, glass. Use 70 Coronet Super Bee kit or 69 GTX kit to finish

Time Machine Resin offers this:

1970 Dodge Charger RT

This kit includes the body, hood, grill, front and rear bumpers, interior bucket, correct high

back bucket seats, dash and rear tail light bezel. Use any AMT 1969 Charger kit to finish.

$40.00

The Modelhaus kit will probably have plated bumpers and may ship more quickly. The TMR kit's pictures show unplated bumpers, and the site tells you to allow about seven weeks for delivery.
HTH

I don't see Round2 doing any full detail kits. Sure would be nice if they did, but with all the tools they have from AMT, MPC, Lindberg, Polar lights they can repackage and re-release kits and make a nice living at it until they retire.

Though it wound be nice if someone else was popping out new kits.

Personally my favorite Charger its the 68, but a lot of folks dig the 70.

If Round2 could do a 1970 Charger, and do it right, I'd buy it. I mean go back to the drawing board, and start from scratch. Create a brand-new chassis and drive-train (440 with Torqueflite would be nice), create a new body and associated parts, and create a new interior with separate door-panels, etc. If they could do this, and stay away from the far-gone MPC junk of a Charger, I would justify paying money for it.

If Round2 could do a 1970 Charger, and do it right, I'd buy it. I mean go back to the drawing board, and start from scratch. Create a brand-new chassis and drive-train (440 with Torqueflite would be nice), create a new body and associated parts, and create a new interior with separate door-panels, etc. If they could do this, and stay away from the far-gone MPC junk of a Charger, I would justify paying money for it.

I don't think Round2 will be tooling up anything new anytime soon. (Correct me if I'm wrong here) If I understood their original plan, they were going to keep releasing old kits till they had enough money to take on new projects, but they still have the problem of finding something new to offer that would guarantee strong sales. The margins for error are pretty slim in the auto model world these days, and the majority of popular subjects has almost been exhausted, so... If I had to bet, I'd say they'll just continue cranking out old releases from all the molds they've acquired.

Maybe Moebius could take this on.

The MPC '70 Charger still exists; it just looks like a Duke's Charger now.

After the 1970 run, it was converted to a K&K Insurance NASCAR race car. That is why the first Duke's kits had Charger 500 roofs. The rest is history.

Now that Round2 has a new Duke's tool, they could try to restore the old Duke's to a 1970. I can't imagine it to be impossible.

I just saw where someone had mention that Revell has the chassis already. I would like to point something out here. I am in the process of correcting one of there charger chassis so that it be more correct. They have half a correct chassis is all. The trunk area is way incorrect, the trunk frame rails are not even correct even in how they are ran. There rails are more straight then what the real 1:1 rails are. The firewalls are also way way incorrect as well, more of a stright down where as the real charger firewalls has a few curves in them. If I had to pick AMT/MPC or Revell kit, I would go Revell hands down. Even though some of there kits might have incorrect stuff, at least there kits has a lot more detail then AMT/MPC does. I wouldn't even use a AMT/MPC charger kit to make a 1970 Charger, pressingly if you wanted a nice detailed one. I would go the Revell route. The Dukes kit of 1997, and the 2005 Dukes movie package are the same. It wasn't until they did the F&F Vins Charger was where they corrected the rear window, that was somewhere in around 2003ish. Yet it still came with a very incorrect grill, a 1969 grill as well, all the Dukes stuff was still there in the kit with a few extra added items to make the F&F Charger one. Then Round2 came out with the new tooled snaptite General Lee kit as a new charger kit, while that kit might be new, round2 still mess up on the very most recognize pieces of the car, they messed up the rims & did not at all correct that thing they call a push bar. While the kit is a kit I would buy, the rims troughs me a very bad curve ball. Those rims are not 10 spoke Vector rims at all. They don't even come close to them. I would used Round2 new General Lee kit to make a 1970 Charger, it's way better then the other two, even Revell has a nice 1968 & 1969 ones I would use.

I have everything to do a nice '70 Charger in my stash, my way. It's a hodgepodge of parts from different sources, but I think it would be stunning. I have some Panther Pink paint just for it.

I have the bumper and rear piece from a eBay deal in my parts box, but it's nothing but cheap resin re-pops of Modelhaus parts. Both are full of pinholes. I thought about trying to cobble something together with the front clip of a Daytona and the rear half of a '68, but gave up on it. It would take more work than what it's worth. I have a lead on a Missing Link '70 for the Revell kit, and if all goes well I'll be building me a EB5 Blue car with matching interior and a 440. :D #FingersCrossed

Edited by Mr. Moparman

To me, the 1970 Charger is the most beautiful of the 3 years.

For some reason, Revell put all their eggs in the 68/69 basket (because of the Drag cars?)

The fact that Missing Link stopped making resin copies indicates to me that there is no market for more, or enough business to make it worthwhile to continue.

I hope maybe someday Revell might do the '70.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it has been a while since I've been on here. Took me a while to remember my log in and password, even the computer had forgot...

Welcome back Brett,

back to the subject, blew up the photo this morning to look at the body and the fenders look '68-69 to me.