Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can't seem to get my motor going...!

Since I returned home on Memorial Day weekend from my NNL East trip and my stay in NC, I just can't seem to get my model building motor going...

I've got plenty of new stuff to work on - Modelhaus '56 Cadillac kit

- " '56 Dodge kit

- " '56 Mercury kit

- M.A.D.'s chopped '50 Olds body to use with the Revell '50 Olds Custom kit

- Moebius' '54 Hudson Club Coupe kit - - along with the '52 & '53 Hudson kits which are already in my stash

- Moebius' '56 Chrysler "Tim Flock" kit to use for building a surprise 30th Anniversary NNL East Theme Car for next year's show

Plus I've still got loads of other 1950's kits and promos in my TO DO pile...

I also picked up some great EBAY scores to fill in the "holes" in my '50's collection - 1950 Chevrolet 1/24 diecast

- 1953 Packard 1/26 diecast

- 1956 Nash Metropolitan 1/24 diecast

- 1957 Cadillac 1/24 diecast

- 1957 Plymouth Fury 1/24 diecast

Everything is put away where it fits in, all the paints that I stocked up on are in their place, and all of the aftermarket parts I got are in their respective, labeled slots...

Now if I could just get my motor going to just sit down and start working on something I'd be much happier. This seems to happen to me at some point every year. I know I'll get the "mojo" back...... maybe I left it in my suitcase......

Yeah sometimes my "motivation" leaves me for awhile, even though I go to model car club meetings, car shows, cruise nights, and sometimes to nostalgia drag racing at the strip. Other times I get all "jacked up" and want to start ;bout 8 more kits. LOL! It's hard to figure out, so I just go with the flow.

Maybe a new summertime avatar pic would help Rich? LOL :lol: Time to retire the elf-n-magic one til it gets cold again...

I started on the '52 taillights, does that help the motivation?

We could meet up at the giant Wexford cruise some Friday nite, that'll get you going, what a selection of cars that show up!!!

Serious advice?

don't sit at the computer, sit in your hobby room/building space. go through your model stash or current projects. put two simple pieces together. next thing you know you will be building a model.

jb

Rich, I think you just got out of your normal routine by being away. The best way to solve it is to simply sit at the bench. Start to clean up a bit, fiddle with something that's on the bench, and the next thing you know, you are working on a model!

I haven't worked on a model since NNL East either. With all the tasks, both before and after the show, I had no time to build. Then I ran out to GSL and back home to a bunch of family stuff. And now I'm nurse maid to my wife who got out of the hospital yesterday. I'm hoping to get back to some projects that have been calling my name soon!

I thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I know this type of "slump" hits most of us at one time or another.

Jeff, it's cool that you started on those taillights... and thanks very much for that.

William, Mark and Tom, yeah I do actually have to clean and straighten up my work area so I'll have a fresh, clean space to mess up all over again.

I'm getting some good inspiration from the Google reference pictures I've been saving... I think the tide will be turning very shortly.

I'm really leaning towards starting work on the resin '56 Mercury from Modelhaus. These are the reference pictures that are kind of turning me on...

http://images20.fotki.com/v355/photos/9/3018309/13728725/Montclair2008-vi.jpg

http://images60.fotki.com/v778/photos/9/3018309/13728725/Lake_Placid_016-vi.jpg

The kit doesn't come with a continental kit or wire wheels, but I can add those pretty easily. It's not a convertible kit either but that's OK. It's the color combination that really caught my attention.

Looks like this may be doing the trick for me.

Yep Rich...I'm in that funk right now...have been for about a year?! Oh I've been buying stuff, whoopee! A buddy of mine that works at HobbyTown in Merrillville IN, said, "Hey man, build something different!" Well, I did do some other stuff...no pics yet...I did a diorama of a 1/72 scale Cessna floatplane. I sculpted the shore out of Das Pronto air dry clay, scratch built dock, grass, dirt, and yes...plenty of H2O ! I'll try to get pics up soon. :-)

Thanks guys. I know I'll get back into things soon enough. I've been pulling Google reference pictures for the resin cars I got and I'm getting some good inspiration from that.

Sounds like a research sabbatical and time to enjoy the weather. The northeast suffered WAY too much this year. I'm trying to spend as much time as I can outside now just so I can see what it looks like without snow!

Charlie Larkin