Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 scale woody

Harry P.

Time to build me a couple o' shootin' irons!

The stocks were cut from basswood with a sharp X-acto blade, and the rough shaping was done with said knife... raw piece on the top, lower piece with the beginnings of the shape carved...

Once I had both stocks roughed in, I used a sanding drum chucked up in my Dremel to quickly get closer to the final contours, using the photos Skip supplied as my reference. Finally I went to hand sanding to get the contours right. No real secret to doing this, it's just a matter of patience. Always easier to remove wood than to replace wood. After about an hour of very pleasurable work (I love woodworking), I was pretty much ready for stain...

More coming tomorrow...

After about an hour of very pleasurable work (I love woodworking), I was pretty much ready for stain...

Harry, this reminded me of your 1/16 wooden bipe; the Sopwith Camel(?) Shame it's not 1/8 scale to go with this but you could shoot it next to your 'test' 'Brake (1/16); I think both wood models would look smashing together.

Edited by Cato

Harry, this reminded me of your 1/16 wooden bipe; the Sopwith Camel(?) Same it's not 1/8 scale to go with this but you could shoot it next to your 'test' 'Brake (1/16); I think both wood models would look smashing together.

Had to have a little foray into that WWI build....it was an Albatross and very cool build

Have a desire to make a Sopwith Camel one day

Scott... right you are. That was an Albatross, IMO hands down the coolest-looking WWI plane of them all... a Fokker triplane in red would be my runner up... B)

Anywho... back to land-based vehicles. :D  After several hours of building. I now have a matched pair of English hunting shotguns for my woody. This is a first for me... in all my years of building scale models, i have never built a model gun  And now I've built two!

I stained the stocks and sprayed them with several coats of gloss clear acrylic. The barrels are styrene tube, and various small detail parts are made of bits of styrene rod, tube, and sheet. The "metal" side plates were cut from aluminum duct tape, and the triggers and trigger guards are soft silver wire that I flattened with pliers and bent to shape (I found the wire in the jewelry aisle of Hobby Lobby... it's a little harder than solder, a little softer than aluminum rod). The guns scale out to 48" long (30" barrels). They aren't 100% super accurate, but they will do the job representing period-correct shotguns in my woody. I think they turned out pretty well. B)

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I have to admit those guns turned out looking pretty cool. I'm happy with them.

OK... use your imagination and picture the tailgate actually installed on the car... because it isn't yet... :P

Tailgate closed...

Tailgate open...

And finally... gun case cover open...

I'm thinking of adding a few details to fill the open storage spots... maybe a hunting knife or two, a couple of boxes of shotgun shells, etc.

I suppose the RR is a bit too fancy for the likes of these fellas and their shootin irons

5acb23_d98dd71b70e20db5b1e95913ed298622.

They prolly cain't afford them purty Purdey shotguns at over $100,000 a pair, but if they cain't bring down British pheasants, they can sure mess up a passel of possums. Yummy.

Edited by sjordan2

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last update... "real work" has been keeping me busy, which is a good thing, because it's the "real work" that pays the bills.

But back to fun work... I'm on the opposite side now (left side), making the left side doors. I sort of glossed over the actual step-by-step of the doors when I showed you the right side, so let's backtrack a bit and show you how the doors are made, one step at a time...

The first step was to solidly define the actual door openings by adding the wooden pieces over the A-pilllars, and building the rear side panels of the body (the side panels behind the rear doors). The center door post, to which the doors will be hinged, was then cut to size and the mortises for the six hinges (three for the front door, three for the rear door) were formed. Here is the "hinge side" of the rear post of the left front door... the post that will be hinged to that center door post. The exact positions of the mortises on the center post were transferred to this piece, and the corresponding mortises were cut out. Also, I notched the inside bottom of this piece, to clear the floor when the door is closed...

91_zpsukxrebu0.jpg

Oops... I just realized that this is rear post of the right side front door. But you get the idea... left side is just a mirror image.