Model Cars Magazine Forum

In the past I have used them to pack away my models when I moved. I still save them just in case as I have usually moved every couple of years in the past. Now I think I'm just "hording" since I've been at my present location for 15 years. I have never lived anywhere that long before.

If the boxes are from the 50s,60s,70s era I keep them love the old box arts...reminds me of better days...if I am having a bad day just to look at them makes me feel better in a way. I also use them for storage of kits,build ups and project builds/restoration projects. I never cut them up but have also used them for wall art...push a thumbtack through the bottom into the wall and just slip the box cover on it.

If the boxes are from the 50s,60s,70s era I keep them love the old box arts...reminds me of better days...if I am having a bad day just to look at them makes me feel better in a way. I also use them for storage of kits,build ups and project builds/restoration projects. I never cut them up but have also used them for wall art...push a thumbtack through the bottom into the wall and just slip the box cover on it.

That's a really cool idea !

I save them, heck if you blink, 25 years have gone by! I'm amazed at how old stuff I've saved over my life has become!

Note that most model boxes will fold flat. And that's how I store them. I have a huge amount stored in one big box. Why do I save them? Why not, I have the space. And soon enough someone on a board will ask, "Does anyone have the box for the Lindberg Little Red Wagon, original release? And I'll be happy to send one to him!

Have a look on Ebay and they don't have to be old for someone to be willing to pay for them. Some sellers want as much for an empty box as what the whole kit should be selling for.. I amnot saying that they are getting what they want but you gotta give 'em "A" for effort.. :wacko::wacko:

Have a look on Ebay and they don't have to be old for someone to be willing to pay for them. Some sellers want as much for an empty box as what the whole kit should be selling for.. I amnot saying that they are getting what they want but you gotta give 'em "A" for effort.. :wacko::wacko:

Oh the eBay sellers. Those who will hope that some poor newbie doesn't figure out that they are just selling an empty box.

When I was new on eBay and eBay itself was new, there were few photos. The model category had no divisions between anything, so you scrolled through cars, military, figures... everything. And yet the category was small enough that you could browse through the entire thing.

Anyway... my first encounter with a shifty seller was in 1998 or so. I saw a kit I needed and bid. The seller even had a color photo of the kit box. I bid something like $17 plus postage. I got a regular size envelope in the mail with a kit instruction sheet in it. I immediately emailed the shifty seller, and although he had used a photo of the kit box, and the description was something like, "150 parts.. " he pointed out that somewhere in the several paragraphs he had included "ins". and that I was expected to know he was just selling the instruction sheet. And he wasn't making any adjustments.

There was no eBay protection of any kind back then, so I was pretty much stuck. It was a cheap lesson to learn and made me much more cautious in my dealings so it probably saved me a bunch more. And I gave him a Negative feedback, which he immediately retaliated. Yea, the good ole days!

That's a really cool idea !

Thanks John....it does no damage to the boxes or walls really and makes really cool wall art. If its a cool box its stays...if not its for storage. I have a few cool old boxes...always looking for more and what was in them.

Edited by disabled modeler

If the box is old and/or it's already rare even if it wouldn't be that old, it gets saved. Then if I like the boxart, I'll save it even if those kits weren't rare or old. Though nowadays when I buy lots of glue bombs and old builtups that often come without boxes, I haven't thrown a model kit box away for a long long time as they are great for storaging those projects. I'm having a bit problems with space, but at some point I guess that will make me sell some of my model kits or projects that I'm not so interested in instead of throwing those old boxes away...