Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC trikes

ratnasty

10 hours ago, Impalow said:

That MailBox trike kit is really fun...

I've seen it here before, but I still gasp in wonder! If I didn't know better, I'd think it was a big scale build - just superb.

A few years back, one of the well-known resin casters was working on an accurate conversion kit for the Mailbox Chopper, complete with Crosley engine, but apparently decided there wasn't enough of a market. I wonder if they'll consider releasing it now?

15 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

A few years back, one of the well-known resin casters was working on an accurate conversion kit for the Mailbox Chopper, complete with Crosley engine, but apparently decided there wasn't enough of a market. I wonder if they'll consider releasing it now?

Comparing images of the real Mail Box Chopper with the MPC kit, one can see just how vastly different most of the parts are. Perhaps MPC was satisfied with "close enough, it looks like a hot rod trike" at the time.

MailBoxTrike2.jpg.e6e572b36186b3a87355e5f9891cf4d6.jpg

MPCMailBoxChopper.JPG.406ee69a4bf2ee844534893c627e8605.JPG

Here's a good look at the orignal(?) issue, especially the decal sheet mentioned earlier in this topic: http://motoblogn.blogspot.com/2013/03/ed-big-daddy-roths-mail-box-chopper.html

Edited by Casey

On 1/16/2020 at 6:09 AM, Impalow said:

The engine is spectacular, with some minor detailing (plug wires, fuel lines and velocity stacks) it comes to life quite nicely.

I'm excited to build a few more of the trikes, as well as the kit bashing opportunity.

8EFBDB12-9F55-4F8E-AB37-78A6365CED29.JPG

A79342A4-49B1-4003-9A90-E49635558D41.JPG

C31FBD86-A656-409F-93F8-8DF6F10FF3F8.JPG

Where did you get those Firestones??  They be awesome!!

Thanks for the kind words guys!    Yeah if they made a Replica of the real Roth Mailbox I would be all over it... I have thought about scratch-building one....  but... too many other projects.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:03 PM, Ralph Henderson said:

Where did you get those Firestones??  They be awesome!!

They are these: Firestone Modified Tires

s-l300.jpg.e1fe6a929990c8eaf5d9c8be6d13c1db.jpg

Note that there is a pony tire, so to have a true set of bigs and littles you need to buy 2 sets...  They are always at NNL East, I have bought 2 sets every year with dreams of showrods in my head... just now getting around to using them on builds.

10 hours ago, Impalow said:

Thanks for the kind words guys!    Yeah if they made a Replica of the real Roth Mailbox I would be all over it... I have thought about scratch-building one....  but... too many other projects.

They are these: Firestone Modified Tires

s-l300.jpg.e1fe6a929990c8eaf5d9c8be6d13c1db.jpg

Note that there is a pony tire, so to have a true set of bigs and littles you need to buy 2 sets...  They are always at NNL East, I have bought 2 sets every year with dreams of showrods in my head... just now getting around to using them on builds.

cool, thanks!!

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2020 at 11:18 AM, Casey said:

Comparing images of the real Mail Box Chopper with the MPC kit, one can see just how vastly different most of the parts are. Perhaps MPC was satisfied with "close enough, it looks like a hot rod trike" at the time.

I'd bet the kit was designed before MPC and Roth crossed paths.  That was the only MPC kit that bore his name, it could be the only non-Revell kit associated with him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 7:29 PM, Casey said:
MPC-895 1/25 Milk Trike

So, looks like they're working their way thought the ones that were reissued by RetroHobby, with only one left from that group. Now what about the Cobra and Black max? Hopefully they follow through with all 6, especially the Black Max

33 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

So, looks like they're working their way thought the ones that were reissued by RetroHobby, with only one left from that group. Now what about the Cobra and Black max? Hopefully they follow through with all 6, especially the Black Max

I'm with you on this one ….need some parts to make my original whole again ( only need the back exhaust pipes and decals .

10 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Well, the art for this series of reissues says “collect all 6” so it seems like that’s the plan.  I hope so too - I’d particularly like the Black Max and Cobra myself!

On 1/16/2020 at 9:09 AM, Impalow said:

The engine is spectacular, with some minor detailing (plug wires, fuel lines and velocity stacks) it comes to life quite nicely.

I'm excited to build a few more of the trikes, as well as the kit bashing opportunity.

8EFBDB12-9F55-4F8E-AB37-78A6365CED29.JPG

A79342A4-49B1-4003-9A90-E49635558D41.JPG

C31FBD86-A656-409F-93F8-8DF6F10FF3F8.JPG

Typical Ritz quality...why am I not suprised!

10 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Typical Ritz quality...why am I not suprised!

That guy seems to build all the cool stuff I think of 2 years before I think of it...and better than I could build it ??.

That trike build is a really good benchmark for anyone building one of these though!  Definitely will be hard to build one better, in my opinion

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/18/2020 at 7:53 PM, alexis said:

So, What are the chances that the last Two, (Cobra Chopper & Black Max) will see the light of day? The Black Max is the only one of the 6 that moves me.

The last two are the ones I’m most excited about too - really hope they sell enough of the other ones to finish out the series!

I bought a couple each of the first two, so I’m trying to do my part here ?

Edited by CabDriver

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 11:18 AM, Casey said:

Here's a good look at the orignal(?) issue, especially the decal sheet mentioned earlier in this topic: http://motoblogn.blogspot.com/2013/03/ed-big-daddy-roths-mail-box-chopper.html

Apart from the front wheel, forks, tank, bars, body, rear wheels, tires, engine and frame they got pretty close!  Oh, and the lights ??

I wanted to make a replica of the Mail Box with the kit but I think that’ll be a complete scratchbuild project further down the line - and my build of this kit will just be a cool trike!

• 5 months later...