Model Cars Magazine Forum

How About An Old Survivor?

Tom Geiger

Many of you know that I seek out and preserve ancient builds. I see these as the folk art of our youth and I hope my posts have saved some old beauties that otherwise might have been broken up for parts.   I especially love cool old customs that were well thought out and executed, as well as those that just have a cool factor.  This is one of those with the cool factor. Dave Burket found this one in a collection and set it aside for me.

This has to be an original issue AMT 1932 Vicky kit.  In fact one of the things that makes it cool is that this looks a lot like the retro box that the kit is now out with!  

Our original builder did a great job of building a drag car.  All flat paints and period racing decals.  This one is barn fresh, I haven't even gotten around to cleaning it up. Per the rules of my Olde Kustom Kollection, these relics get a good cleaning, and any missing parts are replaced, but there are no improvements to be made!  We are preserving them as an art form, and we don't want to change history.

i

I've had this car a few months, and it's sat in plain view.  Only today did I realize that the body wasn't attached at the front, but it felt secure in the rear. A quick look revealed that the builder set it up like a funny car.  I went looking for the hinge and saw that he glued the fenders to the tires.  So if you turn the rear wire axle, the body opens up.  Actually pretty cool for an early 1960s kid.

So this mean '32 has earned it's spot in the Olde Kustom Kollection.  

Gene, I'm not certain, but the balls don't appear to have been painted.  I only have the release from around 1990 with the gray car on the box. That doesn't include the intake / carbs nor the headers.  I'm not sure if they were in the original release of the kit, or if the builder kit bashed them from something else.

I think it's cool Tom, it's got hot rod attitude. I love the little balls in the velocity stacks, do you know if those come in the kit? I've thought about getting the current issue of this kit, I like it.

Yes, the little balls come in the rerelease.

That's pretty cool, and I like your idea of preserving these old relics!

Couple years back I was buying a lot of AMT '64-'67 original Sting Rays off ebay, and bought a couple sets, collections and "junkyards" that had parts or bodies I needed and a bunch of other things I didn't. One of the "extras" is an MPC '66 (IIRC) Vette coupe set up as a drag car (I guess a dragster, more or less) and painted a purple metalflake (I think it's prolly AMT Grape metalflake). I go back and forth between trying to restore it to factory stock (I think I have all the parts), or just clean it up and fix it up a little, as you're doing. I think you're swaying me over to your way of doing things. B)

• 3 weeks later...