Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Ford "Shoebox"

Al Hoffman

This is my latest. It is an AMT '49 Ford donor kit with a Jimmy Flintstone body and the following additions:Shoebox_100.thumb.JPG.f198b6a826672e92f7

1. Complete Revell '49 Merc "Tuck 'n' Roll" interior with modified dash, padding, scratched package tray, Replicas & Miniatures handles & armrests. Rear seat needed to be narrowed about 3/16th inch. Used donor kit floor.

2. Parts Pack Cadillac engine with a trans/bell housing grafted on. Wired with the exhaust manifolds from the Merc kit.

3. Lowered using blocks in the rear & modified spindles up front. Solder coil springs.

4. Donor kit exhaust that have had the exhaust pipes extended to meet the manifolds. Stub pipes added to make the Lakes pipes functional.

5. Headlights & taillights frenched with scratched bullet taillamps & side chrome spear shortened.

6. Testors "One Coat Lacquer" decanted & shot with an airbrush for initial coats then wet coats applied from can. Coat of Future brushed on. Flame decals fro the '49 Merc applied. This takes a lot of setting solution & working to get them to conform. Two more coats of Future brushed on.

Hope you enjoy it.

Shoebox 200.JPG

Shoebox 004.JPG

Shoebox 200.JPG

Shoebox 003.JPG

Shoebox 600.JPG

Shoebox 700.JPG

Shoebox 800.JPG

Flintstone 005.JPG

To answer a couple of questions:

1. The color is Testor's "Mythical Maroon"

2. Can't take credit for the chopped top. That was part of the Flintstone resin body

3. Trying to Bare Metal the side windows did get the best of me. I freehand painted them

To answer a couple of questions:

1. The color is Testor's "Mythical Maroon"

2. Can't take credit for the chopped top. That was part of the Flintstone resin body

3. Trying to Bare Metal the side windows did get the best of me. I freehand painted them

The freehand paint route was a smart way to go, looks great.

• 2 weeks later...

I can never get them around contours that easy. The hood looks really doifficult. I used the louvered hood on my Merc with the smaller flames coming from the louveres. Couldn't do the big flames or even the ones coming from headlights without them tearing. Yours look perfect and not even the model they were intended for. Hats off to you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very good looking Shoebox Ford! It looks pretty much like I'd want mine if I had one in full scale. Those body shapes are just about perfect and your nice paint job with those flames really finish it off. It's hard to believe that the interior from Revell's Mercury fits there with that little modifications. Excellent job.

Only thing on the styling that I'd do a bit different would be adding a rear bumper. A smooth bumper without any bumper guards or anything would look very good on there. But it's very cool like this, too.