Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can some one please explain this with out the "Nuck, Nuck's" or referral to "Wise Guys" ?

There wasn't a whole lot of nuance in a Stooge's short.

Nuance.....Say......that's de woid what some guy in anudder tread used.

The Three Stooges were a staple of after school television in NYC for years. Officer Joe Bolton hosted the 3 Stooges Fun House. Rocky & Bullwinkle were also favorites. Both were on WPIX Channel 11. The Stooges were taken off the air after parents' groups complained about the violence. Whatsamatta, your knucklehead house apes didn't know it was all pretend? Moe! Larry! Cheese!

17e534130a0c5719de115c6a6c601142.thumb.j

But the lack of intelligence is what made the Stooges funny!

You got that right! What kid would prefer intelligent, parlor room humor over Moe ripping a couple handfuls of Larry Fine's hair out of his head? Not me, brudda. Gimme some pliers and stick your tongue out, porcupine! Rocky & Bullwinkle were something else, funny in a way that made you think because of all the pop culture/current events references. I can't explain why ( I can; but, that's another topic best left for another time ;) ); but, it seems that we kids (in the early-mid 1960s) were pretty savvy when it came to "getting" the inside jokes and pop culture references in those and other cartoons like Mr. Magoo and Loonie Tunes (especially the Bob Clampett- directed episodes). Maybe, it's because we read more, especially newspapers, and watched movies more often (no all cartoon channels back then) than kids do today ( that is, within the last 30 or so years).

Edited by SfanGoch

A true connoisseur of comedy, you are. I doff me dicer to anyone what quotes Groucho Marx.chockconnors.thumb.jpg.e540437d8e590a13a

Jus', not right now. Some goriller poured molasses inta it when I wuzzint lookin' it an' it's stuck but good on me nut.

Edited by SfanGoch

Yes,I'll admit it. I watch the Stooges,Rocky & Bullwinkle,Little Rascals,Marx Brothers,and the occasional Popeye cartoon.. I've noticed one thing in common. The early ones seemed funnier.

It's usually that way. The writers run out of ideas. New writers are brought in and they recycle old storylines. I'm a big Merrie Melodies/Loonie Tunes fan. You can see the dropoff in story quality in the cartoons produced after 1955. They were unwatchable after 1962. The best Popeye cartoons were the early Fleischer Studios shorts. That they were B/W, they had a quirky, surreal feel to them. Being a born and bred New York City rat, I appreciated the seedy waterfront images in some of those early ones. The later A.A.P., Paramount (the guys who brought you Baby Huey, Herman the Mouse and, ugh, Casper) and King Features Syndicate TV cartoons were baaaaaaad.

Edited by SfanGoch

When will the Willys be out? And Groucho will always be my favorite. But, I love the others mentioned above (not Beves and Butt Head) too.

I'm not a gasser fan and it'd be nice to see a bone stock Willys coupe for a change.

Edited by SfanGoch

It's usually that way. The writers run out of ideas. New writers are brought in and they recycle old storylines. I'm a big Merrie Melodies/Loonie Tunes fan. You can see the dropoff in story quality in the cartoons produced after 1955. They were unwatchable after 1962. The best Popeye cartoons were the early Fleischer Studios shorts. That they were B/W, they had a quirky, surreal feel to them. Being a born and bred New York City rat, I appreciated the seedy waterfront images in some of those early ones. The later A.A.P., Paramount (the guys who brought you Baby Huey, Herman the Mouse and, ugh, Casper) and King Features Syndicate TV cartoons were baaaaaaad.

Right you are on all counts. some of those early cartoons weren't really made for kids. Watch some early Betty Boop with Bimbo. They're just strange. I love 'em. LOL

I'm surprised AMT hasn't thought to reissue their '36 Ford 5-window under this banner, as it has an actual appearance in a Stooge short:

smashedford.jpg

False Alarms (1936)

The AMT '36 has been restored back to its original form, as the three-window coupe.  The 1:1 '36 was probably wrecked in one of Columbia's feature films made in that time frame...the Stooges shorts were pretty low-budget, they wouldn't have wrecked a nearly new car in the making of one.  It'd be interesting to try and find out which movie used it first.

Yes,in that Stooges short with the 36 Ford , you don't actually see it get wrecked. The camera goes to bystanders ,and you hear tires screech ,they flinch and cover the eyes.  It still kind of hurts to see that car. but it would be like wrecking a Honda in a new movie.

A stock Willys?

That's about as rare as catching a glimpse of Bigfoot! :lol:

Funny that you should mention Bigfoot, Harry. There was a kid I went to school with named Gennaro. He was a 15 1/2 EEE in fifth grade.  Gennaro once told the class about the time he was chased through the woods by some guys with a camera when he and his family were on summer vacation in Washington State in 1967. Even as a youth, Gennaro bore a more than passing resemblance to the Kanamit in "To Serve Man". Last I heard, he was living somewhere around Rachel, Nevada involved with some type of government work.

I agree with  Dave, It's all about licensing and marketing to appeal to a larger audience. I recently sold a Kiss(the rock band) van from the late 70's for fairly substantial money. The buyer was not a modeler. He collected Kiss memorabilia. The tooling was just a Chevy van with a few extra parts and some decals. It is intelligent marketing.

I'm actually somewhat surprised that Round 2 hasn't contacted Kiss about reissuing that one, especially considering that not only have they done a monster truck in the Lindberg line, but the van that it was based on has been reissued as well.

I'm actually somewhat surprised that Round 2 hasn't contacted Kiss about reissuing that one, especially considering that not only have they done a monster truck in the Lindberg line, but the van that it was based on has been reissued as well.  

Figuring out who's in KISS might be an issue. Aside from Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley, how would the loot from the licensing fees be split? 

Figuring out who's in KISS might be an issue. Aside from Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley, how would the loot from the licensing fees be split? 

Good point. I suppose if instead of a straight reissue, a modified decals sheet with stylized version of the characters associated with their makeup/costumes, rather than exact likenesses of the members would get around that.

A few years ago I bough an old 'NFL Dallas Cheerleaders' va. It wasn't anything special but it was a celebrity van. I was vending at a toy show and put it out for $30 and the first person to look at it, bought it, no questions, never even cared about what was in the box. He was a NFL collector. If putting a different logo or face on a box helps keep Round2 or Revell or any model company in the profit column, I say go for it :) 

Which of you over 40 guys bought the old 'Laurel & Hardy' car when it first came out? Was it because you wanted another stock antique Ford? Or did the box art grab your eye? How about any movie or television car? Same theory, different execution :) 

Simmons and Stanley ARE Kiss now...they own the name and merchandising rights, and even the costume and makeup designs.  The other guys on the stage are hired help.  The original four guys were members but two were bought out when they left.