Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius ' 54 Hornet update 10/31 Chassis finished

smellyfatdude

I quite like how this has turned out so far. I hope you do too, 'cause I'm never foiling one of these Hornet coupes again! I'll do the ' 52 convertible, or maybe a resin hardtop, but I can live without ever having to squint that much again, quite happily. Duplicolor medium quasar blue over Tamiya TS-54 light metallic blue. Probably not a close factory match, but it's a nice, subtle effect with the slightly darker roof. So, I'm fine if it's a day two car. The interior pretty closely matches a couple cars I found reference pics of, and for that I used grey primer and Krylon Bahama Sea. The blue had too much gloss, so I brushed on a couple coats of Tamiya flat clear, then brushed some Testors dullcote on the grey portion of the seats. All the rest of the pieces are painted, and for those of you who've foiled one of these I think you'll agree, the hard part is done. ;)

foil%20001_zps6egmiptq.jpg

foil%20002_zpsj5o8zrt1.jpg

foil%20005_zpsqvhg1dea.jpg

foil%20011_zpsv5ga05p5.jpg

Edited by smellyfatdude

I know what you mean about the foiling.I'm just starting to do the foil on my '53 Hornet and those miniscule belt line mouldings are driving me nuts trying to get them done!I'm dreading trying to do the side window frames.This model may be the first one where I need my Optivisor to do foiling.

Edited by ZTony8

What you have done so far is outstanding. I have this kit unstarted and feel the chrome trim on the rear fender area is too lightly molded. Was it raised enough for the blade to follow?

BTW, I'm in 100% agreement with you on the upper chrome. I did the '53 and kept saying there has to be an easier way to do this. Finally gave up on the roof line molding and brush painted between them. The '54 looks a little easier.

image.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated. Al, the side trim wasn't too bad, even for me and I'm half blind. You can see there actually is a fairly prominent ridge there along the trim, where you have to cut. My instinct is always to cut a little wide anyway, then go back and give the foil a closer trim if it's sticking out a little too far. But those side windows . . . . . aack! Try it with ultra bright chrome, that's what I used on the entire body. It's a lot thinner, tears easier, twists itself in to the shape of a curly french fry when you peel it off the sheet, and doesn't stick anywhere near as well. But ooohhh, that shine! B)

Thanks again for the input. Haven't had much time to build anything, but I did get the door panels and dash finished. Like on the ' 53 kit, the trim on the interior panels just wasn't there, so once again I added Evergreen strips and foiled them. They didn't score a win with the location of the rear window cranks on this one, either. They're still a couple scale inches too high. But ehhh, it's a Moebius kit, right? I'd still tell anyone who'd never built one to go ahead and just do it. ;)

panels%20003m_zpsw0lsgvzh.jpg

I've been trying to get some other projects painted while the weather is co-operating. I convinced myself I don't do enough builds in fun colors, so I painted this ' 66 Cutlass with Krylon Dual satin ivory over Testors one coat flaming orange, then clear coated with Rustoleum lacquer..

panels%20008m_zpsrjxz9udj.jpg

And the ' 60 Desoto, sprayed yesterday with the Krylon ivory over Duplicolor Bright Teal. Looks like a fun color, too! :D

panels%20015m_zpskmntwcqi.jpg

Edited by smellyfatdude

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated. Al, the side trim wasn't too bad, even for me and I'm half blind. You can see there actually is a fairly prominent ridge there along the trim, where you have to cut. My instinct is always to cut a little wide anyway, then go back and give the foil a closer trim if it's sticking out a little too far. But those side windows . . . . . aack! Try it with ultra bright chrome, that's what I used on the entire body. It's a lot thinner, tears easier, twists itself in to the shape of a curly french fry when you peel it off the sheet, and doesn't stick anywhere near as well. But ooohhh, that shine! B)

foil%20006m_zpslkctcwwi.jpg

This is terrible news! Im building the kit right now so im going to have to go through all this as well! I also am using ultra bright and I know what you mean. It sucks but the result is great.

Edited by Anderson_15_