Model Cars Magazine Forum

'56 Ford custom

restoman

Summer's coming to an end and since my "paint booth" is in my un-heated garage, I've gotten all my spray projects done and ready for building.

This is the last of them. Fresh off the stand, still needs polishing.

The main body is Chrysler Cool Vanila, left over from my bodyshop. Top and scallops is Model Master Burgundy, though it looks more brown than burgundy... but I like it.

Cleared with Pro Spray automotive 4:1, thinned out way more than recommended. :)

This is the first time doing any custom painting on this scale. Spent decades doing it in real life scale. 

I was waiting for Tamiya 2mm tape for the scallops bit it started getting colder and I opted for 1/8" 3M Fine Line. It works fantastic on full scale work, very tricky to get tight curves on a 1/25 scale... I ended up slicing it down the middle and then using it. Still wanted to buckle on the inside curve but I made it work.

56 ford 1.jpg

56 ford 2.jpg

56 ford 3.jpg

56 ford 4.jpg

Thanks for the compliments. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, though I did lay the clear on a bit heavy. Should have stopped at one coat, instead of two.

Polished it today and back into the box it goes... so many others ahead of it, it might be a while before finish it.

• 3 months later...

Back at it...

I was going to use the kit-supplied custom grill and bumper, but it looked too... kittish. ? I was after something that looked a bit more realistic.

I found some old speakers and one gave up it's mesh grill. It's steel too! Possibly a little big, but I like it.

I'm slicing the custom bumper away from the grill and am part-way through narrowing it to fit completely inside the grill opening. When its done, I'll foil it and polish the living snot out of it for that chrome look. Maybe a pic or two of the roughed out bumper tomorrow...

I tunneled out the headlight buckets and mounted the lights from the backside for a more frenched look.

56 ford 2.jpg

56 ford 1.jpg

Something like this...

After seeing it in pictures, I've been thinking of maybe some light pods or small Dagmar caps close to the outer ends, to add a bit of zing. It's nice and simple now, but is it too plain?

I plan on cutting a groove from end to end on the leading face and inserting some thin wire, for a bit of a contour look. That's the only way I can think to be able to foil it.

I know the mesh grill isn't centered but I had a tricky time getting it to fit and finally just glued it in there. It'll have to do...

Comments?

56 ford 5.jpg

56 ford 3.jpg

56 ford 4.jpg

Edited by restoman