Model Cars Magazine Forum

Those who love rebuild old model kits

The devil must be delighted, seeing that so many of you obviously traded your souls to him for your abilities.

Na...Its just the love of seeing them live again and be something Christian....you would be amazed at just how many hours go into some of the restorations of these...LOL...but for someone like me what else am I going to do with all the time to kill...LOL...

I have to add in... All of these examples posted here are truly great models. The fact that they come from such "challenging" beginnings makes them all the more impressive.

Mark - Yep. True to this thread, it's the only way I could afford to replace the MM I had when I was young. The repo decals are out there. The only part I am missing is the blue tinted rear window. I am still trying to figure out how to recreate that. Oh, the gas gas pedal/ body actuator is missing too. I am pretty sure  can make that.

Scott

I do a little of this, too. Slowly, like all my other projects. 

I wonder if this would be a good sub-category for On the Workbench? It seems to merit enough interest.

A rebuilder interest board...hmmm.

Charlie Larkin

Sounds like a great idea to me!

But then again, this is right in my wheel house, so I might be a little bias! :D

Steve

I recently found an eBay built-up of a kit that I had as a child. It is the MPC Datsun Pickup. It had been built poorly and painted with what seems to have been automotive touch up paint over the bare plastic which scarred the plastic. I've been sanding and priming for days and just got it smooth enough to repaint. With any luck I'll soon have an inexpensive recreation of a kit that I destroyed long ago. Hopefully, I'll take better care of this one!

Nice Falcon.  Great save.  I rebuilt a 65 Corvette awhile back.  The body wasn't in to bad of shape and not painted, but, the rest was real bad.  Here are some pics of some of the parts that needed work.

The glass needed a lot of work to get it lookin good.

This how she turned out.  I was able to save most of the original car and used wheels from the parts box along with the rear bumpers.

Rebuilding these kind of builds is a lot of fun and work to get them done.  I don't know of any site that is dedicated to rebuilds, but I sure would like to know if there are some.  Dan

I do a little of this, too. Slowly, like all my other projects. 

I wonder if this would be a good sub-category for On the Workbench? It generalms to merit enough interest.

A rebuilder interest board...hmmm.

Charlie Larkin

i'm with ya.it would great to have a rebuilders section.for builds in progress and the under glass section and a parts section and a in general section..I think I would be there more then any other section.I suspect Gregg would have to do it..all he needs is more work to do..it would be great..and maybe a section were info on how to do's could be placed..like getting models apart different techniques on that.how to make parts,how to polish  out clear plastic..stuff like that...I'm a nut about this part of scale modeling....Chris 

i'm with ya.it would great to have a rebuilders section.for builds in progress and the under glass section and a parts section and a in general section..I think I would be there more then any other section.I suspect Gregg would have to do it..all he needs is more work to do..it would be great..and maybe a section were info on how to do's could be placed..like getting models apart different techniques on that.how to make parts,how to polish  out clear plastic..stuff like that...I'm a nut about this part of scale modeling....Chris 

I would love to see a section just dedicated to "vintage plastic" as well,

Steve

Good topic.  Due to the subject matter, I haven't picked up a new kit in years, although new old tools are coming back slowly but surely.  I rebuilt 2 Uncertain T's, a Thunderbug, and an old Edsel Unreal FC (just waiting to add decals).  I plan on digging out my Bugs Buggy this weekend for a redo.  I also have a large scale Vette (Rod Shop?) but it has a broken windshield.  I'll have to look around the web for one or ask on this forum. 

• 3 months later...

Has anyone else seen the eBay seller "debuildrestorer?"  He takes old AMT/Jo-Han gluebombs and "debuilds/restores" them. The para below is boilerplate from his listings and describes what he does:

*WHAT I DO (mostly) - I BUY PREVIOUSLY BUILT 1958 THROUGH 1961 AMT AND JOHAN KITS (usually). I CAREFULLY DISASSEMBLE THEM, STRIP THE PAINT (when its needed) AND DECALS, AND REMOVE ALL CUSTOM GLUED ON PARTS. SOME ARE ROUGHER CONDITION WISE THAN OTHERS BUT I TRY TO MAKE THEM ALL EQUAL BY USING PLASTIC WELDING TECHNIQUES WITH LITTLE TO NO PUTTY, EVEN MAKING NEW PARTS WHEN NEEDED. IF THERE WAS A GREAT DEAL OF BODY WORK TO DO I NEED TO USE PRIMER TO ASSURE THAT IT IS WELL FINISHED. I USE AN IVORY PRIMER THAT CLOSELY MATCHES THE COLOR OF THE ORIGINAL PLASTIC WHEN NEW SO IT CAN BE BUILT IN THAT COLOR IF YOU AREN'T INTO PAINTING; "

Here's one of his old listings, for an AMT 60 Corvette:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLAWLESS-1960-CHEVY-CORVETTE-AMT-SMP-MODEL-KIT-SCREWBOTTOM-DEBUILT-RESTORED-/201535461904?hash=item2eec731a10:g:UQ8AAOSwwpdW1pc7

Edited by Mike999
error

I do this too.

Just got a 61 Sunliner Promo in Red to go with my 62 & 63.

ALL needed work, ALL CHEAP

62 & 63 needed windshield frame repaired

Easy work, just a couple pins through each A post into the header bar

61 was only $10.oo, but needs more

Full windshield frame replacement, and some deep scuffs in the body

Not too hard thanks to both RC@ & Round2 re-issuing the Styline Town-Vic hardtop!!

I have at least 2 BC Styline box art re-issues. 1 was started, primed & hood cut out

I can take all I need from that one Including the windshield frame!!!!!

Interesting that the Retor-Deluxe from Round2 had New box art and a Standard size box!!

This is also how I got my 60 Impala Convert, 60 & 63 F-100 Pickups, 61 Bonneville Convert

60 El Camino, 

Has anyone else seen the eBay seller "debuildrestorer?"  He takes old AMT/Jo-Han gluebombs and "debuilds/restores" them. The para below is boilerplate from his listings and describes what he does:

*WHAT I DO (mostly) - I BUY PREVIOUSLY BUILT 1958 THROUGH 1961 AMT AND JOHAN KITS (usually). I CAREFULLY DISASSEMBLE THEM, STRIP THE PAINT (when its needed) AND DECALS, AND REMOVE ALL CUSTOM GLUED ON PARTS. SOME ARE ROUGHER CONDITION WISE THAN OTHERS BUT I TRY TO MAKE THEM ALL EQUAL BY USING PLASTIC WELDING TECHNIQUES WITH LITTLE TO NO PUTTY, EVEN MAKING NEW PARTS WHEN NEEDED. IF THERE WAS A GREAT DEAL OF BODY WORK TO DO I NEED TO USE PRIMER TO ASSURE THAT IT IS WELL FINISHED. I USE AN IVORY PRIMER THAT CLOSELY MATCHES THE COLOR OF THE ORIGINAL PLASTIC WHEN NEW SO IT CAN BE BUILT IN THAT COLOR IF YOU AREN'T INTO PAINTING; "

Here's one of his old listings, for an AMT 60 Corvette:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLAWLESS-1960-CHEVY-CORVETTE-AMT-SMP-MODEL-KIT-SCREWBOTTOM-DEBUILT-RESTORED-/201535461904?hash=item2eec731a10:g:UQ8AAOSwwpdW1pc7

There was a member here that bought one of his restored builders. In a pm we talked and he didn't seem to be to impressed with the quality .

He's had a few kits that were on my want list. But they've  always sold for more than I was willing to pay.

Thats the nice thing about Ebay, if you miss out on one ,,,just be patient  ...... there WILL be another one along shortly. I guarantee it