Model Cars Magazine Forum

What AMT/MPC Molds Might Still Exist at Round 2?

Might exist? They all 'might' exist in one form or another but what really exists I doubt anyone really knows for sure :) I wonder if there was ever an accurate inventory done of the molds, artwork and all the other stuff needed to make a kit when Round2 took over. There may be stuff buried under boxes, stashed on shelves or wherever.

Just for the record...how many of you know exactly what you have in your stash? Kits, parts, builts, etc., If you don't know, maybe they don't either :( 

One question I have asked is, was there ever a complete list made of all the AMT, MPC kits ever produced? I have the Revell book and the Monogram book and they have a lot of stuff listed, although they do miss a kit once in a while. Does Round2 have a list? Hmmmmmm..... 

Howard Round2 is working on a list, when they have time they are going through what they have and looking at the condition to see what is and is not usable currently. It is a work  in process. Takes a lot of time to do this . Not only do they have to inspect the cavity of the molds but they have to check the inserts and the injector pins. 

Why do I keep bringing this up ? 

If they do not have a list of good tooling how are they going to decide what to release. 

Howard Round2 is working on a list, when they have time they are going through what they have and looking at the condition to see what is and is not usable currently. It is a work  in process. Takes a lot of time to do this . Not only do they have to inspect the cavity of the molds but they have to check the inserts and the injector pins. 

Why do I keep bringing this up ? 

If they do not have a list of good tooling how are they going to decide what to release. 

Think this tread is about dreaming and wondering, no more no less...

;^)

You must have a nice stash then.

Snake...I do not believe the early Corvair molds were ever modified to my memory.  AMT made 2 versions of the Factory stock 66 Buick Skylark...one a curbside and the other a full detail kit..I have both but they both need parts to restore them...Id buy ether version if they were re-issued most likely many of them.  A lot of builders do not like the curbsides or snaps or promo like kits...to me they have loads of potential and worth the time...I love them myself always looking for more.  Maybe they could re-issue the old Craftsman kits as a quick build or snapfast plus like line..???  Id buy them.  I believe the mold AMT re-tooled of the 66 Buick Skylark was the full detail glue kit one...maybe they have the other one still..?   Their 70 Buick Wildcat was a hit...I should have gotten more of them.

Good jumping-off point for discussion. Are we sure there were two sets of tooling for--just since you brought it up--the '66 Skylark? I was always of the impression that in most if not all cases there would have been just one set of tooling, with hood insert for the promo/Craftsman moldings. I know for a fact that in the case of the Skylark, there's a rather prominent flaw found on the left side of both the Craftsman and the full-detail annual kit. I've always assumed that AMT altered this one set of tooling into the dreadful dirt tracker, and thus the Craftsman is as dead for possible reissue as the full kit.

Or am I wrong about this?

Is it true that the AMT '65 GTO and the MPC '69 Camaro were both once retooled as dirt-trackers, and subsequently restored back to something somewhere in the general neighborhood of "stock"? If so, it MIGHT be possible to bring the Skylark back from the dead as well--assuming, of course, that R2 estimated that this would be financially feasible.

Interesting....

I've been "down sizing my" my stash for the last couple of years, and I may not be done yet. I'm being more realistic 'bout how many kits I'm going to build and actually finish. Besides I'm tired of trading ca$h for plastic, only to have the kits sit on a pile and grow bigger with every purchase.

I have sold around 2500 kits this year....yet I buy more!!!  I have enough now to build one a day for many many years......

Someone is marketing right!! 

I don't remember what else was in the series, but I think that there could be real hope for these.

Ultra Violet - 1961 Ford Galaxie hardtop
Peony Pony - 1964 Ford Mustang hardtop
Sunflower Power - 1962 Buick Electra 225 hardtop
Buttercup Bomb - 1960 Pontiac Bonneville hardtop
Magnolia Mauler - 1960 Mercury Park Lane hardtop

Bird Of Paradise - 1960 Ford Thunderbird hardtop

Anyway, I screwed up. The '62 Galaxie's last iteration was as the Turista Turismo in the Mexico series, together with these:

Caliente Bandido - 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente hardtop
Mexicali Mudlark - 1966 Buick Skylark hardtop
Tequila Mockingbird - 1963 Ford Thunderbird hardtop
Boondock Bomber - 1959 Buick Invicta hardtop
AMT El Ranchero Grande - 1961 Ford Ranchero

Yeah. And I want them all. Now!

Not that the rest of us don't........25 years as a Analyst sometimes makes MY answers more analytical than dreaming.......add working in the industry now.....  will color MY answers at times.........thx 

Dave, I've intended no disrespect to your experience and expertise here. You have been an INVALUABLE friend and influence to this hobby, and are probably the reason many of these molds still exist today, to say nothing of the thousands (tens of thousands?) of great models that have been built (or even just "collected") due to your efforts. B)

Caliente Bandido - 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente hardtop
Mexicali Mudlark - 1966 Buick Skylark hardtop
Tequila Mockingbird - 1963 Ford Thunderbird hardtop
Boondock Bomber - 1959 Buick Invicta hardtop
AMT El Ranchero Grande - 1961 Ford Ranchero

You forgot the Che Riviera '65 Riv. Or was that not considered part of that series? (It's the only one of these I actually own a copy of.)

Might the MPC '70 GTO (which I don't believe has been seen since the late '80s) body molds still exist? Or would they have been converted into the common, oft-reissued '72? (I'm not a huge fan of '70 GTO, but I know a lot of people are.)

I was pleasantly amazed to find the completely stock '69 GTO body in the reissued Judge funny car.

Edited by Snake45

Might the MPC '70 GTO (which I don't believe has been seen since the late '80s) body molds still exist? Or would they have been converted into the common, oft-reissued '72? (I'm not a huge fan of '70 GTO, but I know a lot of people are.)

That mold is shot and wouldn't mind, it falling off a forklift.

same for the '67 which shares a lot of inserts appearently

Edited by Luc Janssens

I would add a couple more to Junkman's list.

MPC

1968 Coronet R/T stock or Fever bedding car

1969 Coroner R/T  stock or Superhemi drag car

Much as I too would love to see the '68 Coronet back, I'm pretty sure that tool became the '69. And then, I'm guessing, the '70. (Anyone know for sure?)

You forgot the Che Riviera '65 Riv. Or was that not considered part of that series? (It's the only one of these I actually own a copy of.)

That was in the Cuba series and I think those weren't made from promo tools, but full kits made from annual tools.

Che Riviera - 1965 Buick Riviera
Havana Banana - 1965 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 hardtop
Beard of Paradise - 1965 Lincoln convertible/custom wagon

That mold is shot and wouldn't mind, it falling off a forklift.

same for the '67 which shares a lot of inserts appearently

Good riddance to both. Ditto for the AMT '65 GTO, which are both abundant and cheap on the secondary market.

The '60-'63(?) Ford Pickups are most likley gone for good, and Jamie mentioned in his Hanger Shot blog post comments. He didn't say 100%, never ever happening, but I would suggest buying an original if you're hoping to own one in your lifetime.

I have a little more hope for other Lensey-era AMT kits after seeing the VW Scirocco and now the Sunbeam Alpine kits announced. It would not surprise me to see the VW Rabbit and Subaru BRAT reissued in the not-too-distant future, too.

Still standing by the '58 annuals rumor, since they would qualify as "looooooooong time."

That was in the Cuba series and I think those weren't made from promo tools, but full kits made from annual tools.

Che Riviera - 1965 Buick Riviera
Havana Banana - 1965 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 hardtop
Beard of Paradise - 1965 Lincoln convertible/custom wagon

Ah! I didn't realize those were two different series! Thanks for the clarification!

and now the Sunbeam Alpine kits announced. It would not surprise me to see the VW Rabbit and Subaru BRAT reissued in the not-too-distant future, too.

Sunbeam Alpine? I saw the Tiger announced. Are they bringing back the 4-cyl engine and Alpine badging, as in the original Get Smart issue?

Just for completeness (the promo-based AMT "Junior" serieses I mean), there was the Jr. Trophy series, and the Craftsman series,
which are often mixed up. At least I mix them up often.

Jr. Trophy:

1957 Ford Thunderbird w/hardtop (note: this is made from the promo tool and differs significantly from the Trophy series kit)
1959 Ford Galaxie hardtop
1959 Edsel hardtop
1959 Buick Invicta hardtop
1960 Chevrolet wagon
1963 Chevrolet Nova wagon
1963 Ford Falcon convertible

Craftsman:

1964 Mercury Comet Caliente hardtop
1959 Mercury Park Lane convertible
1965 Chevy II hardtop
1960 Ford Starliner hardtop
1963 (?) Mercury Comet convertible
1960 Pontiac Bonneville hardtop
1964 Ford Galaxie hardtop
1964 Valiant Signet hardtop
1965 Valiant Signet hardtop
1965 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu hardtop
1959 Chevrolet Impala convertible
1960 Lincoln Continental hardtop (has separate roof and IIRC convertible cover included)
1963 Chevrolet Corvair Monza convertible
1964 Chevrolet Corvair Monza hardtop
1963 Chevrolet Impala hardtop
1957 Ford Thunderbird w/hardtop

I'm pretty sure this is incomplete/incorrect and hope someone in the know will correct it soon.

However, would assume that most of the tooling could still be around, although in what condition is anybody's guess.
Especially the later "laugh in" editions were hopeless rescue attempts of an ailing company on the brink of bankrupcy.

I've heard rumours of tooling being sold for scrap to generate some cash, but this sounds to me like selling one's last coat and
pair of boots at the beginning of Winter.

Also note how some of those tools got dusted off more often than others. Especially the '64 Comet appears to have nine lives.

Entirely btw, who would have thought the '59 Imperial tool is still alive and well?

Sunbeam Alpine? I saw the Tiger announced. Are they bringing back the 4-cyl engine and Alpine badging, as in the original Get Smart issue?

That would be oof!
All one would have to do then is convert the instrument panel so the steering wheel is on the correct side.

You can itemize the possible kits from the impossible, by considering the revised annuals. For example the AMT '65 Impala will never come back as it became the '66 Impala which is now a Modified Stocker. If you know your kits pretty good, you can eliminate a lot.

What is difficult are the possible kits that didn't survive the trip from Detroit to AMT/Lesney Baltimore back in 1978 or so. 1969 is a year that many old kits were reissued and then forgotten for the '70s or modified into something else. In the case of the 1934 Ford pickup, I heard the bill wasn't paid for and the molder let Lindberg have it. Some others I heard had tools left outside to the elements only to be ruined.

The '59 Imperial didn't totally survive. It had new parts made to complete it. I am wondering how many kits are in the incomplete state.

It will be interesting what Round2 has new/uncovered to offer.