Model Cars Magazine Forum

Words/Phrases You're Sick Of Hearing?

Snake45

Of course most of these phrases that are in this thread were dreamed up by corporate cheerleaders/psychologists or TV news people that need to justify their enormous paychecks by sounding like they have just said something that is way above most people's level of comprehension, when in reality they have just said exactly NOTHING! For example, my earlier quote, of course we do ALL our thinking "outside the box", because if we were truly "inside the box" the ONLY thing we would be thinking is "how do I get out?"!!

The funny thing is, I do alot of my thinking 'in the box' when at work...in my cubicle (not a completely closed box, of course).. ;0

But don't you still spend alot of time thinking "how can I get out of here?"!

Yeah, ... thinking about the next gig....   the funny thing, in the software biz, I actually prefer working in a cube as opposed to an open office or a war room... I find those office approaches distracting, hard to focus.. great for communication, but so much of my work is very heads-down and detail oriented... (I did enjoy the one gig where I a had private office, though). 

war room

Gee, I forgot that gem. Once again, thanks. 

"war room", "bunker mentality", "spending time in the trenches", "'targeting' clients", "sales forces" and other pompous, exaggerated corporate jargon borrowed from the military and liberally thrown around by beta males (Definitely not directed at you, Rob. You know the types. They're in every suit and tie environment.) in order to reinforce their non-existent masculinity, establish their tough guy creds and to impress their fellow testosterone-deficient co-workers malingering around the latte machine.

Anything that Bob Costas says or writes. Would it be asking too much for him to get lockjaw?

"war room", "bunker mentality", "spending time in the trenches", "'targeting' clients", "sales forces" and other pompous, exaggerated corporate jargon borrowed from the military and liberally thrown around by beta males... in order to reinforce their non-existent masculinity, establish their tough guy creds and to impress their fellow testosterone-deficient co-workers malingering around the latte machine.

I love this guy. :D

And then there's the gangsta wannabes. 

Couple weeks back, I overheard this white-bread daddy-yup in the bank talking ghetto to one of his neighbors waiting in line next to him, all this jive shitt about how he was going to be hangin' in the hood all weekend. Tough guy. Yeah. Billy bad.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

"war room", "bunker mentality", "spending time in the trenches", "'targeting' clients", "sales forces" and other pompous, exaggerated corporate jargon borrowed from the military and liberally thrown around by beta males (Definitely not directed at you, Rob. You know the types. They're in every suit and tie environment.) in order to reinforce their non-existent masculinity, establish their tough guy creds and to impress their fellow testosterone-deficient co-workers malingering around the latte machine.

Anything that Bob Costas says or writes. Would it be asking too much for him to get lockjaw?

When I worked for a consulting firm a few years ago, at the initial meeting with a new client, the firm's CEO told the client that he would have 'boots on the ground' the following Monday...i.e. myself and 2 other software engineers at their office w/ our Mac Book Pro laptops getting started on a project....not exactly soldiers in enemy territory.

Couple weeks back, I overheard this white-bread daddy-yup in the bank talking ghetto to one of his neighbors waiting in line next to him, all this jive shitt about how he was going to be hangin' in the hood all weekend. Tough guy. Yup. Billy bad.

When I lived in Colorado Springs in the late 90s, one of my managers at a big telecom company was an obnoxious suburban middle aged golfer who was obsessed with WWF wrestling and gangster movies, he used to do a fake Hispanic gangster accent...greeting people as 'ese' or 'homes'...taking about 'busting caps', etc...was always quoting the movie 'Blood In, Blood Out'..

Couple weeks back, I overheard this white-bread daddy-yup in the bank talking ghetto to one of his neighbors waiting in line next to him, all this jive shitt about how he was going to be hangin' in the hood all weekend. Tough guy. Yup. Billy bad.

Yeah, the conversation always gets much more interesting when Joe shows up!! And you too Bill!

OK, here's another one and it relates to eBay.

When sellers put the description on an item and it says-----L@@K!! You might see this five, six, seven times in a row on a listings page, and I can't stand it! It's like someone scratching your brain or something!

If it's junky and a recent kit, and it's poorly built, I may not want to L@@K!! :angry:

OK, here's another one and it relates to eBay.

When sellers put the description on an item and it says-----L@@K!! You might see this five, six, seven times in a row on a listings page, and I can't stand it! It's like someone scratching your brain or something!

If it's junky and a recent kit, and it's poorly built, I may not want to L@@K!! :angry:

Bill if you're going to pop in eBay you might have to start a New Topic!:o For eBay mine is ....................RARE! Heck it's not "rare" to see 6 or 7 of the same kits listed with 1/2 listed as Rare.

You just reminded me of "the campaign trail," as if there were exactly one physical road or route to office and everyone was on it. I don't know if Hunter Thompson invented this term or just massively popularized it, but I wish he'd never written that stupid book!

"Like a BOSS!!!"....you mean like the idiot who got their position because they're related to/dating/screwing someone who doesn't have a clue what the heck they're doing or what's going on,but will take credit for everything,let their pets get away with murder while those who actually do more work than anyone else there get screwed on days off and other things? (obviously not ALL bosses are like that,but we've all had em...)

Misuse of "your" and "you're".

Same for "whose" and "who's".

And "its" and "it's".

The language has its share of inconsistencies, and it's sometimes not really obvious as to how to use your words right, or if you're going to make little mistakes that make you seem illiterate. Of course, who's to say whose place it is to correct mistakes in English, and why should anyone care anyway?  ;)

OH!  Ooooh, ooooh!  Mr. Kotter!  I have another one!!  Ooooh!  Ooooh!

'Boss.'   I ABSOLUTELY HATE this new generation referring to random people (especially ME) by the moniker 'Boss.'  They use it in place of 'Sir.'  In the "old days" it was bad enough that people who don't know you used and overused "Bud" or "Bub" or "Pal," but someone "Boss" is even more annoying and offensive.

Especially salespeople . . . if you are addressing a customer, either don't use a moniker or refer to them as 'sir' or 'madam' [or even "ma'am"], but lose the 'boss' carp.

Whenever I encounter that, I tell the offender, "Don't call me 'boss.'"   I've had a couple of counter persons get all huffy, saying something like 'it's just a term of address, dude!'  I tell them it's not, that since they don't know my name (and aren't going to) a term of address is 'sir.'  One of them got surly with me, and made the roll-eyes and smirk maneuver with his cohorts.  I told him, if I was his boss, he'd never treat a customer disrespectfully like that again.  

Rant over.

I would posit the first manned aircraft to have the honor would be one of the early X-planes. Pre-Phantom and Starfighter. I'll have to check dates and altitude records to be sure.

Bell X-2. 1956. Over 125,000 feet, aerodynamic flight controls almost useless.

I was there. My father was the club officer at the time, early fifty's, Edwards AFB. Got to meet a bunch of historic / iconic pilots.

There it is! Perfect!

When you said "running out of air," I thought you meant crashing (cleverly). Didn't realize that you actually knew what you were talking about! B)

BTW, a ballistic path, while uncontrolled, is perfectly predictable (assuming, of course, that you have all the factors with which to calculate).

Remember, we are talking about an aircraft going ballistic. Technically, most of the X aircraft from the X-1B on were not ballistic.  They were for the most part fitted with reaction controls which were very small hydrogen peroxide rockets at the extremities to maintain attitude control.  Also many of the X planes were rocket powered which allowed them to alter trajectory from the true ballistic flight path.  Being ballistic is different from setting an absolute altitude record.  Setting a absolute altitude record is all about controlled flight which is not being ballistic.  

Remember, we are talking about an aircraft going ballistic. Technically, most of the X aircraft from the X-1B on were not ballistic.  They were for the most part fitted with reaction controls which were very small hydrogen peroxide rockets at the extremities to maintain attitude control.  Also many of the X planes were rocket powered which allowed them to alter trajectory from the true ballistic flight path.  Being ballistic is different from setting an absolute altitude record.  Setting a absolute altitude record is all about controlled flight which is not being ballistic.  

I first encountered the term talking about air-to-air or ground-to-air missiles failing to guide. This could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Bad: "I had a steady tone and launched a Sparrow, and the stupid thing immediately went ballistic."

Good: "I shoved the stick forward and left, hard, and the SAM sailed right past my canopy and then went ballistic."

Well, if you want to get REAL technical, as far as I'm aware, the Bell X-2 had no "reaction-controls" (thrusters), and most likely, its main engine burned out before it achieved apogee.

So to split hairs further, the 125.000+ altitude of this particular aircraft would have seen it approach a ballistic flight path immediately after engine shut-down, and before it re-entered atmosphere of sufficient density to allow the full return of control-authority. :D

Yup. Kincheloe's record flight began with a trouble-free drop at an indicated airspeed of 225mph and at an altitude of 30,000 feet. Approximately six seconds later, the XLR25 was ignited, and the X-2 was pitched nose up and allowed to accelerate freely along its flight path. Propellant was exhausted at a pressure altitude of 104,000 feet. The X-2 then continued upward on a semi-- ballistic trajectory that took it four miles higher. After reaching the apex of its ascent, it stabilized in a gentle, nose-down attitude, and Kincheloe gingerly maneuvered it for the return glide to Edwards. The landing proved routine.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy